2012 UFAs

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: 2012 UFAs

Post by Strangelove »

tantalum wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Well personally I like Bieksa a lot.

Also he's a valuable team leader imo.

Also he plays the right side.

Would I trade him if I had to in order to land a true BEAST?

Indubitably.
I like him as well despite my criticism of some of his tendencies and he is a great team guy.

Personally I don't like to move either Edler or Bieksa and they wouldn't have to from a cap position if Ballard, Raymond and Luongo are gone. The question really is do they have the assets without one of those guys to get that Beast? Likely not though the goaltender return may change things...
It's possible Tant.

After screaming for BEAST for the past two years i don't care who they trade to get him anymore. :hmmm:
____
Try to focus on someday.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Strangelove wrote:And wot if a Lou + Edler deal would bring back Hedman??

After you finished eating your hat, would you be a happy camper? :D

Yes I hope they sign Schultz, but I highly doubt he replaces Edler's offense.

You are one of the few Canuck fans who agrees with me about Schenn.

Schenn + Edler would make a nice 2nd pairing.

Schenn's value is prolly as low as it will ever be.

Lou + 1st for Schenn + 5th overall?? 8-)
I'd probably rather end up with Edler and Schenn (and something) than just Hedman - although obviously Hedman's potential is incredible, even if he's not as mean as you'd probably like.

As an added bonus, with no other changes we'd have a player capable of some genuine nastiness on each pairing (Bieksa, Schenn, Ballard).
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote: I'd probably rather end up with Edler and Schenn (and something) than just Hedman - although obviously Hedman's potential is incredible, even if he's not as mean as you'd probably like.
Oh I'd settle for Hedman.

Lou + Edler for Hedman + Detroit's 1st?

(I'm only suggesting these trades because you said you'd eat your hat on that other site) ;)
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Orcasfan wrote:I realize that we are all suffering from post-playoff depression still, but to have people seriously suggest that we trade Edler is just mind-boggling! :shock: He just turned 26, he scored 49 points...in his "off" year. He plays in all situations; he is a key on the PP, and someone wants him gone. Unbelievable! Yes, he has his deficiencies - who doesn't (even St Weber!). Like most of the team, his play deteriorated in the 2nd half of the season, and culminated in a difficult playoff series. But, in the guy's defense, he played with an assortment of D partners, none of whom really jelled. One problem was that the so-called shut-down pair of Hamhuis and Bieksa was much less effective this year. So, AV was forced to mix and match to try and create a new shut-down pair. Didn't really happen. :(

Given the prices out there for quality D men, Alex Edler is a bargain. I believe that he will put the last few months behind him and have a real career year next season (his contract year). No way will he get traded!

I think the real challenge for the organization is what to do about Bieksa and Hamhuis as a pair. Will they slip back into their "groove" next year, or not? If not (again), then who becomes the shut-downers? :hmmm:
I mostly agree with you on Edler - if the PP had been better, he could very well have been a 60-point dman. That being said, I don't agree that he's immovable. He can't move unless its part of a package to upgrade the D though. I would not want to see a top 4 of Hamuis, Bieksa, Ballard and Tanev (I guess?).

I don't agree with you on Hamhuis-Bieksa this year. Hamhuis IMO was our #1 dman for the entire year, he had a huge offensive year and was still solid. They were fine until they were split up, which is something I didn't understand.

The Canucks allowed .13 goals/game more this year than last. The bigger difference was the .21 fewer goals for/game. The issue from January on was offense and powerplay, not defense and PK.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Strangelove wrote:
dbr wrote: I'd probably rather end up with Edler and Schenn (and something) than just Hedman - although obviously Hedman's potential is incredible, even if he's not as mean as you'd probably like.

(I'm only suggesting these trades because you said you'd eat your hat on that other site) ;)
Ha ha. I wouldn't do it if I was Yzerman, I'll say that - Tampa is a budget team like it or not, and Hedman plus a supporting cast plus a decent goaltender is probably much cheaper than six defensemen good enough to make the goaltender not matter.

(Nevermind that Hedman represents what the Bolts earned through a year of suffering during the Lawton/Koules era..)
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote:
SKYO wrote:Alex Semin could be our answer in trying to find a scoring machine who can also snipe some goals after Danny. Could be our version of the Hossa acquisition by the Pens'/Wings/Hawks. I'd rather MG go balls out in trying to land this guy, as Parise will be paid insane amounts of cash.
Is this the same Alex Semin of whom former teammates have said he has the skills but he just doesn't seem to want to put in the effort? :look:

Hell no.
Like we have the talent to say to no to AS - whom has 3 goals in 7 games in these playoffs...OR do you prefer the Raymonds and Booth's in these playoffs.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:
Mëds wrote:
SKYO wrote:Alex Semin could be our answer in trying to find a scoring machine who can also snipe some goals after Danny. Could be our version of the Hossa acquisition by the Pens'/Wings/Hawks. I'd rather MG go balls out in trying to land this guy, as Parise will be paid insane amounts of cash.
Is this the same Alex Semin of whom former teammates have said he has the skills but he just doesn't seem to want to put in the effort? :look:

Hell no.
Like we have the talent to say to no to AS - whom has 3 goals in 7 games in these playoffs...OR do you prefer the Raymonds and Booth's in these playoffs.
Well considering that neither Raymond nor Booth are in the same class talent-wise as Semin, it is a moot point.

We have multiple playoff no-shows, adding a guy who will cost at least $5.5+M but will only show up for 30 games a year.....pass. At least Raymond and Booth put in the effort.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote: Well considering that neither Raymond nor Booth are in the same class talent-wise as Semin, it is a moot point.

We have multiple playoff no-shows, adding a guy who will cost at least $5.5+M but will only show up for 30 games a year.....pass. At least Raymond and Booth put in the effort.
Not a moot point, I'd gladly get rid of Ray and Booth for Alex Semin for which we can probably can sign him cheaper than both Ray/Booth combined, enabling us to make our 3rd/4th lines much more stronger offensively, consequently it will help us in a 4 game series as even LA's 4th line dominated us a lot as it had grit/skill which we could not match.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

dbr wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

Ha ha. I wouldn't do it if I was Yzerman, I'll say that - Tampa is a budget team like it or not, and Hedman plus a supporting cast plus a decent goaltender is probably much cheaper than six defensemen good enough to make the goaltender not matter.

(Nevermind that Hedman represents what the Bolts earned through a year of suffering during the Lawton/Koules era..)
I don't think Hedman plus a supporting cast that would be cheaper than Luongo + Edler would nullify the need for a goaltender with some skill. It sure didn't make a difference this year. Tampa was one of only 2 teams in the top 10 for GF that finished with a negative differential, and theirs was -13 more than the next team (Toronto). Getting a goaltender who is going to shut things down and keep the puck out is paramount for the Bolts going into the off-season. Roloson is done, and this year he wasn't the answer anyhow. Adding a guy like Luongo and replacing Hedman on the blueline with Edler is a step up for Yzerman and the Lightning. Yes, Hedman will likely be a better guy than Edler on the blueline in a couple of years, right now it's close, Edler is 4 years older than Hedman and was our leading shot blocker and second hitter on the blueline, Tampa would instantly be a better team with the addition of both him and Luongo. Vancouver would be a better team with the addition of Hedman.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:
Mëds wrote: Well considering that neither Raymond nor Booth are in the same class talent-wise as Semin, it is a moot point.

Not a moot point, I'd gladly get rid of Ray and Booth for Alex Semin for which we can probably can sign him cheaper than both Ray/Booth combined, enabling us to make our 3rd/4th lines much more stronger offensively, consequently it will help us in a 4 game series as even LA's 4th line dominated us a lot as it had grit/skill which we could not match.
So you would put Alex "What's Defense" Semin on the 3rd or 4th line? The guy doesn't hit, he doesn't block shots, and you want him in the bottom 6?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote:
SKYO wrote:

So you would put Alex "What's Defense" Semin on the 3rd or 4th line? The guy doesn't hit, he doesn't block shots, and you want him in the bottom 6?
Right do I have to explain that we'd give away Ballard for chump change?
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Strangelove wrote:

I seriously doubt that MG would trade Edler, nor would those teams give up Weber or Hedman in a trade.
It doesn't seem like Suter would want to move to Canada, assuming that he gets to UFA at all

And if you listen to MG he wants more offence, so he's not going to want to give up Edler for a defensive D-man
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

herb wrote:My dman wish list is:
- Wideman (Solid two-way defenseman. Has to be the top guy on a lot of GM's summer wish lists)
- Garrison (Ehrhoff lite, or heavy depending on how much stock you put into his numbers this year. One hit wonder?)
- Barrett Jackman (bad ass mofo IMO, and a BC boy to boot)
Any 2 of these 3 would be great in my opinion.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Barrat Jackassman would be nice here, but I think I prefer someone with more muscle and size. I'd go for for Big Bad Bryan Allen first.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Barrat Jackassman would be nice here, but I think I prefer someone with more muscle and size. I'd go for for Big Bad Bryan Allen first.
:?

Barret Jackman is a mean fucking beast. If it's muscle and size you want, he's your guy. Allen would be great as well.