LA is screwed for the next few years

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: LA is screwed for the next few years

Post by okcanuck »

Farhan Lalji wrote:And this thread is exactly why I try not to talk shit about other teams a la Alberta style.

Karma.

The last time I went out of my way to shit about another teams' fanbase was during the 00's..........and after watching the spectacular rise and spectacular fall of the WCE era, combined with improbable cup runs by both Calgary and Edmonton, I decided to discontinue my trolling efforts on other message boards.......let alone talk shit about other teams.

But that's just me.
A bunch of us on here have talked shit about Chicago and Boston and we were right.It worked. They sucked as much as we did in the playoffs, therefore we are glad we talked shit. But thats just us.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Have a blast then I guess.

Don't let me stand in the way of your happiness. :P
Toasty_B
AHL Prospect

Post by Toasty_B »

SKYO wrote:With all the top teams dropped, LA could sneak a cup here. :mad:

And continue with the trend recently of - beat the Canucks, and win a cup!
if LA is able to sneak a Cup here they will be the lowest seeded team to win it under the 16 team playoff format.

Jersey is presently the lowest seeded Cup winner (5th in the East in 1995). The Oil came close in 2006 as the 8th seeded Western Conference champion.

This will also make a good Cinderella story in the US, where they love an underdog. Consider the similarities with the 9-7 New York Giants Super Bowl win this year - big market, underachieving regular season team sneaks into playoffs, goaltender/quarterback plays freaking unbelievable, pulls off the upset against several favorites, wins the whole damn thing and become media darlings for a whole year.

Whatever the outcome, this scenario would go a long way to achieving Bettman's plan to increase hockey's popularity in non-traditional markets. :evil:
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

LA is playing well. I'm surprised that their hyper aggressive PK isn't getting burned hard but... add a Veznia goalie and trap defense and I guess you can do it.

Next year is going to be ugly. I think lots of teams are going to copy this style. Going to be brutal to watch. I know MG hates this type of play and favours a strong, offensive team but I don't think he can ignore the payoffs. I can't see him making a complete switch but maybe some type of hybrid or something.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

wafflecombine wrote:LA is playing well. I'm surprised that their hyper aggressive PK isn't getting burned hard but... add a Veznia goalie and trap defense and I guess you can do it.

Next year is going to be ugly. I think lots of teams are going to copy this style. Going to be brutal to watch. I know MG hates this type of play and favours a strong, offensive team but I don't think he can ignore the payoffs. I can't see him making a complete switch but maybe some type of hybrid or something.
Team speed has always been the counter to the trap. Vancouver didn't have any whatsoever this past series and look at the results.
I see much the same with the Blues. Lots of standing around watching and no energy. LA seems to be finishing hard on the forecheck deep in the opposition zone and eliminating that trailer option for the rush. In fact, they're finishing hard all over the ice and it's really taking its toll on teams.
Speed AND size like Phoenix and LA is the new recipe for success i suppose....
If you need air...call it in
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

I believe Gillis already said something to that effect - Younger, bigger and faster.

But my memory could be off. If he did say that during his scrum then he identified the trend pretty well.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
wafflecombine wrote:LA is playing well. I'm surprised that their hyper aggressive PK isn't getting burned hard but... add a Veznia goalie and trap defense and I guess you can do it.

Team speed has always been the counter to the trap. Vancouver didn't have any whatsoever this past series and look at the results.
Everyone keeps going on about the Kings' lack of team speed. Are we sure about this, or are we just regurgitating old opinions? They've certainly got good speed in terms of getting to the puck and the first-available outlet pass. Vancouver is not a slow team. Is the loss completely attributable to being out-worked?
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Puck wrote:Vancouver is not a slow team. Is the loss completely attributable to being out-worked?
I'll use this quote but not address the words specifically at you Puck.

We can, as a group, remove our finger from the panic button and back away from the cliff at this point in time.

The Kings are the real deal right now.

Clearly we lost to a team playing extremely well with many (most) of it's top players going 100% at the top of their game. As a matter of fact a bounce here and there and the series is much closer than 5 but regardless full value to LA, they were the better club.

The Canucks did not have the gear this year and lost. Credit them for winning the PT when their A game was obviously not in the bag.

Tweaks here and there and we will be in the mix next year.

I mentioned this several days ago but losing this series can be viewed from a postive perspective. Clearly the team needs to refuel, refocus, get healthy, straighten out a couple of issues and move forward. What better way than to lose first round, which not only provides the time for rest and healing but the motivation for the future?
Last edited by donlever on Wed May 02, 2012 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeLevering since 1999.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

No panic here. I think we are only a couple of pieces and a solid summer's rest and training away from getting it done.

I think both teams - Van and LA are pretty quick. We will see how things develop in the off season.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

donlever wrote:
Puck wrote:Vancouver is not a slow team. Is the loss completely attributable to being out-worked?
I'll use this quote but not address the words specifically at you Puck.

We can, as a group, remove our finger from the panic button and back away from the cliff at this point in time.

The Kings are the real deal right now.

Clearly we lost to a team playing extremely well with many (most) of it's top players going 100% at the top of their game. As a matter of fact a bounce here and there and the series is much closer than 5 but regardless full value to LA, they were the better club.

The Canucks did not have the gear this year and lost. Credit them for winning the PT when their A game was obviously not in the bag.

Tweaks here and there and we will be in the mix next year.

I mentioned this several days ago but losing this series can be viewed from a postive perspective. Clearly the team needs to refuel, refocus, get healthy, straighten out a couple of issues and move forward. What better way than to lose first round, which not only provides the time for rest and healing but the motivation for the future?
I really agree with this sentiment. Losing like we did last year carries a big price tag and I think it has finally been paid.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I have to say I really like the title to this post

Oh yeah :lol:
cheers
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Fred wrote:I have to say I really like the title to this post

The key is "Next few years". This is only the first year. The Kings might look unstoppable right now but who knows.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Fred wrote:I have to say I really like the title to this post

They might be squeezed in 2 years when Quick is due a raise on his $1.8M.

For 2013 they've already got Doughty at $7M, Richards at $5.75, Carter at $5.27, Williams at $3.65, Gagne at $3.5, Brown at $3.1, Mitchell at $3.5 and Scuderi at $3.4 and Greene at $3.0.

But they're also losing Penner and Stoll at $8M at the end of this year.

Might be... as we have no clue where the Cap will go.