Booth kills baited bear

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Booth kills baited bear

Postby Eddy Punch Clock » Thu May 17, 2012 11:05 am

This thread reminds me of one my favourite posts in the old CC joke thread...

So, a couple of seals walk into a club.....
2011..... the one that got away.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby okcanuck » Thu May 17, 2012 11:37 am

Cornuck wrote:Hard to argue with your logic Pot - odd that we needed 4 pages (isn't a long offseason great!?).

Do you condone Booth's hunting methods? I think baiting is cowardly. No problem here with real hunting.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Cornuck » Thu May 17, 2012 12:15 pm

okcanuck wrote: Do you condone Booth's hunting methods? I think baiting is cowardly. No problem here with real hunting.

Yes, it's cheating, but it's not the biggest concern in my life. I'd like to see a clean kill, but you're not going to get that with an arrow into a bear whether you bait or not? Should I 'condone' it over the methods used to kill the cows that end up on my plate? How about planting a nice field of alfalfa to attract deer, and then shooting them? Should I condone that?

The bottom line is that I hate to see animals suffer. But I also really like rib eye steak and slabs of ribs. Until they learn to grow that stuff in a lab, I'll continue to be a hypocrite, ok?

I'm guessing that this argument started when the cavemen chased a mammoth into a pit and slowly killed it.
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Topper » Thu May 17, 2012 12:26 pm

okcanuck wrote: How quickly was it killed? What I recall from the video,which has been removed,was the arrow going in, the bear stumbling and running away, the guide spotting the blood and then the bear.

Not that much different than when a bear is shot with a rifle.

okcanuck wrote: Listen, I have no problem with hunting bear? I have a real problem however with the method of baiting and then hiding in a tree,which, by the way, is illegal in B.C. and 18 states. Booth had to do this hunt in Alberta where it is legal.

The advantages of bait and blind are that it offers a clean kill. A bow hunter has only a tiny spot on the to execute a clean kill and hunting from a blind with bait is the best practice. Booth should be proud of his shooting to beable to bring down a bear, and especially one that size, with a bow. Is it any different that duck hunters with blinds, decoys and duck calls or rifle game hunters with blinds,and pheromone scented decoys of an Elks pussy.

Much of the legality stems from the mix in populations of black and grizzly bears as well as the black bear population. Alberta only allows this hunting in certain areas. It is not widespread.

The more important issue is that of large game bow hunting in general. The chance of an errant shot, when the kill spot is so small, is quite high. Bait and blind hunting greatly increases the chance of a clean kill but it does not eliminate the fact that there are wounded animals in the bush due to a missed bow shot.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Thu May 17, 2012 1:12 pm

Mondi wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Mondi wrote:as I stated above, if Booth had the licence and he ate the bear he's done nothing wrong in my books. Still doesn't make him very bright (or very sporting for that matter).

.... and I have the explicit constitutional right to hold the opinion your books are cooked.

You say folks who kill bears aren't "very bright".

I say folks who say..... folks who kill bears aren't very bright.... aren't very bright. :drink:

That is your right. But if your reading comprehension skills matched your propensity to insult people via the internet (and read the bible), you'd realize that I think a straight line, shoot first, non-passing hockey player, who plays for the Vancouver Canucks, who films his bear baiting expedition and then brags about it on Twitter is none too bright.

My "reading comprehension skills" are topnotch. Legendary in fact! You may indeed have labeled Booth as not-very-bright for other reasons at other times. But CLEARLY above you called Booth "not very bright (nor very sporting)" based solely upon this bear-killing incident. And just as clearly, you are now backpedaling.

I think you confuse feelings of being "insulted" with feelings of embarrassment from losing debates.

BTW no amount of reading comprehension skills would help one understand why you just brought up "reading the bible".

But the fact you did so in the midst of attacking Booth

... who just happens to be the most outspoken Christian on your Vancouver Canucks

... well one's imagination tends to run amok.

You should be more careful Mondi ole pal.

You should work on your writing skills. :thumbs:

Last edited by Strangelove on Thu May 17, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
____
Big Dog
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby okcanuck » Thu May 17, 2012 2:23 pm

Topper wrote:
okcanuck wrote: How quickly was it killed? What I recall from the video,which has been removed,was the arrow going in, the bear stumbling and running away, the guide spotting the blood and then the bear.

Not that much different than when a bear is shot with a rifle.

okcanuck wrote: Listen, I have no problem with hunting bear? I have a real problem however with the method of baiting and then hiding in a tree,which, by the way, is illegal in B.C. and 18 states. Booth had to do this hunt in Alberta where it is legal.

The advantages of bait and blind are that it offers a clean kill. A bow hunter has only a tiny spot on the to execute a clean kill and hunting from a blind with bait is the best practice. Booth should be proud of his shooting to beable to bring down a bear, and especially one that size, with a bow. Is it any different that duck hunters with blinds, decoys and duck calls or rifle game hunters with blinds,and pheromone scented decoys of an Elks pussy.

Much of the legality stems from the mix in populations of black and grizzly bears as well as the black bear population. Alberta only allows this hunting in certain areas. It is not widespread.

The more important issue is that of large game bow hunting in general. The chance of an errant shot, when the kill spot is
so small, is quite high. Bait and blind hunting greatly increases the chance of a clean kill but it does not eliminate the fact that there are wounded animals in the bush due to a missed bow shot.

Why is baiting bear illegal in B.C.?
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Tciso » Thu May 17, 2012 2:34 pm

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:This thread reminds me of one my favourite posts in the old CC joke thread...

C'mon. Don't leave us hanging. what's the punch line?
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ukcanuck » Thu May 17, 2012 2:44 pm

Tciso wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:This thread reminds me of one my favourite posts in the old CC joke thread...

C'mon. Don't leave us hanging. what's the punch line?

they didnt duck...
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby herb » Thu May 17, 2012 3:12 pm

The amount of discussion this totally legal recreational activity is getting from KFC finger licking journalists, pundits and bloggers is hilarious.

How is bear baiting any different than me using a crab or prawn trap to outsmart some invertebrates?

Hunters set up plastic deer to attract bucks.

There's a new show on the Discovery Channel called Duck Dynasty devoted to some hillbillies in Louisiana who made a fortune off of duck calls that allow hunters to more easily blow away fowl.

Whatever.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Topper » Thu May 17, 2012 3:21 pm

okcanuck wrote:Why is baiting bear illegal in B.C.?

Much of it has to do with the black bear grizzly population mix and that is one of the key determinants in deciding what area of Alberta bait and blind bow hunting for black bear is allowed.

The practice is not allowed province wide in Alberta, only in specific areas.

Topper
CC Legend

Postby okcanuck » Thu May 17, 2012 3:31 pm

Topper wrote:
okcanuck wrote:Why is baiting bear illegal in B.C.?

Much of it has to do with the black bear grizzly population mix and that is one of the key determinants in deciding what area of Alberta bait and blind bow hunting for black bear is allowed.

The practice is not allowed province wide in Alberta, only in specific areas.

Thanks for the info Topper. Learn something new every day. Like I said before I have nothing against bear hunting at all.It seems to me that the bear population has increased dramatically over the last 20 years or so.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby rats19 » Thu May 17, 2012 3:42 pm

15 of thw peckerheads on thw edgw of the highway between Dawson and quesnel last night...coulda killed ratfam and 2 expensive horses and 2 dogs and a cat...all I had was my .243 and no shells...could have thrown a 75 mph fastball I spose.
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Thu May 17, 2012 4:48 pm

rats19 wrote:15 of thw peckerheads on thw edgw of the highway between Dawson and quesnel last night...coulda killed ratfam and 2 expensive horses and 2 dogs and a cat...all I had was my .243 and no shells...could have thrown a 75 mph fastball I spose.

75mph is not a heater ratski ,,,, it's a changepiece. You wouldn't break skin throwing that pus from 60 ft 6 " .....

:lol:
Tell me how my ass tastes.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Postby Topper » Thu May 17, 2012 5:00 pm

I believe this debate can be summed up as:

City boys squealing like hogs vs. deadeye dicks.

Topper
CC Legend

Postby ukcanuck » Thu May 17, 2012 8:23 pm

Topper wrote:I believe this debate can be summed up as:

City boys squealing like hogs vs. deadeye dicks.

pretty much reminds me when I left SFU for my first job in FT St John, whats that hackneyed expression two solitudes? Anyway THIS was the thread/verbal diarrhea/discussion I was expecting when redneck booth was traded to greenhead Vancouver in the first place, not the ridiculousness and complete irrelevancy of worrying about Booth's religious affiliations.
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat