Who is the best Canuck Forward in franchise history?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who do you think was simply the best?

Todd Bertuzzi
No votes
Pavel Bure
57%
Thomas Gradin
2%
Trevor Linden
7%
Alexander Mogilny
2%
Markus Naslund
5%
Daniel Sedin
No votes
Henrik Sedin
19%
Stan Smyl
5%
Tony Tanti
2%

Total votes: 42

Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Who is the best Canuck Forward in franchise history?

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Fred wrote:Yeah Fred - Hlinka is definitely synonymous with 'best Canuck forward in franchise history.'

Whenever I think of the all-time Canuck greats, I automatically think of Hlinka and Bubla, lollll.
Hey Farhan, Hlinka may not have garnered the attention and adulation in North America, but he was sometimes called the Czech Gretzky...! Although his playing style was probably closer to Esposito (big, get in the slot and unleash a shot).

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The Steamer AIAEC!

In second spot would be

*notices Ohdee put Tanti on list, left Kesler off* Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Southern_Canuck wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:
Fred wrote:Yeah Fred - Hlinka is definitely synonymous with 'best Canuck forward in franchise history.'

Whenever I think of the all-time Canuck greats, I automatically think of Hlinka and Bubla, lollll.
Hey Farhan, Hlinka may not have garnered the attention and adulation in North America, but he was sometimes called the Czech Gretzky...! Although his playing style was probably closer to Esposito (big, get in the slot and unleash a shot).

S_C
Let me think...

If I had to guess who I thought would be the only person at CC to pick Linden as the greatest forward in team history I think I'd pick???.....
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

On a magical night in 1988, our eyes met across a crowded rink, and I knew right away that that young lad you all know as Trevor Linden would be my one and only forbidden love. And it was when he put away his 30th goal that rookie season, he set up shop in that long forgotten, lonely place --- my heart.

I could hardly beleive it when our evil nemesis, Brian Leetch, ruined our Calder celebration... I had to return all of the party hats (they wouldn't take back the T.L. + S_C monogramed napkins). To spite him and the Eastern bias, there were 7 glorious points in 7 glorious playoff games - just as T.L. turned 19!

Together we struggled to build the team, and after True Love's (that's what I get to call him) 3rd 30 goal season in 91/92, we had our first visit to the second round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs since the 1982 playoff run. But little did I know what was in store...

That magical 93/94 season, Oh that magical 93/94 season. How can I ever repay you T.L.? After turning in his 5th 30 goal season, T.L. put the Canucks on his back, and carried them all the way to game 7 against NYR. But once again the Evil Leetch reared his ugly head - squashed our dreams, stole our Cup, and took our Conn Smythe trophy... and ushered in the dark era.

O Keenan, harbinger of death, how do I loath thee?

February 6, 1998. There, I said it. And we will never speak of it again.

T.L., forgive me - I had to take a mistress. How can you blame me? I could not help myself, with his flowing locks, and sweet wrist shot. Oh Markus. But I continued to long for T.L. --- bah, Islanders, Canadiens, Capitals --- I spit on you.

But - could this be? Yesssss! November 10, 2001 we are reunited! Oh T.L. how I've missed you - fresh off the Canucks' promising return to the playoffs against Colorado, my hero is back! Come to me, my True Love!

What is this? There is a darkness falling over the land, a creeping evil full of greed and trickery --- and it shall be known as the Lockout. But who was there to rescue me from this abyss, the edge of the annihilation of Hockey, with his gorgeous Van Dyke, and determined look.......?

My True Love! Championing all that is good and right! Standing up for the good of all, and saving the day.

O how wondrous art thou, my glorious saviour of Hockey.

Ahem... unsure.gif

S_C
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
SKYO wrote:I wish we had Bure in his prime for these last two playoffs, we'd be back to back Cup winners! :thumbs:
I wonder if the same can be said about the 1994 version of Trevor Linden or Kirk McLean?
Or the 2010/2011 Kesler, healthy of course :)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Topper wrote:
On a magical night in 1988, our eyes met across a crowded rink, and I knew right away that that young lad you all know as Trevor Linden would be my one and only forbidden love. And it was when he put away his 30th goal that rookie season, he set up shop in that long forgotten, lonely place --- my heart.

I could hardly beleive it when our evil nemesis, Brian Leetch, ruined our Calder celebration... I had to return all of the party hats (they wouldn't take back the T.L. + S_C monogramed napkins). To spite him and the Eastern bias, there were 7 glorious points in 7 glorious playoff games - just as T.L. turned 19!

Together we struggled to build the team, and after True Love's (that's what I get to call him) 3rd 30 goal season in 91/92, we had our first visit to the second round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs since the 1982 playoff run. But little did I know what was in store...

That magical 93/94 season, Oh that magical 93/94 season. How can I ever repay you T.L.? After turning in his 5th 30 goal season, T.L. put the Canucks on his back, and carried them all the way to game 7 against NYR. But once again the Evil Leetch reared his ugly head - squashed our dreams, stole our Cup, and took our Conn Smythe trophy... and ushered in the dark era.

O Keenan, harbinger of death, how do I loath thee?

February 6, 1998. There, I said it. And we will never speak of it again.

T.L., forgive me - I had to take a mistress. How can you blame me? I could not help myself, with his flowing locks, and sweet wrist shot. Oh Markus. But I continued to long for T.L. --- bah, Islanders, Canadiens, Capitals --- I spit on you.

But - could this be? Yesssss! November 10, 2001 we are reunited! Oh T.L. how I've missed you - fresh off the Canucks' promising return to the playoffs against Colorado, my hero is back! Come to me, my True Love!

What is this? There is a darkness falling over the land, a creeping evil full of greed and trickery --- and it shall be known as the Lockout. But who was there to rescue me from this abyss, the edge of the annihilation of Hockey, with his gorgeous Van Dyke, and determined look.......?

My True Love! Championing all that is good and right! Standing up for the good of all, and saving the day.

O how wondrous art thou, my glorious saviour of Hockey.

Ahem... unsure.gif

S_C
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ODB wrote: Image
:lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

Mogilny was an awesome player, and iirc, a really cool guy off the ice. Problem was, he had massive motivation problems which really detracts from the regard for him as a player - so much promise made disappointing by his lack of heart.

Bure was the most exciting player to have played for the Canucks in some of his best years.

Henrik has put up more points in a season and is a tremendously better all-round player. Growing up while Bure was a Canuck, though, sentimentality tips me into the Bure camp, regardless of how his career with this team ended.

If Henrik ever pulls a Bure-on-Churla... my vote might change.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ODB wrote:Image
the David Booth emoticon (master baiter)

Almo was also terrified of flying early in his career with Buffalo. Did some weird mojo to get over it, but I can't imagine the Vancouver sched helped him any.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Topper wrote:
ODB wrote:Image
the David Booth emoticon (master baiter)
LOL!

Booth has taken it's toll here.

David needs to check a confessional booth for his sins.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Scintillator
CC Veteran

Post by Scintillator »

When is the entry draft? This playoff thing is da shitz :mad:

Oh, and topic-wise... lest we forget:

Ron Sedlbauer ~ scored 40, half of them while on his ass, and has an NHL record, shared with Rick Nash.
Ivan Boldirev ~ always enjoyed watching his smooth stache in action
Derek Sanderson ~ yet another awesome stache, this time with "Real Panache" (tm)

Each exquisite talents in their own ways. :mex:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Scintillator wrote: Ron Sedlbauer ~ scored 40, half of them while on his ass, and has an NHL record, shared with Rick Nash.
For scoring on his ass? :?

And, hey, Patrik also holds an NHL record:
Most points, one playoff game: Patrik Sundstrom (Apr. 22, 1988) and Mario Lemieux (Apr. 25, 1989), 8
Lest we forget.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Fred wrote:A few missing players, Larinov, Hlinka and Bubla
Yeah Fred - Hlinka is definitely synonymous with 'best Canuck forward in franchise history.'

That's an age thing. If you watched those two dudes you likely wouldn't say that. Tremendous skilled players. Hlinka litterally toyed with NHL defensemen during his days with the Canucks, unfortunatley he was either in his late 30's when he played here or some said his forties. Bubla I recall was that strong. I recall one game when he held one young wanna be with one hand and summened the linesman over with the other...like get this little snot outta here :D I wish i had seen them in their prime
cheers
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

Almo.

I was surprised to be the first to vote for him. However, I see much mention of Mogilny in this thread. I don't remember a lack of motivation from him.

It was so cool to see Bure as a rookie, this was a tough poll for me. Mogilny did score more goals in a season than Bure ever did. Can we vote for Bure and Mogilny? :)

I remember years ago, can't remember who the Canucks just beat, but when interviewing a opposition player the response was "there's just too many bures and mogilnys on that team". Nough said for me.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

griz wrote:I was surprised to be the first to vote for him. However, I see much mention of Mogilny in this thread. I don't remember a lack of motivation from him.
I remember after a poorly attended game during the dark days, a reporter asked AlMo about the 12K and change in the stands that night; I couldn't give you his exact response but I believe it was along the lines of "I don't blame them, we were up against a good matchup on Monday Night Football" :lol:

I wouldn't say he was unmotivated per se, but he was obviously not dragging the team to victory on too many occasions after the rebuild started either. That first season aside, he played his best hockey before his stint in Vancouver (and some of it after, as well).