Farhan's $0.02 - Can the Canucks win the cup next year?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Just wondering what you guys honestly thought? Can the Canucks win the cup next year?........and if not, what would you do to ensure that the Canucks gave themselves the best possible opportunity next year?

I miss the playoff run of last year so much. With the exception of the storybook ending on June 15th, that was easily the greatest 2 month time period in my life.......and quite possibly many of yours? I don't know how many of you actually lived in Vancouver at the time, but the experience was absolutely unreal. A theater full of crazies chanting "we want the cup!" on opening night of Hangover 2 is fucking insane......and totally awesome. 8-)

My question is if we can actually have that experience again next year, or will we have to wait another 16 years with a completely different core in a completely different era.

Also - LOL @ the Nashville series last year. Aside from the Green Men acting like a bunch of faggots, I don't remember anything about that series, haha. I remember almost every single detail of the Chicago/Boston series however, and many details of the San Jose series.

When the Canucks won Game 4 against the Sharks and returned home, I, along with 100-200 fans, greeted the team at the airport. There was just nothing like last year's playoff run at all and I greatly miss it. I don't know when we'll get to the Stanley Cup Finals again, but I do know that I will fly back to Vancouver if we get to 3 wins (no matter where I am in the world). Maybe I'll even be living in Vancouver again when it happens?
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Farhan's $0.02 - Can the Canucks win the cup next year?

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Still with the pennies? Get with the times man.

A nickel for your thoughts?
2011..... the one that got away.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:Still with the pennies? Get with the times man.

hahaha.

Fair enough.

The only nickel worthy thought I have is that I want to experience this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcXxSNrO ... re=related) all over again.........only with us winning.

I'll die a happy man if I see it just once. I cannot and do not want to wait so many more years.

It's been a bad few weeks for me as far as hockey thoughts go. After our win against Boston on January 7th, I stopped thinking about last year's playoffs......but I had a massive relapse. I haven't been able to stop thinking about LAST year's playoffs after the Canucks lost to the Kings. I've watched a you tube clip on Canucks/Boston every single day over these past 3-4 weeks........for reasons I don't know why.

I feel like I'm starting to go mental. :cry:

I have to stop watching these clips. So stupid and retarded. Absolutely no clue why I keep re-living last year's playoff run. The end result will be the same no matter how many times I watch it.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Inflation...or out of production...?

Farhan...was indeed a good time to be a canuck fan...almost the best. But I have said it before next year we are unstoppable...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

rats19 wrote:

Inflation...or out of production...?

Farhan...was indeed a good time to be a canuck fan...almost the best. But I have said it before next year we are unstoppable...
Hope you're right rats......hope you're right. 8-)

It will be interesting to see how Kassian and Gragnani look next year. The asset(s) from the Luongo deal will also help hopefully.

However - the competition will be fierce. LA Kings look like they'll be deadly for the long term, while Boston will be fully rested. Pitsburgh should have both Crosby and Malkin, and will probably address their goaltending if necessary. Edmonton won't be a bottom dweller for too much longer, while a team like the San Jose Sharks......assuming that they keep their core together for one last hurrah.......could be a serious contender again if they brought in a guy like Tim Thomas.

In 1995, the Detroit Redwings lost in the finals of the Stanley Cup only to win it two seasons later. Hopefully, the Canucks do the same thing. I'll fly back to Vancouver, no matter where I am, when we're in that position.

I'll make my long hike down Kingsway to downtown again one day when the Canucks are sitting at 3 wins in the 4th round. 8-)
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I will arrange my schedul to meet u at the shark club before the game...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

rats19 wrote:I will arrange my schedul to meet u at the shark club before the game...
8-)

Sounds good! Would be interesting if all of the Cornerites not living in Vancouver flew in if we got to 3 wins in round 4.

There's just nothing like being in Van City from the 3rd round onwards.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Farhan Lalji wrote: However - the competition will be fierce. LA Kings look like they'll be deadly for the long term, while Boston will be fully rested. Pitsburgh should have both Crosby and Malkin, and will probably address their goaltending if necessary. Edmonton won't be a bottom dweller for too much longer, while a team like the San Jose Sharks......assuming that they keep their core together for one last hurrah.......could be a serious contender again if they brought in a guy like Tim Thomas.

In 1995, the Detroit Redwings lost in the finals of the Stanley Cup only to win it two seasons later. Hopefully, the Canucks do the same thing. I'll fly back to Vancouver, no matter where I am, when we're in that position.
The Canucks and Bruins both lost in round one. In this day and age it's just too hard to play all that hockey and not feel the after-effects.

The Kings are experiencing their coach-change high. Teams haven't figured them out yet, and their success is feeding their confidence. The test WILL come next year when they surprise nobody and folks take them seriously. Then we'll see. The Canucks haven't been taken lightly for a long time, and they still have regular season success. The only thing they need is to re-learn how to take the playoffs seriously...

So: yes. The Canucks can win the cup next year. So could probably 10 other teams.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Island Nucklehead wrote:The test WILL come next year when they surprise nobody and folks take them seriously. Then we'll see. The Canucks haven't been taken lightly for a long time, and they still have regular season success. The only thing they need is to re-learn how to take the playoffs seriously...

So: yes. The Canucks can win the cup next year. So could probably 10 other teams.
Great points.

Hopefully, our faith is rewarded in the end. :thumbs:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

rats19 wrote: I have said it before next year we are unstoppable...
Yup, Ratski and I have expressed full agreement on that in this forum.

However I would now like to qualify that with: IF Veenyo is canned and Roberto is kept. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
harold shnepts
AHL Prospect

Post by harold shnepts »

Farhan Lalji wrote:Also - LOL @ the Nashville series last year. Aside from the Green Men acting like a bunch of faggots

Theres no way the actual farhan says this! he would have said something like "a bunch of sean avery's"
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

He's not the "actual" Farhan...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
harold shnepts
AHL Prospect

Post by harold shnepts »

but im the real harold shnepts ;)
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

It's a bit early to say considering no one knows what the offseason would entail.

My thoughts are that the Canucks can win the Cup next year because the Canucks are still a talented group. But the team has issues and holes that if not addressed from within will likely cause the Canucks to fail.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

harold shnepts wrote:but im the real harold shnepts ;)
we can tell from your hair cut

Now GM, I for one, am glad you are only paying $0.02 for these ideas, if you were to be paying a nickel for having these thoughts put in your head we'd assume you are a choir boy.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.