Farhan's $0.02: Dealing Luongo and Schneider = Chicago 2010?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Farhan's $0.02: Dealing Luongo and Schneider = Chicago 2

Post by Strangelove »

Cornuck wrote: Have you already forgotten the Cloutier era? I, for one, do not want to return to those dark days.
Exactly, how soon they forget!

We've been spoiled having Luongo for so long and now Schneids.

But for those who can remember the "dark days", think about it...

... there are teams out there who have been going through that the last coupla years:

They will pay an arm + leg for a tender like Lou/Schneids! :thumbs:

(I don't wanna see any Weekes jokes in this thread!) :evil:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Strangelove wrote:
Cornuck wrote: Have you already forgotten the Cloutier era? I, for one, do not want to return to those dark days.
Exactly, how soon they forget!

We've been spoiled having Luongo for so long and now Schneids.

But for those who can remember the "dark days", think about it...

... there are teams out there who have been going through that the last coupla years:

They will pay an arm + leg for a tender like Lou/Schneids! :thumbs:

(I don't wanna see any Weekes jokes in this thread!) :evil:
But again - I haven't forgotten about the "Cloutier era".............and at the same time, the Canucks' lack of success at the time had a bit more to do than just goaltending (which is why that despite being a "good" team, they weren't a "great" team like the current Canuck teams of the past 2 seasons).

If the Canucks were to deal both Lou and Schneids, you would have to think that we'd become extremely deep up front, on D, and on the farm. As was the case with Chicago back in 2010 when they won the cup (i.e. with a non-elite goalie, yet a dangerously stacked team in front of said goalie), perhaps the Canucks can do the same?

Think back to when Edmonton made a run to cup back in 05/06. Dwayne Roloson has never been a "superstar" goalie in this league, but he's always been pretty good........good enough to help a team win when he gets hot.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Strangelove wrote:
And there are also teams that have won cups without having had a goalie that could be considered "top 5" in the league.

-Carolina - Cam Ward
-Anaheim - JS Giguerre
-Detroit - Chris Osgood (probably not even a top 10 goalie)
-Pitsburgh - Marc Andre Fleury
-Chicago - Antti Niemi (probably not even a top 10 goalie).

What these teams DO have in common however, is that the team in front was freakishly good.......to the point where they didn't need a Tim Thomas-like or Martin Brodeur-like performance to win the cup. All they needed was for their average goalies to be "good" (which they were), and/or for the team in front to simply be overly dominant.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Hey Farhan, the pennies days are numbered. When are you going to upgrade to nickels?
2011..... the one that got away.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:Hey Farhan, the pennies days are numbered. When are you going to upgrade to nickels?
Sorry Eddy,

I have no clue what that ambiguously gay comment pertains to.

If it's in reference to something along the lines of, "what worked in the past may not work now", I don't agree. I still think there's a million ways to skin a cat.

The Canucks will obviously keep Schneider and trade Luongo, but I think it would've been interesting to see what they could have gotten for both of them. Deeper farm, deep up front, deeper on 'D',.......with a chance that their new 'average' goalie could get hot when it mattered most.......like what Holtby is doing now.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:Hey Farhan, the pennies days are numbered. When are you going to upgrade to nickels?
Well he is offering digital thoughts, maybe he's using PayPal, or writing a cheque...

"Nickel for your thoughts" doesn't work as well, imo...
Last edited by Island Nucklehead on Sun May 06, 2012 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Well he is offering digital thoughts, maybe he's using PayPal, or writing a cheque...
:lol:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Sorry Eddy,

I have no clue what that ambiguously gay comment pertains to.

it means we no longer produce pennies in Canada...didnt you get the memo?