Canucks get Zack Kassian

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Canucks get Zack Kassian

Postby dbr » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:32 am

Farhan Lalji wrote:You look at the GF and GA percentage before and after the Hodgson deal, and you'll notice that the GA percentage isn't a whole different. You look at the GF percentage however and it reveals a whole different story.

It's actually been in decline for most of the year.

October: 2.82 G/G (31G in 11GP)
November to the Bruins game: 3.64 G/G (102 G in 28 GP)
Bruins game to the trade deadline: 2.95 G/G (59 G in 20 GP)
Trade deadline to end of Regular season: 2.5 G/G (45 G in 18 GP)

Interestingly enough, Cody Hodson was relatively hot during that productive period - 21 of his 33 points as a Canuck came in that stretch. Outside of that period Hodgson contributed little or no offense (12 P in 32 GP) and the Canucks offensive production was middling at best.

My guess is that the Canucks saw Hodgson as a player that would be productive at some times (and a key to victory during those times) and a complete liability otherwise.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Eddy Punch Clock » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:48 am

MG's door has always been open to the players.

"I've spent more time dealing with Cody's issues than all of the other players put together in the past three years."

Selfish little puke.
2011..... the one that got away.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby SKYO » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:28 pm

Farhan Lalji wrote:
You look at the GF and GA percentage before and after the Hodgson deal, and you'll notice that the GA percentage isn't a whole different. You look at the GF percentage however and it reveals a whole different story.

Additionally Cody was a much more dangerous player offensively out there, with creating scoring chances a heck of a lot more than most of the forwards on the Canucks, sans the twins line.

Anyways Kass just needs to workout hard this offseason, absorb a lot at training camp/preseason, and if he's quicker/stronger with and without the puck maybe he makes the squad, if not a few months/half a season in the AHL should help him with timing/systems etc, basically be a better hockey player overall.
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby tantalum » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:36 am

If you also look at the numbers you will see that for the 15 games leading up to the trade the Hodgson line was absolutely terrible at generating chances and putting points on the board. Any winger that played on that line had worse stats than before or after being on the line. When Pahlsson was brought in the third line was far more effective at everything. The loss of scoring can not be attributed to the loss of Hodgson. No way no how.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Fred » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:48 pm

tantalum wrote:If you also look at the numbers you will see that for the 15 games leading up to the trade the Hodgson line was absolutely terrible at generating chances and putting points on the board. Any winger that played on that line had worse stats than before or after being on the line. When Pahlsson was brought in the third line was far more effective at everything. The loss of scoring can not be attributed to the loss of Hodgson. No way no how.

Selling Hodgson article

http://canucksarmy.com/2012/4/24/gillis ... nced-stats
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby Topper » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:09 pm

Canucks army claiming to use advanced stats is like Yugo claiming to build cars.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby Fred » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:00 pm

Words from Elliot Friedman

4. In the March 6 edition of this blog, I mentioned that Vancouver "targeted" a few players in a possible Cody Hodgson deal. Zack Kassian was one, obviously. I also noted Brandon Sutter, who the Carolina Hurricanes love, and made an educated guess at John Carlson (which appears to be true). Canucks GM Mike Gillis said Tuesday there were six players. According to a couple of sources, sounds like the fourth was Erik Gudbranson and the fifth Kyle Clifford. No. 6? Not sure.
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby Jovocop » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:22 pm

Fred wrote:Words from Elliot Friedman

4. In the March 6 edition of this blog, I mentioned that Vancouver "targeted" a few players in a possible Cody Hodgson deal. Zack Kassian was one, obviously. I also noted Brandon Sutter, who the Carolina Hurricanes love, and made an educated guess at John Carlson (which appears to be true). Canucks GM Mike Gillis said Tuesday there were six players. According to a couple of sources, sounds like the fourth was Erik Gudbranson and the fifth Kyle Clifford. No. 6? Not sure.

Clifford, seriously?? At most, he is a third liner. Kassian at worst can put up better numbers than Clifford.

Kassian, 44GP 4G 6A -2, 0.23PPG
Clifford, 157GP 12G 14A -15, 0.17PPG
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Fred » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:29 pm

Jovocop wrote:
Fred wrote:Words from Elliot Friedman

Clifford, seriously?? At most, he is a third liner. Kassian at worst can put up better numbers than Clifford.

Yeah I thought that was a strange comparison, but 0.06 difference in PPG is not a huge difference is it ? ( 5 assists per season ) A while back another analyst compared Kassian to Chris Neal in Ottawa. This kid is not universally well thought of. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.....but.... I like Gudbranson but Tallon is not looking to even the Vcr/Panthers score with that trade
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby Jovocop » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:19 pm

Fred wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Clifford, seriously?? At most, he is a third liner. Kassian at worst can put up better numbers than Clifford.

Yeah I thought that was a strange comparison, but 0.06 difference in PPG is not a huge difference is it ? ( 5 assists per season ) A while back another analyst compared Kassian to Chris Neal in Ottawa. This kid is not universally well thought of. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.....but.... I like Gudbranson but Tallon is not looking to even the Vcr/Panthers score with that trade

Unfortunately, the 0.06 difference is only based on Kassian's 44 NHL games. Their statistics in junior tell a better story of who they really are.

Kassian's last year (10/11) in OHL, 56GP 26G 51A +10, 1.38PPG
Clifford's last year (09/10) in OHL, 58GP 28G 29A +32, 0.98PPG
Neil's last year (98-99) in OHL, 66GP 26G 46A +2, 1.09PPG

Neil's NHL career stat, 731GP 90G 110A 0, 0.27PPG but in his first NHL season, 72GP 10G 7A +5, 0.23PPG

Kassian put up the same PPG as Neil in his first NHL season with 28 less games played. I remember most of the Canucks fans would like to have Neil. Now, at the least, we get a younger and cheaper Neil on the team. The upside is that Kassian could be a lot better player than Neil in a couple years.
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:16 pm

Fred wrote:Yeah I thought that was a strange comparison, but 0.06 difference in PPG is not a huge difference is it ? ( 5 assists per season ) A while back another analyst compared Kassian to Chris Neal in Ottawa. This kid is not universally well thought of. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.....but.... I like Gudbranson but Tallon is not looking to even the Vcr/Panthers score with that trade

So John Shannon or Doug Mclean's opinion is more valuable than the 7 or 8 analysts ( Bob Mckenzie, Ray Ferraro, Pierre Maguire, Pierre Lebrun, Brad May, John Garrett) who compared Kassian to Ryane Clowe, David Clarkson and Milan Lucic.

I guess that's how it works. :lol: :lol:

As for Tallon "evening the score" ..... the reason he doesn't want another young centre is because he is fucking loaded with them .... see Bjugstad, Huberdeau, Shore etc. He isn't loaded with big, tough, mobile, cheap d men.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Postby FAN » Tue May 01, 2012 2:42 am

I think Todd Bertuzzi is a good comparison for Kassian: more playmaker than scorer and doesn't always play a physical mean game.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Tue May 01, 2012 5:59 am

I heard the Bertuzzi comparison as well, but Zack doesn't quite have the skill set that 44 had. That said I think he will be more consistant with his physical play. Time will tell, though some on this board expected the 2nd coming of Cam Neely immediately.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Postby CrzyCanuck » Tue May 01, 2012 6:07 am

Bert didn't really flourish until the age of 25 or so. Kass got plenty of time to develop. Perhaps his hands will never be as great as Bert, but his physical play and defence? should be better.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
CrzyCanuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby the Dogsalmon » Tue May 01, 2012 8:47 am

CrzyCanuck wrote:Bert didn't really flourish until the age of 25 or so. Kass got plenty of time to develop. Perhaps his hands will never be as great as Bert, but his physical play and defence? should be better.

Kassian will be just as good as Bert as long as we allow him to play an regular shift and develop his skills...it will start with the dismissal of AV...
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat