Mike Gillis agrees to contract extension with Canucks

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

porp
CC Veteran

Re: Mike Gillis agrees to contract extension with Canucks

Post by porp »

AV has shown that he can be a great coach for a young and/or rebuilding team. I think that's where he shines as a coach. He was a successful fringe player who had to think the game to overcome his physical limitations, and those lessons help him coach less mature players and help them develop.

As the head of a mature, reportedly well-knit and internally leader-ed, team I'm not sure what he can contribute to bring the team over the top.

Taking a successful team through the darkest hours seems like it takes a different mindset.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Larry Goodenough wrote:I thought leaving GMs and coaches to flounder in a last year of an expiring contract only happened in Toronto and Edmonton.
Lancer wrote: Thank God it didn't happen here. Reading Strachan's book about why the leaves suck makes me appreciate the Canucks organization, even when McCaw owned the joint.
Were you guys not Canucks fans during the Brian Burke "lame-duck GM" era? :o
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan »

Waffle wrote:I wonder how the managing partner evaluates the GM:

1. Let's see, the club is making a 100 million dollar a year profit. Where did I put that contract extension?

or

2. Let's see.....wait...I don't see it....the frickin Stanley Cup!! I'm going to extend your contract this time, and give you anything you need, but if you don't win the cup, you're going to need to be wearing one at our next evaluation meeting.

“The Canucks have been fantastically successful, as a team and business. Purchased in 2006 along with Rogers Arena from Seattle’s John McCaw for a couple of instalments totalling $250-million, the value of Canucks Sports and Entertainment has probably doubled under the Aquilinis.
The strength of their ownership since they hired Gillis in 2008 to replace Dave Nonis, the general manager they had inherited from McCaw, is their absolute trust in their hand-picked man to make hockey decisions and the Aquilinis’ willingness to fund them.
The result is a team that has averaged 50 wins and 108 points the last four seasons while producing top-five NHL revenue and, likely, profits in excess of $100 million.”

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canu ... z1uFTZOwdx
I think the figure of $100 million refers to the total (estimated) profit over 4 years, rather than $100 mil per year! Regardless, more than $25 mil in profit per year is a great return on their investment. And, remember, these figures are all just estimates from the journo. The real figure (profit-wise) is likely higher.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Orcasfan wrote:I think the figure of $100 million refers to the total (estimated) profit over 4 years, rather than $100 mil per year! Regardless, more than $25 mil in profit per year is a great return on their investment. And, remember, these figures are all just estimates from the journo. The real figure (profit-wise) is likely higher.
That is a very interesting point on the profits. I somewhat gave the owners the benefit of the doubt on how much they were losing heading in to the lockout, but the doubling of league revenues when the US TV numbers still haven't returned to pre-lockout levels. I never imagined the League would go from a $39 million cap to a $70 million cap in seven years under a revenue sharing model...and that's notwithstanding that many owner's profits are not "league profits", i.e. parking and some concessions and so on.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

ESQ wrote:
Orcasfan wrote: That is a very interesting point on the profits. I somewhat gave the owners the benefit of the doubt on how much they were losing heading in to the lockout, but the doubling of league revenues when the US TV numbers still haven't returned to pre-lockout levels. I never imagined the League would go from a $39 million cap to a $70 million cap in seven years under a revenue sharing model...and that's notwithstanding that many owner's profits are not "league profits", i.e. parking and some concessions and so on.
Although revenues have gone up since 2004, some teams do better than others. Under the new CBA, the high revenue teams had their costs capped, thus earning even higher profits as revenues have risen. The low revenue teams have been forced to pay to the floor (which has gone up drastically) ensuring continuing losses. I'm not sure the revenue sharing scheme in the NHL really offets the losses suffered by many franchises. I'm glad the Canucks are one of the "have" teams...which means they can and do spend to thte cap every year.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Were you guys not Canucks fans during the Brian Burke "lame-duck GM" era?
Yes. Been a fan since Tiger was there.

in regards to profits, 25million a year over 4 years on a 500 million purchase is only about 20%... or 5% a year. Kinda crappy actually for a buisness!

thats not so big when you realize canadian banks have averaged over 20% a year during the same time period (ironic how banks make money during the worst economic crisis in 80 years!!)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Madcombinepilot wrote:
Were you guys not Canucks fans during the Brian Burke "lame-duck GM" era?
Yes. Been a fan since Tiger was there.

in regards to profits, 25million a year over 4 years on a 500 million purchase is only about 20%... or 5% a year. Kinda crappy actually for a buisness!

thats not so big when you realize canadian banks have averaged over 20% a year during the same time period (ironic how banks make money during the worst economic crisis in 80 years!!)
Tthey make money on the arena outside of hockey operations. Didn't they get a large lump sum for the Olympics as well?

I think I spent close to 25M on beer.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote:
Orcasfan wrote:I think the figure of $100 million refers to the total (estimated) profit over 4 years, rather than $100 mil per year! Regardless, more than $25 mil in profit per year is a great return on their investment. And, remember, these figures are all just estimates from the journo. The real figure (profit-wise) is likely higher.
That is a very interesting point on the profits. I somewhat gave the owners the benefit of the doubt on how much they were losing heading in to the lockout, but the doubling of league revenues when the US TV numbers still haven't returned to pre-lockout levels. I never imagined the League would go from a $39 million cap to a $70 million cap in seven years under a revenue sharing model...and that's notwithstanding that many owner's profits are not "league profits", i.e. parking and some concessions and so on.
Also the franchise value has increased dramatically (too lazy to look it up).

I'm okay with re-upping Gillis, though he's no Clarkie. :wink:

I just wish he wasn't so in love with AV.

AV is alright, just smells like time for a change....
____
Try to focus on someday.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Strangelove wrote:[
Also the franchise value has increased dramatically (too lazy to look it up).
Text Mark Messier.