Coach AV returns next year? Yes or No

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Coach AV goes or stays?

Coach AV comes back next year
45%
Adios AV (good luck with the Habs)
55%

Total votes: 62

donlever
CC Legend

Re: Coach AV returns next year? Yes or No

Post by donlever »

ukcanuck wrote: lol put the gun down slowly and step away...

Hand gun?

Or rifle?
DeLevering since 1999.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

donlever wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: lol put the gun down slowly and step away...

Hand gun?

Or rifle?
I guess he would need a permit, registration papers, psychological background check, doctors note on pharmacology, a permanent address, and a credit check for a hand gun so probably a long gun but
I was picturing Clint fed up with people on his lawn in Gran Torino anyway...
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

tantalum wrote:
ODB wrote: So you agree, or you would assume Gillis agrees, immediate improvements are required.

Then why Fuckin bring him back? :wow:
Because the players want him back and believe he is the coach that can get them to where they need to go. Some boats aren't worth rocking at a time of CBA uncertainty.
The players want him back because he gives them a lot of leniency on how they play the game. I haven't seen a steady system in place by the Canucks throughout the year, it's been a lot of play this way one game and that way the next.

I don't make it out to too many games, but rarely do I see AV talking to his players on the bench after they've just finished a shift...the broadcast shows this happening all the time, but in the Canucks case, it's always an assistant coach talking to the players while AV is either laughing giving the player the stare down while he benches him for the rest of the game.

It's been 6 years with AV behind the bench:

Lost in the 2nd Round
Missed the Playoffs
Lost in the 2nd Round
Lost in the 2nd Round
Lost in the SCF
Lost in the 1st Round

In the early years he'd get slack because "He can only work with what he has in the lineup", now that he has the pieces in his lineup, he doesn't know how to coach them in a game 7 of the SCF then doesn't have them prepared to face the LA Kings in the first round the following year.

I too will go on the record and say I don't like the move, will gladly post in any "eat crow" thread if I'm wrong at the end of the year.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

I'm with the Ohdee led group for what it is worth.

Much prefer a fresh outlook from behind the bench.
DeLevering since 1999.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I am so pissed Gillis would bring back the winningest coach in franchise history and a guy who has led the organization to the greatest success in its history because there are many obvious alternatives that would guarantee us a cup next year.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

donlever wrote:I'm with the Ohdee led group for what it is worth.

Much prefer a fresh outlook from behind the bench.
Strangelove is also on record as sharing that position.
____
Try to focus on someday.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

herb wrote:I am so pissed Gillis would bring back the winningest coach in franchise history and a guy who has led the organization to the greatest success in its history because there are many obvious alternatives that would guarantee us a cup next year.

Why you smug, sarcastic SOB.

Must be a Saints fan.

8-)
DeLevering since 1999.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

herb wrote:I am so pissed Gillis would bring back the winningest coach in franchise history and a guy who has led the organization to the greatest success in its history because there are many obvious alternatives that would guarantee us a cup next year.
No, now see...

It's not so cut and dry. In 08 Pittsberg finished with 102 pts, second in the East. The year before they finished 105. Michel Therrien had successfully taken the Penguins out of the dark days that almost saw the franchise fold or move out of Pittsberg. Was nominated for the Jack Adams in the process. In 08 they faced the Wings in the SCF and lost in 6 games. After a lights out start Ray Shero FIRED Therrien and hired rookie head coach Dan Bylsma. Bylsma went 18–3–4 down the stretch. Won the Stanley cup and the Jack Adams.

Ray Shero has gonads!

Mike Gillis has none!
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Meh, our franchise history ain't so great though amirite?

Looking around the league...

Don Cherry has a better coaching points percentage than AV (minimum 200 games coached).

"Points percentage is determined by the number of points a team earns (equal to the number of ties and overtime losses, plus twice the number of wins) divided by the total possible points (equal to twice the number of games)."

Just sayin. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

ODB wrote:

Ray Shero has gonads!

Mike Gillis has none!
Nah.

I agree with the AV sentiment but GMMG didn't become a successful lawyer/player agent (who by all reports was a mega tough negotiator to sit across the table from) by not having gonads.

Dudes got balls, for some reason he's not using them in this instance.
DeLevering since 1999.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I will agree that Gillis tends to play it safe. Let's face it, ever since he came here, he has never done anything drastic. Most of the core players, coaches, scouts and support staff were from the previous regime, Gillis never cleaned house and put his own stamp/personel on the team. That being said, I don't mind bringing AV back. Not really sure what else is out there. More than anything, I think the Canucks need to change their players rather than the coaching staff.
Last edited by Todd Bersnoozi on Wed May 23, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Gillis does have the nuts and he has shown that when he knows what he wants he will go get it.

My feeling is that Gillis has some candidates in mind but they may not be available immediately.

I'm hoping for a short term extension (say 2 years) basically stating the time is now. This way if things do not go well for any stretch of time this coming season AV will be axed!
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

What's your stance on the Luongo - Schneider debate?

At least 100 games played:

Most Wins, Most Shutouts, Best SV%, Best GAA, 2 wins shy of most playoff victories

Put Schneider into the mix (68 games as a career backup)

CS has a better GAA and SV% in the regular season, but even with all those bad games, Luongo still has the better career GAA and SV% in the playoffs

Want more (playoffs):
Most games played: Roberto Luongo, 25 (2011)
Most wins: Kirk McLean, 15 (1994) & Roberto Luongo, 15 (2011)
Most shutouts: Kirk McLean, 4 (1994) & Roberto Luongo, 4 (2011)
Lowest GAA: Roberto Luongo, 1.77 (2007)
Highest save %: Roberto Luongo, .941 (2007)
Most shots faced in one game: Roberto Luongo, 76 (2007)
Most saves in one game: Roberto Luongo, 72 (2007)

FYI - Schneider hasn't proven anything as a starter...
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I will say this - I think the AV extension makes sense (you can always fire a coach, and for whatever reason the "lame duck" narrative seems to hold water in the NHL so less than a year on that contract would have been a bad thing).

That being said, I hope the Canucks are looking long and hard at the rest of the coaching staff; I don't know the exact dynamics of that group but if there really is one guy responsible for the powerplay (which was stale and eventually atrocious this year) and another responsible for the way the defensemen were used then these are the guys that will hopefully be justifying their existence in the organization next.

Of course, the exact same coaching staff is certainly capable of winning it all next year if Gillis goes out and gives them a more effective group of hockey players.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

ODB wrote:No, now see...

It's not so cut and dry. In 08 Pittsberg finished with 102 pts, second in the East. The year before they finished 105. Michel Therrien had successfully taken the Penguins out of the dark days that almost saw the franchise fold or move out of Pittsberg. Was nominated for the Jack Adams in the process. In 08 they faced the Wings in the SCF and lost in 6 games. After a lights out start Ray Shero FIRED Therrien and hired rookie head coach Dan Bylsma. Bylsma went 18–3–4 down the stretch. Won the Stanley cup and the Jack Adams.

Ray Shero has gonads!

Mike Gillis has none!
It's not as cut and dry as that either!

That's a pretty small sample size you're choosing there. Are you saying that we should hire a rookie head coach we'll win the cup just like Bylsma and Pittsburgh did?

Come on now. That's a ridiculous plan. Having balls and being stupid don't need to be synonymous.

Gillis has to pick the best guy for the job. If he thinks it's AV, then so be it. Who the hell am I to evaluate AV's performance? It seems as though he has done a good job, and I'm certainly not running him out of town. This is starting to remind me a bit of how some feel as though Luongo is being run out of town even though he is the best goaltender this franchise has ever seen!

Hmmmmm why are you guys running AV out of town? :D