Booth kills baited bear

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Post by Topper »

CrzyCanuck wrote:On a side note, Topper, perhaps you can answer this for me. I've heard and read that actually the meat can have different taste/quality depending on the way animal was killed. If the animal was killed whilst in extreme terror, the meat taste actually might not be so good because of the hormones released as a result of extreme panic. Is this true?
It is true.

Active muscles consume their own supply of carb (glycogen) and the by product is lactic acid. In a live animal, the blood carries away the lactic acid or it is further oxidized. Since muscles remain active for a short period after death in an effort to maintain body temp, lactic acid is produced and a small build up occurs in the muscle tissue. This small build up of lactic acid is good.

If the animal is under stress when killed, chances are the small store of glycogen is used up and little or no lactic acid accumulates because the blood has already swept it away. Butchers call it "dark cutting" meat and first recognized that poor quality of the meat back in the 18th century. Dark cutting meat tends to be gummy and because lactic acid prevents bacterial growth, dark cutting meat spoils faster.

The turnip pounding vegan crowd likes to site this bacterial issue as further evidence that we should not eat meat and like to play on the flesh from the poor frightened animal side of the issue.

Nutritionally, both meats are the same quality. The stress can come from a variety of sources; fear, transport immediately prior to slaughter, and fasting are probably the most common.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

If there was some actual sports going on right now the local media would not be playing this 24/7 and people would forget. They are talking about how fans will not let him forget about it, of course not because the local media will not allow people to forget.

Som days I prefer silence compared to what is on 1040, there is only so many things to talk about which is why I find 24/7 of any type of station is boring and how small things become big things.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Who cares about the politics of killing bears, I don't. All I like about this whole thing is that David Booth looks like a dumb ass clown outside of his dumb ass clown hockey playing as well.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

RoyalDude wrote: All I like about this whole thing is that David Booth looks like a dumb ass clown outside of his dumb ass clown hockey playing as well.

lol

Why the hate duuuuddee..

Chillax mang.

(btw...my bad on the new house, it was so small I thought it was a reno :P )
DeLevering since 1999.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

donlever wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
All I like about this whole thing is that David Booth looks like a dumb ass clown outside of his dumb ass clown hockey playing as well.

lol

Why the hate duuuuddee..
Indeed. One wonders why a Canuck fan would want a Canuck to "look like a dumb ass clown"! :crazy:

As an aside, I just heard David Booth converted Mason Raymond to Christanity last night.

Apparently this bear incident led to a long telephone conversation between the two of them....
____
Try to focus on someday.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Strangelove wrote: Indeed. One wonders why a Canuck fan would want a Canuck to "look like a dumb ass clown"! :crazy:

As an aside, I just heard David Booth converted Mason Raymond to Christanity last night.

Apparently this bear incident led to a long telephone conversation between the two of them....
Is Raymond praying for a qualifying offer?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

clem wrote: Is Raymond praying for a qualifying offer?
Well right now he's talking of being a missionary in Kathmandu but who knows....
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Really gotta get out of here...goin to..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote: As an aside, I just heard David Booth converted Mason Raymond to Christanity last night.

Interesting because the other day I thought about posting on Bountiful that the accuracy of Booth shot is the equivalent on scoring on Kiprusoff from centre ice.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The devil you say...
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Really gotta get out of here...goin to..
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

rats19 wrote:Really gotta get out of here...goin to..
Don't even THINK ABOUT IT Ratski!
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Strangelove wrote:
rats19 wrote:Really gotta get out of here...goin to..
Don't even THINK ABOUT IT Ratski!
You got a kick against my best post?...lol
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Glad to see that the discussion here has been mature with a lot of good points.
Agree or disagree in my mind it still boils down to a few salient points:
1. Hunting is a lawful activity in Canada.
2. Typically hunting predatory animals is part of a controlled cull to keep the population healthy and managed.
3. Booth engaged a professional guide service to help ensure he did everything right and by the book.
4. Hunting with a bow takes a pile of skill.

I respect people who say they dislike hunting on principle. That's fine, its a lifestyle choice. But my lean, dry bbq'd garlic deer sausage disagree's with you.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

wafflecombine wrote: But my Lean, DRY bbq'd garlic deer sausage disagree's with you.
Lean and dry are synonymous when it comes to sausage. Sausage needs 25% fat minimum and preferably 35%.