Off-Season Trade Thread - Needs/Wants

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Off-Season Trade Thread - Needs/Wants

Post by Topper »

Are you suggesting he bring his asshole out of the closet?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Just saying if he is hiding his inner asshole from us, I for one would love to see it! :blush:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

That would straighten things out for you, provide some hard evidence, and rectify the issue?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Well it would certainly allow me to hammer my point home!
____
Try to focus on someday.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

I hardly think it would be an uplifting experience
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I don't agree with the label of "No-Offense Manny".

Before his injury he had 30 points in 72 games, and likely would have finished with around 35. He was getting second-unit PP time on the league's best powerplay, and was actually quite decent at chipping in with Torres and Hansen. That line got white-hot at points during the season and won a few games, probably 3-4 I'd say.

At 35 points, Manny is actually in the top 70 in the league. There were only a handful of 3rd line centers with more offense than Manny - Jordan Staal, Jiri Hudler, Bouchard or Cullen in Minny, and that's about it.

This issue with Manny is the same as with the rest of the team - can they all bounce back with a longer off-season to recover and have better offensive seasons next year? Hank and Kesler are in that boat as well.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ESQ wrote:I don't agree with the label of "No-Offense Manny".

Before his injury he had 30 points in 72 games, and likely would have finished with around 35. He was getting second-unit PP time on the league's best powerplay, and was actually quite decent at chipping in with Torres and Hansen. That line got white-hot at points during the season and won a few games, probably 3-4 I'd say.

At 35 points, Manny is actually in the top 70 in the league. There were only a handful of 3rd line centers with more offense than Manny - Jordan Staal, Jiri Hudler, Bouchard or Cullen in Minny, and that's about it.

This issue with Manny is the same as with the rest of the team - can they all bounce back with a longer off-season to recover and have better offensive seasons next year? Hank and Kesler are in that boat as well.
Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far way...blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

I just love the man crush going on around here with Manny Malhotra. What is it? Is it because he is married to Steve Nash's sister, really WTF is it? I would even go as far as saying that Ryan Johnson would be a better option than Malhotra.

But hey, keep on giving Manny that massive rope cause of his eye injury.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: But hey, keep on giving Manny that massive rope cause of his eye injury.
Will do! It's a similar situation to Ian Laperriere with the Flyers. While they have the luxury of putting Laperierre on the IR to remove his cap space, I think the Canucks deserve credit for not throwing Manny on waivers or putting him in the minors.

It's sentimental for a fan, but this guy went to war for the franchise and is probably permanently disabled because of it. It would be incredibly gutless for the Canucks to dump him before giving him every chance to come back "healthy".

The LEAST the Canucks could do was give him this season, and now this offseason, to see how he recovers. They owe him that.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

It's sentimental for a fan, but this guy went to war for the franchise and is probably permanently disabled because of it. It would be incredibly gutless for the Canucks to dump him before giving him every chance to come back "healthy".
Being that May Ray doesn't get the same respect as Manny's eyes troubles do after nearly getting wheelchaired for the rest of his life last June and y'all choosing to ignore that is all the facts I need to prove that you guys have a serious man crush on Manny, ignoring the fact that his on ice product completely sucks, kind of similar to the man crush that Linden got around here as well. "Good Guy in the Community" like it somehow meant that he was a great hockey player as well.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

Being that May Ray doesn't get the same respect as Manny's eyes troubles do after nearly getting wheelchaired for the rest of his life last June and y'all choosing to ignore that is all the facts I need to prove that you guys have a serious man crush on Manny, ignoring the fact that his on ice product completely sucks, kind of similar to the man crush that Linden got around here as well. "Good Guy in the Community" like it somehow meant that he was a great hockey player as well.

Ummm Mayray stunk like a filthy hooker around the turn of 09-10. What are the excuses from the Raymond faggot posse for that ? He has averaged 10 - 12 goals and soft play for the last 2 1/2 seasons. Raymond is a great player in div 1 at Planet Ice. When people hit he turtles like the bonesmoker he is.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

Did you even watch Linden in 94 game seven, arguably one of the best games ever played by a Canuck. He almost carried us to the promised land. Don't fucking lump May Ray and Manny in with Linden. There's no comparison.
Waffle
CC Veteran

Post by Waffle »

Nuckle, I am not sure whether to disagree with your analogy, or to agree with it but either way I dispute your conclusion.

If the NHL is a war, then Raymond is a soldier who has not been doing his job, and wasn’t doing it before he got injured. The Canucks don’t owe him anything for getting injured “in the line of duty” except to arrange as best they can some other kind of work for him. In fact it would be gutless to send someone into battle who is not capable of doing his job as it would be bad not only for him, but also for his team mates and the fans.

But hockey isn’t a war, and Raymond has already made more money playing a game than many people will make in their entire life time...some doing more dangerous work...and without playing up to his last contract. The Canucks and fans owe him nothing. He in fact owes them in my opinion.

I agree with others. If he is on the team next year, I hope it is on the basis of merit, and not because of some sentimental reason. But that’s just me.

I wonder whether or not in the long run you are better off, or, if you create the wrong atomsphere if you keep players around who are not performing up to their contracts, There is obviously a fine line if your team hopes to win the Stanley Cup.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Strangelove wrote:
Lancer wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Higgs - Schroeds - Hans
Strangelove wrote: If Schroeds doesn’t look ready at the deadline, bring in a rental.
I think you're running into another Hodgson situation in mis-casting Schroeder in that 3rd line role. Not that the 3rd line C has to be a shut-down guy in the Malhotra/Pahlsson mold,
I keep hearing Schroeder has been working hard on his 2-way game this season.

Another "Hodgson situation" is extremely unlikely.

Schroeder, like most rookies, will no doubt embrace his initial role.
Lancer wrote: but I'm not sure Schroeder's finesse-oriented style would mesh with two north-south forecheckers.
We are talking about three 2-way players here, what's the problem. :drink:
Lancer wrote: Besides, in addition to getting YOUNGER, the team has to get BIGGER.
WDF (wot da fock) dude, did you miss the part where I added Nash and Weber to the lineup? :lol:
Oh no doubt he has worked hard on his 2-way game or else he wouldn't have played much for MacT. He can work as hard as he likes but that's like me working hard on my Arabic for a season - at the end of the day I don't think the UN is going to send me in as a terp in Syria no matter how hard I worked. Schroeder may have made some strides but he couldn't possibly be up to snuff with either Higgins or Hansen. If the team was a couple years from contending, okay let him cut his teeth in the bigs on the 3rd line. How comfy would you be going in with the smurf as your 3rd liner in next year's playoffs? You can imagine how comfy AV would be.

Oh, I didn't miss the part about adding Nash and Weber (only one of whom plays as physical as this team would need him to be), but what you add with those guys you take away by deploying the smurf out there.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Waffle wrote: If the NHL is a war, then Raymond is a soldier who has not been doing his job, and wasn’t doing it before he got injured. The Canucks don’t owe him anything for getting injured “in the line of duty” except to arrange as best they can some other kind of work for him. In fact it would be gutless to send someone into battle who is not capable of doing his job as it would be bad not only for him, but also for his team mates and the fans.

But hockey isn’t a war, and Raymond has already made more money playing a game than many people will make in their entire life time...some doing more dangerous work...and without playing up to his last contract. The Canucks and fans owe him nothing. He in fact owes them in my opinion.
Waffle, I was discussing the Malhotra situation, which I feel is a far worse injury, given that there is probably no way to physically recover from it.

Blob already pointed out Raymond's problems, and he's in a different situation. He's expected to be a top-6 producer, the guy has scored 25 goals. He's disappointed for two straight years, and now his contract is up. You're right, the Canucks do not owe him anything and I think they should walk away without qualifying him (which would cost 100% of his current salary).

Malhotra still has a year on his contract that has a NTC. So Gillis' options include asking him to waive (something he's against doing philosophically) and using him as a cap dump, putting him on waivers to demote him to the AHL, or buying him out. I'm of the mind that Malhotra can still be useful, if overpaid. Even if by $1M, I think showing that loyalty to the guy says a lot about the franchise to the guys in the room. I think some of our players could certainly still learn from the way Manny approaches and still plays the game. He's an honest, hard working player, and I think this is something the Canucks still lack. At the end of Malhotra's contract, I wouldn't be offering him an extension based on anything but his play. But doing everything you can to rid your team of 3% of your total cap, when this guy has done everything asked of him and paid the price for it, seems completely ruthless and gutless to me.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

if Mayray is qualified then we know the aquaman made a booboo with GMMG's extention...