Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Offseason Wheelings and Dealings

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

dhabums wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:I bet Parise would play for $7.5M.
Or 6.5 in a cheaper city with far less taxes than Canada.
He should do what Mogilny did and get himself a pad in Point Roberts. The tax savings alone would pay for the place.
2011..... the one that got away.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote: Dave, the Canadiens are one of the richest teams in the NHL.

They owe it to their fans at this point to get rid of the entire $7.35mil cap-hit.
dbr wrote: I don't think you see fans getting "fair treatment" from many NHL teams - especially not losing teams - if you think that fans have a right to expect this and that, anyway. Hell just look at the Maple leaves, how many times in their eight seasons and counting playoff drought have they raised ticket prices?
Strangelove wrote: Dave, you are saying they are interested in appearing "player friendly" but not interested in appearing "fan friendly".
dbr wrote: Well it's not that simple. I'm saying "fan friendliness" isn't going to be the be-all, it would be crazy to suggest they are not interested at all in appealing to their paying customers.
I'm glad you understand it would be crazy to suggest teams don't care about their fans Dave.

You had me worried with all your talk of fans not getting "fair treatment" from many NHL teams (above).

Remember, that was your response to me suggesting the Canadiens owe it to their fans to send Gomez down.

So then clearly you meant it would be TOO "fan friendly" for Les Habs to send Gomez down.

Yet buying Gomez out would be juuuuuuust fan-friendly enough!

I disagree Dave. :mex:
Strangelove wrote: Why would they care about what the players think of them?
dbr wrote: Ask the Oilers, they don't seem too worried about sending a big fuck you to the players clearly on the outs with the organization. You think another Sheldon Souray signs there any time soon?
It would be crazy to suggest the Canadiens don’t care about what players think of them Dave.

My question was in response to your - fans shouldn’t expect fair treatment - comment.

In proper context, I was asking why a team that doesn’t care about fans would care about players.

But now that you’ve clarified that you DO believe teams care about fans (to a certain degree)

.... we can agree that teams do indeed care about what players think of their organization.

But would players think less of Les Habs if they sent Gomez down at this point?

THAT is the question!

You say yes, I say no.

Don’t forget we both agreed Gomez is perhaps “the league's most notorious underperformer”.

I say the players, being the professionals they are, would COMPLETELY understand.

This guy has been sucking frog ass for years Dave.

As a matter of fact if I’m a UFA who wants to win, I don’t wanna play on a team with that $7.4m black hole.

Players would like and respect Montreal actually more if they did send Gomez down.

dbr wrote: So wait is the Darcy Tucker buyout supposed to be fan-friendly (where the Gomez buy out is not)?
They are both fan-friendly.

There are different degrees of friendliness Dave. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Numbers....

Gomez actual 2012-13 salary: $5.5mil ($7.4mil cap hit)

Gomez actual 2013-14 salary: $4.5mil ($7.4mil cap hit)

If Les Habs decide to buy him out this summer:

Gomez must be paid 2012-13: $1.666mil ($3,523,810 cap hit)

Gomez must be paid 2013-14: $1.666mil ($4,523,810 cap hit)

Gomez must be paid 2014-15: $1.666mil ($1,666,667 cap hit)

Gomez must be paid 2015-16: $1.666mil ($1,666,667 cap hit)

Gomez would receive $6.66mil (over 4 years) actual dollars total if bought out.

Gomez would receive $10mil (over 2 years) actual dollars total if sent down.

So it would cost $3.33mil more *real dollars* to send him down vs buyout.

Note buyout cap hits listed above for each of the 4 seasons vs zero cap hit if sent down.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Bury that Alaxican.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Meanwhile, over in Bergevin's old stomping grounds.. some discord among the Blackhawks coaching staff.

Long story short, assistant coach Mike Haviland has been relieved of his duties. Somewhat longer..
Didn't get a lot of face-time with the Chicago Blackhawks this season and I'm not around the team every day like a Chris Kuc, an Adam Jahns or a Tracey Myers. But there were plenty of rumours of behind-the-scenes strife, especially when former Scotty Bowman assistant Barry Smith appeared on-ice to help with the ailing power play.

General manager Stan Bowman agreed to address it two months ago and disagreed with the idea of a rift, pointing out that Smith - the team's director of player development - worked with guys all the time. He added it didn't hurt to "have an extra set of eyes" with a power play that went 0-for-40 in one stretch.

The rumours never went away. Not being there makes it very difficult to recognize what really is going on. Tuesday night, we finally received a window into the situation.

As Joel Quenneville emphatically stated his desire to stay with the Blackhawks, assistant coach Mike Haviland was fired. This came two days after we blathered that Quenneville's good friend, new Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin, may ask for permission to talk to him about the Montreal opening.

"I had an assessment that there is some dysfunction to our coaching staff and we need a change," Quenneville said on a conference call, adding that Stan Bowman agreed. "It was not an easy decision. It was tough on Mike. I'm respectful for the job that he did. It's not the blame game here."

He later added, "I take ownership for what happened this year."

The word "dysfunction" is an eyebrow-raiser, because you so rarely hear coaches use it in relation to their staff. But, it is the exact word that's been used from the outside to describe what's been going on in Chicago.

black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Quenneville has been given more power in Chicago and part of that power is/was the ability to hire who he wants to be his assistants.

Perhaps we see AV go after the same thing here so we dont get another Ryan Walter ?
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Renney's gone in EDM.....

This could be a big turning point for EDM if they get a coach who can actually teach them a system. Could be a turning point for Tambellini too. I dont know how they can say no to Yakupov, but man they need defense. Murray might be that safe (Josh Holden) pick.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

At first I felt bad for Tambellini, I thought he had earned a shot at running a franchise, and even thought he should have had the job instead of Gillis :oops:

I still don't know how much Tamby is to blame, and how much Kevin Lowe is still pulling the strings in Edmonton, but my god that is a terribly run franchise from top to bottom. I keep watching for parallels with the Penguins, but I just don't get it. Yes, loading up on high picks is an enticing way to turn a franchise around, but Pittsburgh needed to get Malkin and Crosby to pull it off. Chicago's Keith and Seabrook had been with the franchise 6-7 years by the time they won the Cup.

And now, another search for another head coach. Good luck with that. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see them go for one of the veteran coaches out there - Crawford, Terry Murray, Jacques Martin, etc.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ESQ wrote: I keep watching for parallels with the Penguins, but I just don't get it. Yes, loading up on high picks is an enticing way to turn a franchise around, but Pittsburgh needed to get Malkin and Crosby to pull it off. Chicago's Keith and Seabrook had been with the franchise 6-7 years by the time they won the Cup.
I agree. That Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin draft era produced SERIOUS superstars. HHoF worthy calibre.

Time will tell with Hall and RNH. I think Eberle could (and is currently) the best one of the three. Jason Spezza was drafted 2nd overall, he's bigger than RNH and I think RNH will be lucky to have the career Spezza has had. Either way, I don't think he's a HHoF type player. Taylor Hall has already suffered a major shoulder injury, a concussion, and a couple minor ankle and face injuries. And we think Ryan Kesler's style of play will limit his career??

Obviously the Oilers could keep drafting these budding stars and they should see some success down the road. Ultimately, I think their best bet would be to pull an LA Kings. Identify their core players, and seriously consider trading one or two of your high prospects/picks for established veterans. It goes without saying that some of these kids won't pan out, and your window gets smaller as you (needlessly IMO) burn ELC years. Hall and Eberle are RFA after next season...

Consider trading a guy like Hall for Erik Karlsson. Consider trading the first overall draft choice for Jordan Staal or package it for Shea Weber and hope he'll play for you. Consider moving Parjaavi. Consider trading Eberle for Cory Schneider :lol:. The point is you can gain all these high picks and prospects, but adding guys like Hordichuck and Eager doesn't add jack shit. I think their chances of adding quality free agents for below (or even at) market prices is slim given their market and history. They need to acquire current contracts and prove the team can be competitive before people will take their franchise seriously. Right now, they seem to me like the New York Islanders (with top-10 picks like Tavares, Nidereitter, Strome, Okposo, Bailey etc)... except the Islanders have a better location and travel schedule.

One thing that the playoffs this season have shown is that the system is stronger than talent. This was true with the Bruins last year. The skilled teams of the league, and Vancouver is one, need to tighten up their system play and find that extra motivation to battle teams you know are inferior (in skill) to you. This team had that motivation in 2011. This year they looked to coast on talent alone. I imagine Gillis is banking on the Luongo trade to shake-up the teams make-up. Ultimately, the country club atmosphere of this club has to change. They need to be harder working team. If their work ethic matched their talent they'll win some championships.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ESQ wrote:I still don't know how much Tamby is to blame, and how much Kevin Lowe is still pulling the strings in Edmonton, but my god that is a terribly run franchise from top to bottom.
I look around at the Canadian clubs and wait for them to have their epiphany. Vancouver had their's when Nonnis was let go. Make no mistake, AV had to win his job with GMMG and he did so in their discussions. Montreal has just had theirs with the house cleaning at the top, realizing that there had been several downright embarrassing decisions made. The Jets did their shakeup with the move, Ottawa may finally be on the right track

Edmonton and Calgary still don't have a clue what kind of stagnant cesspool they are treading water in.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Topper wrote:
ESQ wrote:I still don't know how much Tamby is to blame, and how much Kevin Lowe is still pulling the strings in Edmonton, but my god that is a terribly run franchise from top to bottom.
I look around at the Canadian clubs and wait for them to have their epiphany. Vancouver had their's when Nonnis was let go. Make no mistake, AV had to win his job with GMMG and he did so in their discussions. Montreal has just had theirs with the house cleaning at the top, realizing that there had been several downright embarrassing decisions made. The Jets did their shakeup with the move, Ottawa may finally be on the right track

Edmonton and Calgary still don't have a clue what kind of stagnant cesspool they are treading water in.
Add Toronto to that mix. I look at the team Burke has built and I see no 1st line C,no.1 D, or a starting goalie. Carolina, Tampa, Buffalo and Montreal have better chances of making the playoffs next season unless Burke makes big moves (ie landing Lou).
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Topper wrote:

Add Toronto to that mix. I look at the team Burke has built and I see no 1st line C,no.1 D, or a starting goalie. Carolina, Tampa, Buffalo and Montreal have better chances of making the playoffs next season unless Burke makes big moves (ie landing Lou).
Just a thought:

If the Canucks gave Lou AND Kesler to Toronto (and a promising defenseman like Chris Tanev), do you think that could land us the following:

-Carter Ashton
-Jake Gardiner
-Luke Schenn
-Joe Colborne
-Toronto's 1st rounder this year

Again - I'm thinking out loud. I have absolutely no clue if something like that would be fair.

I guess I'm just seeing it from the perspective that Burke might be looking to make a splash, while the Canucks can play the whole "depth/kids is key" angle.
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Just a thought:

If the Canucks gave Lou AND Kesler to Toronto (and a promising defenseman like Chris Tanev), do you think that could land us the following:

-Carter Ashton
-Jake Gardiner
-Luke Schenn
-Joe Colborne
-Toronto's 1st rounder this year

Again - I'm thinking out loud. I have absolutely no clue if something like that would be fair.

I guess I'm just seeing it from the perspective that Burke might be looking to make a splash, while the Canucks can play the whole "depth/kids is key" angle.
I would hope/ expect Lou and Kes and Tanev to bring a whole lot more than that. None of those guys you mention is a proven NHLer. And I'm sure Lou and Kes would be ecstatic to be traded to the same team. They are best of buddies after all :mex:
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Any one think that Booth may have done MG a huge favour by greasing ( with bear fat ) his own skids and a ticket out of town. Now endorsed by the champion for the National Rifle Association ( and a threat to the President of the USA ) Your favourite and mine none other than Mr Ted Nugent. Sounds like he and Tim Thomas may belong top the same club :D :D
cheers
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Fred wrote:Any one think that Booth may have done MG a huge favour by greasing ( with bear fat ) his own skids and a ticket out of town. Now endorsed by the champion for the National Rifle Association ( and a threat to the President of the USA ) Your favourite and mine none other than Mr Ted Nugent. Sounds like he and Tim Thomas may belong top the same club :D :D
No I don't and I don't see what the fuss is about. The guy hunts, so what.