Anyone ever pulled a "hammie"???

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Anyone ever pulled a "hammie"???

Postby Wildfaery » Fri May 18, 2012 6:27 pm

I did last Thursday...yeoooowwww. Also bruised my upper femur...don't know which is worse...my left leg is either just plain in pain or is spasming. If you have ever experienced any of this....please please tell me what you did to get comfortable. No it wasn't an athletic maneuver...just clumsiness and i have been paying for it ever since. Anyway just wanting advice what works to get one comfortable, thanxi'monhydrocodoneandmusclerelaxerssohopeimakesense.
Namaste,WF
Namaste WF
Wildfaery
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:30 pm

Re: Anyone ever pulled a "hammie"???

Postby Aaronp18 » Fri May 18, 2012 7:23 pm

RICE

Rest, ice, compression, elevation.

Oh and NSAID's.

Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug's, AKA - Advil.

:thumbs:
User avatar
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1765
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Anyone ever pulled a "hammie"???

Postby ODB » Fri May 18, 2012 7:50 pm

Hey Wildfaery, this might seem unorthodox (I know you're not one to run from unorthodox) but slowly, gently and rhythmically messaging your man's ....unit will do wonders. You'll feel better before you know it! :mrgreen:
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
User avatar
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:13 pm

Re: Anyone ever pulled a "hammie"???

Postby Wildfaery » Fri May 18, 2012 7:57 pm

What if you can't take NSAIDS??? I took 5 days of Prednesone(blew up like a poisoned pig & was wired like i knew i would be cuz i've had to take it b/c of asthma) & was up & down with the pain-killers & then the steroid. now just on hydrocodone & muscle relaxers & ice......I do NOT like these drugs....where's Loops when i need her??? I'm even afraid of getting a massage...the phisoterrorists start next week. i'mnotcomfortablenomatterwhatido, Namaste WF
i can stand muscle pain...i've had degenerative disc disease in my lumbar spine for alotta years...no meds just keep walking and a TENS unit since 2003. butthisshithasgottostopandletmerest. Namaste, WF
Namaste WF
Wildfaery
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:30 pm

Re: Anyone ever pulled a "hammie"???

Postby Wildfaery » Fri May 18, 2012 8:10 pm

ODB wrote:Hey Wildfaery, this might seem unorthodox (I know you're not one to run from unorthodox) but slowly, gently and rhythmically messaging your man's ....unit will do wonders. You'll feel better before you know it! :mrgreen:


UmmmNO he will slowly,with gentle,rhythmically,massaging movements do wonders to me. so will take your advice with caution. it just might work. thanxican'tfindanypositioncomfortableinmyownskin. Namaste,WF
Namaste WF
Wildfaery
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:30 pm

Re: Anyone ever pulled a "hammie"???

Postby Aaronp18 » Fri May 18, 2012 8:13 pm

Prednisone is a steroid though, which is probably why you had the problems.

Stick to Advil or anything else that is ibuprofen.

But do try wrapping your muscle with a tensor. Start above the knee and work your way up, lightly so you don't cut off circulation of course.

An keep icing it, especially if you can literally feel the heat comin off the injury. 15 minute on, 15 minutes off.
User avatar
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1765
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Anyone ever pulled a "hammie"???

Postby rats19 » Fri May 18, 2012 8:19 pm

Ap has it that's what u do wildfaery..
You are who you hang with.....
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4691
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over there.....

Re: Anyone ever pulled a "hammie"???

Postby Wildfaery » Fri May 18, 2012 8:43 pm

Aaronp18 wrote:Prednisone is a steroid though, which is probably why you had the problems.

Stick to Advil or anything else that is ibuprofen.

But do try wrapping your muscle with a tensor. Start above the knee and work your way up, lightly so you don't cut off circulation of course.

An keep icing it, especially if you can literally feel the heat comin off the injury. 15 minute on, 15 minutes off.



No really i can't do NSAIDS( b/c of asthma,allergies had to be on steroids) i have felt that a wrap would feel great. and ice is way nice...........thankyou for you insight.WF
Namaste WF
Wildfaery
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:30 pm

Re: Anyone ever pulled a "hammie"???

Postby Wildfaery » Fri May 18, 2012 9:20 pm

rats19 wrote:Ap has it that's what u do wildfaery..


Rats the medicine up there is soooo more progressive and pro-active but I've had to take steroids before, so NSAIDS are out but other than that..it's doable.thankyouforyourwordsofwisdom. Namaste,WF
Namaste WF
Wildfaery
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:30 pm

Re: Anyone ever pulled a "hammie"???

Postby rats19 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:24 pm

Black and purple...
Yellow and green
These are colors my legs
Never seen..... :wink:
You are who you hang with.....
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4691
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over there.....

Re: Anyone ever pulled a "hammie"???

Postby benivolent » Fri May 18, 2012 10:53 pm

hey what exactly did you do to bruise your femur? I only ask to make sure that you don't have a small fracture of your femur etc... I'm assuming you have had it xrayed then??

RICE is the right thing.
Steroids will make you swell up (but usually you have to be on that for a little longer than 5 days), and if you have the bad asthma reaction to nsaids this might be your only anti-inflammatory alternative)

Do the wrap with tensor, a very good idea... and stay off the leg. if you have tingling or your foot feels cold, the tensor is too tight.
physio is good too, because they can use the ultrasound to help with it. sooner the better.

omega 3's and ginger can be useful and "natural" anti-inflammatories. I don't know what the dosing for those would be though.

I've done it. like a 2nd degree pull where the back of the leg is bruised from knee to mid thigh. Very unpleasant.
User avatar
benivolent
CC Rookie
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:07 am

Re: Anyone ever pulled a "hammie"???

Postby Per » Sat May 19, 2012 1:45 pm

ODB wrote:Hey Wildfaery, this might seem unorthodox (I know you're not one to run from unorthodox) but slowly, gently and rhythmically messaging your man's ....unit will do wonders. You'll feel better before you know it! :mrgreen:

You mean, like, texting...?! :o
User avatar
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: Anyone ever pulled a "hammie"???

Postby Strangelove » Sat May 19, 2012 8:57 pm

Wildfaery wrote:I did last Thursday...yeoooowwww. Also bruised my upper femur...don't know which is worse...my left leg is either just plain in pain or is spasming. If you have ever experienced any of this....please please tell me what you did to get comfortable.


Sounds like you're about 9 days into this. Assuming you have followed RICE and the swelling has subsided, what you now need is stretching, massaging, and heating (combined with your muscle relaxants and I recommend plenty of red wine :D ).

There are various hamstring stretches, you should choose the one you are most comfortable with and do that AT LEAST 3 times per day. Personally I believe in the find-the-right-stationary-stretch-position-and-HOLD-it-for-90-seconds.

Massage. Get someone to find the muscle knot (easily done) and very gently rub it for a few minutes a coupla times per day. NOTE: if even the gentlest rubbing causes great pain: Skip the massaging!

Heating pad/hot baths (this increases blood flow, which helps in regards to both the bruising and the muscle contraction).

Obviously your phisoterrorists will soon involve electrotherapy/ultrasound/agility-exercises etc. By the sounds of it, this is going to take a few weeks at least before you're back to normal. The main ingredient is patience here, the last thing you wannna do is OVERdo/reinjure amirite?

It's slightly possible your asthma inhalers have set you up for muscle spasm probs. Obviously you should continue to use them, but if some kind of predisposition was there, electrolytes might help in that regard (or maybe you already get enough of that). Depending on your diet, you *might* wanna also add a Vitamin B complex (on an empty stomach w glass of water first thing in the morning) and a calcium-magnesium drink (not pills but liquid-keep-refrigerated form) just before bed. And water, you wanna make sure you're drinking enough water (earlier in the day) if you have ongoing muscle spasms.

One more thing. When it's time to get off the drugs, WEAN yourself off - especially the muscle relaxants (take half a pill for a few days, then quarter of a pill for a few days, etc).

Hopefully some of that was useful, if not, hey I tried. :thumbs:

PEACE
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7370
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Anyone ever pulled a "hammie"???

Postby Wildfaery » Sun May 20, 2012 12:53 pm

benivolent wrote:hey what exactly did you do to bruise your femur? I only ask to make sure that you don't have a small fracture of your femur etc... I'm assuming you have had it xrayed then??

RICE is the right thing.
Steroids will make you swell up (but usually you have to be on that for a little longer than 5 days), and if you have the bad asthma reaction to nsaids this might be your only anti-inflammatory alternative)

Do the wrap with tensor, a very good idea... and stay off the leg. if you have tingling or your foot feels cold, the tensor is too tight.
physio is good too, because they can use the ultrasound to help with it. sooner the better.

omega 3's and ginger can be useful and "natural" anti-inflammatories. I don't know what the dosing for those would be though.

I've done it. like a 2nd degree pull where the back of the leg is bruised from knee to mid thigh. Very unpleasant.


thank-you for your words of experience...loops is that you??? always the healer.
gonnafollowyouradvice, Namaste WF
Namaste WF
Wildfaery
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:30 pm

Re: Anyone ever pulled a "hammie"???

Postby Wildfaery » Sun May 20, 2012 1:07 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Wildfaery wrote:I did last Thursday...yeoooowwww. Also bruised my upper femur...don't know which is worse...my left leg is either just plain in pain or is spasming. If you have ever experienced any of this....please please tell me what you did to get comfortable.


Sounds like you're about 9 days into this. Assuming you have followed RICE and the swelling has subsided, what you now need is stretching, massaging, and heating (combined with your muscle relaxants and I recommend plenty of red wine :D ).

There are various hamstring stretches, you should choose the one you are most comfortable with and do that AT LEAST 3 times per day. Personally I believe in the find-the-right-stationary-stretch-position-and-HOLD-it-for-90-seconds.

Massage. Get someone to find the muscle knot (easily done) and very gently rub it for a few minutes a coupla times per day. NOTE: if even the gentlest rubbing causes great pain: Skip the massaging!

Heating pad/hot baths (this increases blood flow, which helps in regards to both the bruising and the muscle contraction).

Obviously your phisoterrorists will soon involve electrotherapy/ultrasound/agility-exercises etc. By the sounds of it, this is going to take a few weeks at least before you're back to normal. The main ingredient is patience here, the last thing you wannna do is OVERdo/reinjure amirite?

It's slightly possible your asthma inhalers have set you up for muscle spasm probs. Obviously you should continue to use them, but if some kind of predisposition was there, electrolytes might help in that regard (or maybe you already get enough of that). Depending on your diet, you *might* wanna also add a Vitamin B complex (on an empty stomach w glass of water first thing in the morning) and a calcium-magnesium drink (not pills but liquid-keep-refrigerated form) just before bed. And water, you wanna make sure you're drinking enough water (earlier in the day) if you have ongoing muscle spasms.

One more thing. When it's time to get off the drugs, WEAN yourself off - especially the muscle relaxants (take half a pill for a few days, then quarter of a pill for a few days, etc).

Hopefully some of that was useful, if not, hey I tried. :thumbs:

PEACE

Wow my thanks as to how and when to take the suppliments(sp) I always knew when to take calcium-magnesium-zinc but didn't figure liquid into the equation(sp?) yep lot's of H2O....but since i'm also taking stuff for my asthma/allergies can't wash it out...electrolyte balance...cuz i absolutely HATE ABG's they hurt....thebodyisafinetunedmachinejustdowhatisnecessarytokeepitrunningsmoothly,NamasteWF
Namaste WF
Wildfaery
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:30 pm

Next

Return to Creeper's Bar & Grill

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 1 guest

cron