This years draft June 22nd in Pitts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

This years draft June 22nd in Pitts

Post by Fred »

Might be interesting to look forward to who Vancouver might take. This is from Hockey Buzz. It covers a number of mock drafts and each are reviewed

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ian-Espl ... /164/44514

Mock- defined by Merriam-Webster Dictionary as - Of, relating to, or having the character of an imitation.

Today I would like to look at some of the Players that various mock drafts have Vancouver selecting.

Jason Sapunka, of the Bleacher Report, has Vancouver selecting Colton Sissons of the Kelowna Rockets. His entire mock draft can be found HERE

Mike Chiari, of the Bleacher Report, has Vancouver selecting Slater Koekkoek of the Peterborough Petes. His entire mock draft can be found HERE

Derek Zona, of NHLnumber.com, has Vancouver selecting Damon Severson of the Kelowna Rockets. His entire mock draft can be found HERE

Holmes on NHL Hockey has Vancouver selecting Colton Sissons of the Kelowna Rockets. His entire mock draft can be found HERE

Bob Mand, of NHLmockdraft, has Vancouver selecting Hampus Lindholm of Rögle. His entire mock draft can be found HERE

Bill Placzek, has Vancouver selecting Brendan Gaunce of the Bellville Bulls. His entire mock draft can be found HERE

Colton Sissons- I would love to see this kid in a Vancouver jersey. You can tell in every interview that the kid eats, sleeps, and breathes Canucks. In my opinion, there is not a player in this draft that would play harder for Vancouver than Colton. His work ethic is his greatest attribute and the reason I think he will play in the NHL for a long time. I do have concerns over whether he will be much more than a third line player because of his limited offensive abilities, but with an attitude like Colton has, it wouldn’t shock me to see him become better than a third line player. He’s likely not the player I have going to Vancouver when I do my mock, but that’s because I think he will be going before 26.

Slater Koekkoek- Another pick that I don’t mind. Koekkoek is the type of player Vancouver needs to add to their D. At times this season, Koekkoek has looked like a top 10 pick, but because he has missed most of the year with a shoulder injury his draft position is a little unpredictable. What I like about Koekkoek is the passion he plays with, the nastiness he can bring, his skill, and his athletic ability (imo, one of the best athletes in the draft). What concerns me is the shoulder problem (with the game being as physical as it is, once you have a shoulder problem you can be stuck with it), and he can be a bit of an adventure in his own end. He’s another player that I’m not sure will be there, but if he is, he would make an excellent pick.

Damon Severson- I like Damon Severson, but I’m not sure he’s a first round pick. I think he has an NHL future, but he is more of a second round project to me. The kid has some of the tools to be a good player (size, decent skill, great shot, willing to hit, decent in his own end), but right now he is far to inconsistent to be a top 30 for me. If he is there in round two, he would make a great little project, but at 26, I’d likely take someone else.

Hampus Lindholm- Lindholm could be one of those wild cards in this year’s draft that will really depend on if the team that takes him can develop him. For his size (6”’3, 200) Lindholm is a great skater with what scouts have said “great feet” (is Rex Ryan scouting hockey now?). I would say, that is he is developed properly he could become a Keith Yandle type, but at the same time he could also become a 5/6 pairing D. Lindholm is a player that if Vancouver was to take, you just have to trust Gradin.

Brendan Gaunce- Gaunce is a player that I can’t figure out. I’ve seen him live a few times, and to be honest, I don’t see what scouts see in him. He strikes me as a player with great physical tools, but just hasn’t put it together. Then I read reports on him and some are saying he could be the next Ryan Getzlaf. I’m guessing the real Gaunce is somewhere in between. I’m thinking he will be a 50-70 point player who hits and will mix it up. If Vancouver was to select him I’d ok with getting a player like that, although, he is another player I think is gone by 26.

I will have my mock draft out sometime in the next week with my selection.

Who do people want Vancouver to select?
cheers
dbr
CC Legend

Re: This years draft June 22nd in Pitts

Post by dbr »

It always makes me laugh to see people writing about prospects and giving a really lukewarm take on a player followed by describing their potential as something along the lines of "50-70 point player who hits and mixes it up" - there are 20 forwards who put up more than 70 points this year and 75 guys who fit into that range, of course the group of players in that number who are imposing physical players is much much smaller. Gee, I guess that would be an okay outcome. :roll:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

One of:
Nicolas Kerdiles
Tomas Hertl
Brady Skjei
Colton Sissons
Malcolm Subban
Slater Koekkoek
Pontus Abert
Stefan Matteau
Scott Laughton
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

dbr wrote:It always makes me laugh to see people writing about prospects and giving a really lukewarm take on a player followed by describing their potential as something along the lines of "50-70 point player who hits and mixes it up" - there are 20 forwards who put up more than 70 points this year and 75 guys who fit into that range, of course the group of players in that number who are imposing physical players is much much smaller. Gee, I guess that would be an okay outcome. :roll:
It's difficult to write an article which is suffiently brief and to the point that will interest fans IMO. You can't get into and compare every facet of a player, (foot speed, agility, hockey sense, quickness, et al ) it would in quick order become a scouting manual. Pages of dreary reading about attitude, family back ground, character....so some things are left unsaid and a generalization is made. Remember the hue and cry when Vcr passed on Kyle Beach ( 2008 ) and took Hodgson (Kassian ) instead. There was obviously concerns about the kid, despite his numbers. I know later Beach suffered injuries so no need to point that out.
cheers
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

If this Sissons is related to Scott Sissons then stay away from him.

Pick the the most skilled player available when drafting at those positions. It has been the Red Wings model forever cause it is the 20-30 range where they have been drafting since like forever. And look at how well they have done using that model. Stay the fuck away from the boring Malhotra, two-way, limited skilled, decent size, not overly tough but good guy, coachable, stock identifiable, boring reasons to draft a kid type crap. Or 'TOUGHNESS'. It's Skill, Skill, Skill, Skill. You can always find a Giroux, Gomez type high end skill set in the late 20's of the first round. Those are the type players we should be drafting, some work out, ie Gomez and Giroux, some don't.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

RoyalDude wrote:It's Skill, Skill, Skill, Skill. You can always find a Giroux, Gomez type high end skill set in the late 20's of the first round. Those are the type players we should be drafting, some work out, ie Gomez and Giroux, some don't.
Our last two late 1st round picks were Jensen and Schroeder.

I think Gillis has already been following the philosophy of drafting the most talented players available as long as he has "character."
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

RoyalDude wrote:If this Sissons is related to Scott Sissons then stay away from him.

Pick the the most skilled player available when drafting at those positions. It has been the Red Wings model forever cause it is the 20-30 range where they have been drafting since like forever. And look at how well they have done using that model. Stay the fuck away from the boring Malhotra, two-way, limited skilled, decent size, not overly tough but good guy, coachable, stock identifiable, boring reasons to draft a kid type crap. Or 'TOUGHNESS'. It's Skill, Skill, Skill, Skill. You can always find a Giroux, Gomez type high end skill set in the late 20's of the first round. Those are the type players we should be drafting, some work out, ie Gomez and Giroux, some don't.
The fallacy off Detroit drafting, based on some good but to be honest lucky late round picks...goes on.

Here's Detroit all time draft picks. Concentrate in the recent drafts ( what have you done for me lately )

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/draftstats. ... DET&supl=N

They have Brendon Smith, and did I mention Brendon Smith. Personally I think Vcr has drafted better

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/draftstats. ... ion=/draft
Last edited by Fred on Mon May 21, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Fred wrote: The phalacy
A little Freudian slip?

It does explain the impotency of your posts. :P
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

coco_canuck wrote:
A little Freudian slip?

:bang: Already corrected, and I might add before your shot, man you hold a grudge a long time...grow up
cheers
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Fred wrote:
coco_canuck wrote:
A little Freudian slip?

:bang: Already corrected, and I might add before your shot, man you hold a grudge a long time...grow up
:lol:

Not holding a grudge, just kidding buddy.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

OK I guess I'm a bit of a grump today.

maybe I'll be more congenial after the Edmonton - St John game Memorial Cup. The game yesterday was some of the best hockey I've watched for some time London - Shawinigan
cheers
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Memorial Cup is great stuff...
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

If we get a 1st rounder this year as part of a package deal for RL or CS, we could get a very nice pick this year.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Fred wrote:
coco_canuck wrote:
A little Freudian slip?

:bang: Already corrected, and I might add before your shot,
Money shot? ;)
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Griffin Reinhart, go after a local for once!