The Presidensts Trophy

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: The Presidensts Trophy

Post by Strangelove »

I hate to agree with Dude but I wish I could get within pissing distance of the Presidents Trophy

(22 feet).
____
Try to focus on someday.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

..liked the way they won it last year, all in domination of anything and everything.

This year meh.

Butt.

In the end it's all about a Cup.

Anything less is uncivilized.
DeLevering since 1999.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Topper wrote:Soccer and One day Cricket both have world Cups, as does Rugby.
Those are for national sides, not club teams. Maybe football's Champions League is similar.

The NHL is a bit trophy-crazy anyways. I mean, we even have trophies for the conference winners! Who cares!
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

True, but NA major leage sports are somewhat unique in that they have both regular and post-season winners. There's nothing comparable on the world sport stage. Tennis, cricket, F1, boxing, football/soccer, rugby ... out of those only tennis is remotely similar in that there are grand-slam winners and then the #1 ranked player, with similar jeers for the latter who hasn't won any of the former, Wozniacki and Safina being examples of this.

So hockey isn't really that unique when compared with other sports with similar trophies ... it just so happens that those are NA sports.[/quote]

The major difference is sport franchises are bought in NA...it's business first and fore most. You cannot buy a Premiership team as a expansion franchise. Soccer like it or not is THE bench mark for sports...nothing comes close. The teams are old and started a long time ago, have PROMOTION & DEMOITION. which makes league standing extremely important. The bread and butter is still the league play for NA sports...if it's so unimportant why the hell do we bother going to the games :D Soccer by the way all have Cup play in addition to league play ie the FA Cup
cheers
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

My defense of the value of the Presidents Trophy is that none of the other sports take nearly the same physical toll that hockey does during the regular season. The NFL comes very close, and the injuries are usually more long-term, but they only play 16 games. MLS players would have you believe that soccer exacts a serious physical price, but we all know better. The NBA and MLB are nearly as strenuous as the PGA tour.

The NHL demands 82 games, sometimes back-to-back, and those games are unmatched in speed, second only to the NFL in physicality, and demand a combination of all the talents required to succeed in the other sports. Did I mention they have to use all those talents at high speed while balancing on a pair of thin metal blades?

The other sports don't celebrate the regular season champion because they haven't come near to paying the same price that the number one regular season team in the NHL does.

That ALL being said, if it isn't the Cup, it just isn't the Cup.

Gillis can't simply scrub this team, it is too deep and too talented. However, I'm not convinced that even throwing a Zach Parise and Shea Weber on this team while only losing Luongo, Raymond, and one of our current defensemen, would put this team in the winners category. Not with the current coach. Darryl Sutter has taken two teams deep into the playoffs in the last 7 seasons, teams that barely made the playoffs. He did it by coaching playoff hockey, strong, responsible defense, in front of a very good goaltender, and playing physical, bruising, and SIMPLE, offense. Fill the lanes, support the puck, go to the net. He really isn't all that great of a coach when you look at the regular season numbers, but he knows how to get results in the playoffs when he has time to setup his team for a particular opponent. He knows shutdown hockey, and he knows how to get players to buy-in, execute HIS gameplan, and work their asses off. Gillis needs to get a coach who can do this.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

I don't understand the issue. I don't honestly believe the Canucks even fought for the President's Trophy this year, they just happened to have won it.

It' not like they went balls to the wall down the stretch in order to finish first in the regular season.

It's always been and always will be the Stanley Cup that is the Holy Grail, seeding is all that mattered this year and even that proved useless in the end.

The President's Trophy holds about the same value as all the individual awards players get each year.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Fred wrote:True, but NA major leage sports are somewhat unique in that they have both regular and post-season winners.

I'll ask again.

What sport?

The NFL, NBA and MLB do what for their regular season winners?

Who even are these entities?
DeLevering since 1999.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

5thhorseman wrote: The NHL is a bit trophy-crazy anyways.
The NHL can dress their trophies up as much as they like. Fan response tells the story.

President's trophy parades are somewhat rare.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

donlever wrote:Indeed.

The Presidensts Trophy is a shit bag.

The Presidents trophy, while also uninspiring, is not nearly as bad however.

But he did spell all the swear words correctly. I like the kid's potential.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

donlever wrote:
Fred wrote:True, but NA major leage sports are somewhat unique in that they have both regular and post-season winners.

I'll ask again.

What sport?

The NFL, NBA and MLB do what for their regular season winners?

Who even are these entities?
They all have trophies or pennants or whatever, but the fact that I'd have to go look them up is just more proof of how meaningless they are. I do love the football model, with promotion/demotion, qualification for Champions League, Europa League, etc. It makes the bottom of the table so much more interesting towards the end of the season, whereas all we have is debate over whether a team is tanking it in order to improve their chances of a better draft position.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well, there is far more significance in baseball on winning divisions and League Championship. But there only a handful of teams make the playoffs to begin with so the importance is greater. In the NHL with 16 teams making the dance and anything can happen hockey winning the PT or the conference or the division only matters for playoff seeding and home ice.

But back to back PT is nothing to sneeze at. Yes, the holly grail is the cup and anything short puts us in Buffalo Bill territory. This year we backed in by having an amazing winning streak to end the season. Both St. Louis and NYR tanked down the stretch. So we earned it but had luck on our side. Last year was thrilling because we were simply the best for most of the year and statistically we held our own in most categories.

I'm proud of the accomplishment but not satisfied yet that we don't have the cup.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote:My defense of the value of the Presidents Trophy is that none of the other sports take nearly the same physical toll that hockey does during the regular season. The NFL comes very close, and the injuries are usually more long-term, but they only play 16 games. MLS players would have you believe that soccer exacts a serious physical price, but we all know better. The NBA and MLB are nearly as strenuous as the PGA tour.

The NHL demands 82 games, sometimes back-to-back, and those games are unmatched in speed, second only to the NFL in physicality, and demand a combination of all the talents required to succeed in the other sports. Did I mention they have to use all those talents at high speed while balancing on a pair of thin metal blades?

The other sports don't celebrate the regular season champion because they haven't come near to paying the same price that the number one regular season team in the NHL does.

That ALL being said, if it isn't the Cup, it just isn't the Cup.

Gillis can't simply scrub this team, it is too deep and too talented. However, I'm not convinced that even throwing a Zach Parise and Shea Weber on this team while only losing Luongo, Raymond, and one of our current defensemen, would put this team in the winners category. Not with the current coach. Darryl Sutter has taken two teams deep into the playoffs in the last 7 seasons, teams that barely made the playoffs. He did it by coaching playoff hockey, strong, responsible defense, in front of a very good goaltender, and playing physical, bruising, and SIMPLE, offense. Fill the lanes, support the puck, go to the net. He really isn't all that great of a coach when you look at the regular season numbers, but he knows how to get results in the playoffs when he has time to setup his team for a particular opponent. He knows shutdown hockey, and he knows how to get players to buy-in, execute HIS gameplan, and work their asses off. Gillis needs to get a coach who can do this.
No offense Mëds, but this post of yours came across as one big pile of stinky cow dung. I think I disagreed on every point you made "too deep and too talented"? What fucking team are you watching, cause it ain't the same one as me. After a few certain players, there is a serious drop off in talent.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Fred wrote: In most sports the League champions are celebrated...the excepition Hockey
Um, no. Basketball? Football? Baseball? The only argument you have is The British Premiership in Football (soccer)
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Back to back President's sure was something, but that's all it was. Something special but not significant enough.

Sadly, the team was able to get a total of 105 wins in two years but cannot get the important 16 wins in either year.

Fuck the President's yeah.

Chances are we might be in the running for another President's next year but of course, we dont' give a fuck.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

When I was a kid in the late 80's/early 90's the hockey card for President's Trophy and 50/50 Scorer &c. were all regarded about the same. Meh. Stupid filler card.

Question remains though, are there quantifiable reasons why the team hasn't been an apex predator since after The Boston Game?