Booth kills baited bear

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Post by Strangelove »

Mondi wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Mondi wrote: as I stated above, if Booth had the licence and he ate the bear he's done nothing wrong in my books. Still doesn't make him very bright (or very sporting for that matter).
.... and I have the explicit constitutional right to hold the opinion your books are cooked.

You say folks who kill bears aren't "very bright".

I say folks who say..... folks who kill bears aren't very bright.... aren't very bright. :drink:
That is your right. But if your reading comprehension skills matched your propensity to insult people via the internet (and read the bible), you'd realize that I think a straight line, shoot first, non-passing hockey player, who plays for the Vancouver Canucks, who films his bear baiting expedition and then brags about it on Twitter is none too bright.

My "reading comprehension skills" are topnotch. Legendary in fact! You may indeed have labeled Booth as not-very-bright for other reasons at other times. But CLEARLY above you called Booth "not very bright (nor very sporting)" based solely upon this bear-killing incident. And just as clearly, you are now backpedaling.

I think you confuse feelings of being "insulted" with feelings of embarrassment from losing debates.

BTW no amount of reading comprehension skills would help one understand why you just brought up "reading the bible".

But the fact you did so in the midst of attacking Booth

... who just happens to be the most outspoken Christian on your Vancouver Canucks

... well one's imagination tends to run amok.

You should be more careful Mondi ole pal.

You should work on your writing skills. :thumbs:

Last edited by Strangelove on Thu May 17, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Topper wrote:
okcanuck wrote: How quickly was it killed? What I recall from the video,which has been removed,was the arrow going in, the bear stumbling and running away, the guide spotting the blood and then the bear.
Not that much different than when a bear is shot with a rifle.
okcanuck wrote: Listen, I have no problem with hunting bear? I have a real problem however with the method of baiting and then hiding in a tree,which, by the way, is illegal in B.C. and 18 states. Booth had to do this hunt in Alberta where it is legal.
The advantages of bait and blind are that it offers a clean kill. A bow hunter has only a tiny spot on the to execute a clean kill and hunting from a blind with bait is the best practice. Booth should be proud of his shooting to beable to bring down a bear, and especially one that size, with a bow. Is it any different that duck hunters with blinds, decoys and duck calls or rifle game hunters with blinds,and pheromone scented decoys of an Elks pussy.

Much of the legality stems from the mix in populations of black and grizzly bears as well as the black bear population. Alberta only allows this hunting in certain areas. It is not widespread.

The more important issue is that of large game bow hunting in general. The chance of an errant shot, when the kill spot is
so small, is quite high. Bait and blind hunting greatly increases the chance of a clean kill but it does not eliminate the fact that there are wounded animals in the bush due to a missed bow shot.

Why is baiting bear illegal in B.C.?
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:This thread reminds me of one my favourite posts in the old CC joke thread...

So, a couple of seals walk into a club.....
C'mon. Don't leave us hanging. what's the punch line?
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Tciso wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:This thread reminds me of one my favourite posts in the old CC joke thread...

So, a couple of seals walk into a club.....
C'mon. Don't leave us hanging. what's the punch line?
they didnt duck...
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

The amount of discussion this totally legal recreational activity is getting from KFC finger licking journalists, pundits and bloggers is hilarious.

How is bear baiting any different than me using a crab or prawn trap to outsmart some invertebrates?

Hunters set up plastic deer to attract bucks.

There's a new show on the Discovery Channel called Duck Dynasty devoted to some hillbillies in Louisiana who made a fortune off of duck calls that allow hunters to more easily blow away fowl.

Whatever.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

okcanuck wrote:Why is baiting bear illegal in B.C.?
Much of it has to do with the black bear grizzly population mix and that is one of the key determinants in deciding what area of Alberta bait and blind bow hunting for black bear is allowed.

The practice is not allowed province wide in Alberta, only in specific areas.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Topper wrote:
okcanuck wrote:Why is baiting bear illegal in B.C.?
Much of it has to do with the black bear grizzly population mix and that is one of the key determinants in deciding what area of Alberta bait and blind bow hunting for black bear is allowed.

The practice is not allowed province wide in Alberta, only in specific areas.
Thanks for the info Topper. Learn something new every day. Like I said before I have nothing against bear hunting at all.It seems to me that the bear population has increased dramatically over the last 20 years or so.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

15 of thw peckerheads on thw edgw of the highway between Dawson and quesnel last night...coulda killed ratfam and 2 expensive horses and 2 dogs and a cat...all I had was my .243 and no shells...could have thrown a 75 mph fastball I spose.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

rats19 wrote:15 of thw peckerheads on thw edgw of the highway between Dawson and quesnel last night...coulda killed ratfam and 2 expensive horses and 2 dogs and a cat...all I had was my .243 and no shells...could have thrown a 75 mph fastball I spose.
75mph is not a heater ratski ,,,, it's a changepiece. You wouldn't break skin throwing that pus from 60 ft 6 " .....

:lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I believe this debate can be summed up as:

City boys squealing like hogs vs. deadeye dicks.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote:I believe this debate can be summed up as:

City boys squealing like hogs vs. deadeye dicks.
pretty much reminds me when I left SFU for my first job in FT St John, whats that hackneyed expression two solitudes? Anyway THIS was the thread/verbal diarrhea/discussion I was expecting when redneck booth was traded to greenhead Vancouver in the first place, not the ridiculousness and complete irrelevancy of worrying about Booth's religious affiliations.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
rats19 wrote:15 of thw peckerheads on thw edgw of the highway between Dawson and quesnel last night...coulda killed ratfam and 2 expensive horses and 2 dogs and a cat...all I had was my .243 and no shells...could have thrown a 75 mph fastball I spose.
75mph is not a heater ratski ,,,, it's a changepiece. You wouldn't break skin throwing that pus from 60 ft 6 " .....

:lol:
This I understand blob....however its all relative really. Against my own age..It comes in pretty hot. With 18-35 yr old its slow, so I throw slow curves,sliders say at 60mph. Then that puss 75er actually seems fast. Fuck up the timing, that's all it s about...speed Is secondary. If all a guy threw was 100 mph heat second time through the lineup.....he would get lit up. However, to your other point. I would rather get hit with mine..lol
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

herb wrote: How is bear baiting any different than me using a crab or prawn trap to outsmart some invertebrates?

Hunters set up plastic deer to attract bucks.
Whatever.
This is what I came to post as well.

Another thing to consider a bear is a large predator, much like a shark. How do you catch a shark? With a bow?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I'd give Booth props if he killed the bear with a knife, alas he just baited him then shot em, weak sauce.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Like many said, who cares if he hunted for food consumption.

Of all the sports, I hate those hypocritical so-called fishing lovers who fish for "sports". FFS, don't they know they are torturing fish out there with their actions?

Oh and don't get me started on vegetarians, Vegetables have life too. They grow, they produce offspring, they have life.

We human are born with this original sin - killing other species to survive. That is nature. You just gotta respect this nature by sustaining the resources.

On a side note, Topper, perhaps you can answer this for me. I've heard and read that actually the meat can have different taste/quality depending on the way animal was killed. If the animal was killed whilst in extreme terror, the meat taste actually might not be so good because of the hormones released as a result of extreme panic. Is this true?
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters