european stars

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: european stars

Post by Per »

pepperfall wrote:I'm new here, what does RIP Creeper mean???
I thought you said you knew English?

It means "Rest in peace, Creeper".
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Speaking of European stars, Ovechkin, Semin and Bäckström are all heading over to play in the World Championship.

On paper it would make the Russian team ridiculously strong, but in real life I wonder if the egos of Ovechkin and Malkin may clash and create locker room rot? Not sure. In the recent game between Sweden and Russia the Russians played better as a team than I have seen since the Soviet days. Some pundits claimed it had to do with Malkin being so larger than life that all the others bowed to him as their leader and accepted to play in a team first fashion.

Does Ovechkin even know what that means? :eh:
If he does, they're winning the gold.
If he instead lives up to his reputation, he will score a bunch of fancy goals while the team disintegrates...

Meanwhile, I think Bäckström will be a great addition to an already strong Swedish team. We've had some tough luck with injuries though. Stupidly enough, you can only use 22 skaters, regardless of injuries. There are no call-ups. We've already had Fredrik Pettersson (Frölunda) fracture his wrist, Joel Lundquist (Frölunda, Henrik's brother) fracture his ocular bone, Johan Franzén (Detroit) fracture his nose and Jonathan Ericsson (Detroit) has some back issues. The last two games we've played with just 6 d-men and 11 forwards. They've solved it by having four pairs of wingers and three centres and then pair the centres with the d-men, so they've rolled three sets of 2D+C and four sets of LW+RW... New offensive combos on every shift... :lol:

Anyway, with the Addition of Hörnqvist and Bäckström we now have 13 forwards, so we can finally roll four lines. We only have six D-men though, so we can't afford any injury, unless Ericsson gets better and can play. I mean, Lundqvist and Pettersson are gone for the tournament. We're talking months of rehab, but Franzén can play if he uses a full face mask, and Ericsson is basically day-to-day. There's still a chance that he could get back to game shape before the tournament is over.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
pepperfall

Post by pepperfall »

aren't we supposed to be civil? or are we just supposed to throw insults because we disagree with someone?
Per wrote:

pepperfall

Post by pepperfall »

P.S. You need a life per, you're on here way too much...............
pepperfall wrote:aren't we supposed to be civil? or are we just supposed to throw insults because we disagree with someone?
Per wrote:

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Wheels is the one who needs to get a life.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

pepperfall wrote:aren't we supposed to be civil? or are we just supposed to throw insults because we disagree with someone?

Let me guess you have frosted tips and a goatee.....
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Ok Pepperfall, you seem to want to stick around.

Here's a few suggestions.

First, when you start your first thread with "here's my theory.....get rid of the europeans...they're only in it for the money." and don't offer any proof to go with your 'theory', people aren't going to take you seriously. You started out one small notch above a troll. Consider your first post as mistake and continue on.

Second, you aren't participating in the other threads. Why should we take you seriously? Spread your hockey knowledge to the rest of the site.

Third, no - we're not supposed to be civil to someone who is a borderline troll.

Fourth, next time ask your Mom for permission to use the computer.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Great stuff cornuck..really great. When I try out a new board I like to read..oh say the board index and look for things that will assist me with my visit. Sometimes and more often than not....I learn things
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

His mom has her mouth full and won't be able to reply.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

bottom line...Canucks dont need any more Europeans...
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

the Dogsalmon wrote:bottom line...Canucks dont need any more Europeans...
I'd take Kovalchuk or Karlsson in a NY minute.

Although I do also take your point DS.
DeLevering since 1999.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

donlever wrote: I'd take Kovalchuk or Karlsson in a NY minute.
Yup, watched Kovie play once live in Atlanta when we were down there for a conference and he was heads and tails above everyone on the ice. It was after Hossa left and he had an aging Kozlov to play with and that was about it.

Great all around player and watching him finally get some games in the playoffs further sheds him of any incorrect effort or desire to win assumptions.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Aaronp18 wrote:
donlever wrote: I'd take Kovalchuk or Karlsson in a NY minute.
Yup, watched Kovie play once live in Atlanta when we were down there for a conference and he was heads and tails above everyone on the ice. It was after Hossa left and he had an aging Kozlov to play with and that was about it.

Great all around player and watching him finally get some games in the playoffs further sheds him of any incorrect effort or desire to win assumptions.
This is precisely why blanket statements about 'Europeans' are nonsense. It's quite obviously a player-by-player analysis just like it is for any Canadian or American player. Overpaid floater is not a description that can only be applied to those born east of the prime meridian.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Puck wrote:This is precisely why blanket statements about 'Europeans' are nonsense.
I agree. I don't know why all Canadians seems to always take this view with Europeans.
2011..... the one that got away.
pepperfall

Post by pepperfall »

nice photo.....
Topper wrote:His mom has her mouth full and won't be able to reply.