Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby dbr » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:49 pm

Oh don't get me wrong - I'd rather have it than not have it.

But when making Manny Malhotra the world's most expensive assistant coach has more salary cap ramifications than trading away a(n alleged) franchise goaltender does, well.. you know.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ODB » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:49 pm

dbr wrote: At this point I'd say the Oilers are a safe bet to be better than the Florida Panthers if they don't fuck it up somehow.

I can't argue with that dbr. I suppose anything could happen and someone could fuck the Oilers up. Based on prospects in the pipeline I agree that Florida is loaded! Jonathan Huberdeau, C, Jacob Markstrom, G, Nick Bjugstad, C, Quinton Howden, LW, Colby Robak, D, Alex Petrovic, D, Drew Shore, C. They too will be a very good team in the not so distant future.

Makes our prospect pool and future look pretty bleak. :cry:

But of course, prospects suffer when you're winning presidents trophies chasing the mug! :thumbs:
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Strangelove » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:00 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Making us a player in the July 1st UFA season is what is what we will get in return for Lou.

Hmmm not sure if this year's UFA market is where we wanna go to get wot we need.

But if it were we could flush Manny, MayRay, Ballard.....
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby ODB » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:01 pm

ukcanuck wrote:That would be the logical thinking, but critically thinking how many of Edmonton's first round picks have turned into Calder trophies? or candidates for that matter? the Nuge this year but otherwise? mayhaps they picked incorrectly?

Dude the Calder doesnt mean jack shit!

Myers won the Calder over Stamkos, Doughty, Pietrangelo and Eberle!

Mason won the Calder over Staal, Toews and Backstrom.

I'm sure I could go back years and give examples... The fact Skinner won over Seguin and Hall means NOTHING....
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dbr » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:03 pm

We'll see what happens I guess. A lot of teams draft a lot of highly-touted players and never make the jump to contender - as such I don't see why the Canucks should be selling the farm because we've got a team in the division that might make that jump a few years down the line.

(At least the Panthers are building from the net out, the Oilers will be in tough to backfill those crucial spots behind RNH, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov.. especially in the West where defense is crucial.)

Mike Gillis is going to have to earn his paycheques keeping this Canucks team at the top of the league but if you look at the standings from year to year a few GMs find a way to do it. If Gillis isn't that guy then we're fucked.. but right now I think he could be.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby RoyalDude » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:07 pm

donlever wrote:
dbr wrote:
Is a million-and-change really going to dramatically alter what the Canucks can do in the UFA market given the ridiculous amount of cap space floating around and the mediocre group of players (with roughly two exceptions) available?

You make a solid point but if you are humming and hawing about taking on a 7 mill guy (Weber lets say...just for shits and giggles) when you have 5.5 left (budget wise not real dollars wise) that 1.2 looks pretty fuking good in the bank right about then.

Exactly Leves, when you are pushed up against the cap, it's a game of inches, creating a little more wiggle room to put us in contention for some of the bigger UFA names is exactly what we need. I just wish we could somehow get rid of those two contracts in Booth and Ballard, or at least one of them. We just ain't getting the return in those contracts. Something to consider, Jensen or Schroeder could be Raymonds cheaper replacement this year.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby RoyalDude » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:10 pm

dbr wrote:We'll see what happens I guess. A lot of teams draft a lot of highly-touted players and never make the jump to contender - as such I don't see why the Canucks should be selling the farm because we've got a team in the division that might make that jump a few years down the line.

(At least the Panthers are building from the net out, the Oilers will be in tough to backfill those crucial spots behind RNH, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov.. especially in the West where defense is crucial.)

Mike Gillis is going to have to earn his paycheques keeping this Canucks team at the top of the league but if you look at the standings from year to year a few GMs find a way to do it. If Gillis isn't that guy then we're fucked.. but right now I think he could be.

I would say it's pretty much a given that the Oilers are going to be a fairly good team with Yak, RNH, Eberle and Hall on the same team. Like someone said earlier, don't be surprised seeing those 4 names in the top 15 scoring in the next year or two. Hell, if RNH and Hall didn't come down with injuries the Oilers could have had Eberle, Hall and RNH finish in the top 15 in scoring this year. It won't be difficult to attract players to Edmonton now, with those 4 kids playing there.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Island Nucklehead » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:15 pm

RoyalDude wrote:I guess what I am saying is Lance, we ain't getting a teams top young player unless we are trading Scneider. So people need to take Connolly, Gudbranson, Huberdeau etc. off of their WISH lists. Trust me, Luongos contract is a factor and teams will play poker with that. That and like u said the fact their are a boat load if goalie options this summer.

I agree, Dude. I do see the chances of us landing a high pick as pretty good. The Connolly's and Gudbranson's of the league (yes, these kids are playing in the NHL) are likely off limits for Luongo.

If Tampa is serious about winning toute-suite, that 10th overall pick is in play. Ditto for Toronto and the 5th overall.

The bonus for the Canucks is that trading Luongo doesn't really create a positional void like trading Kesler or Edler. There is already a guy in the wings ready to take a starting role. We could, in reality, afford to trade Luongo for futures (draft choices), and go to the FA market to bolster our lineup elsewhere.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:32 pm

RoyalDude wrote:I guess what I am saying is Lance, we ain't getting a teams top young player unless we are trading Scneider. So people need to take Connolly, Gudbranson, Huberdeau etc. off of their WISH lists. Trust me, Luongos contract is a factor and teams will play poker with that. That and like u said the fact their are a boat load if goalie options this summer.

Lou's contract is perfect for a cap-max team: $5.33mil cap-hit for each of the next 6 seasons, then he retires at 39.

That's a friendly cap-hit for a top proven goaltender.

Don't listen to the hacks out there, they were saying the Jackets would have to take a bad contract back on Carter.

Well they got back Jack Johnson and a 1st. :scowl:

A great player on a big contract is ALWAYS a big plus.

It's the market and the law of supply & demand that sets the price.

The only problem is IF Lou is the one they move they would be limited to a "list".
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Orcasfan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:20 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
dbr wrote:We'll see what happens I guess. A lot of teams draft a lot of highly-touted players and never make the jump to contender - as such I don't see why the Canucks should be selling the farm because we've got a team in the division that might make that jump a few years down the line.

I would say it's pretty much a given that the Oilers are going to be a fairly good team with Yak, RNH, Eberle and Hall on the same team. Like someone said earlier, don't be surprised seeing those 4 names in the top 15 scoring in the next year or two. Hell, if RNH and Hall didn't come down with injuries the Oilers could have had Eberle, Hall and RNH finish in the top 15 in scoring this year. It won't be difficult to attract players to Edmonton now, with those 4 kids playing there.

I don't think it's a given! The Oilers are far from having a playoff-contending team. How much patience is left in that fan-base (and locker room!) with another losing season or two? :hmmm: I think Tambo is on a short fuse. He needs to start producing results in the near future, or bye-bye! The only way he can shore up his D and goal is by trading some assets! And they are going to have to be some of his young guns. The rest of the roster is not worth much. So, it's still in flux as far as I'm concerned. And what happens if he's given the hook? How often have we seen a new GM screw things up?

And, what about coaching? If they don't get the right coach in place soon, that could set them back some. All in all, I think Tambo needs to have a great off-season to give his club a fair chance.
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Postby tantalum » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:53 pm

I hear that Friedman is talking about a saturated market because Thomas and KIprusoff might go on it. I'm not sure I agree. Thomas and Kirprusoff are likely short term fixes...likely extremely short term. They aren't a long term fix and unless a team that wants a long term fix misses out on Luongo/Schneider they won't be considered. Teams that are early in a rebuild like COlumbus may love the thought of a Schneider but given his soon to be UFA status may be better off looking towards Bernier.

So when I look at things and see teams that were rumoured to be interested in Schneider, teams like Tampa,Toronto, Washignton etc I can't see how they wouldn't be interested in Luongo. They may need to wrap their heads around things a bit more having concentrated on what it might take to get Schneider but they'll come around. THey have to.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Potatoe1 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:15 pm

ODB wrote:
Totally disagree... They haven't been able to attract free agents because they've been sucking monkey ass for years.

That and the fact that the city sucks monkey ass as well.

NHL players URFA's are almost always married and like it or not, chicks don't want to live in fucking Edmonton.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Edmonton, the city, sucks monkey ass?

Postby Farhan Lalji » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:24 pm

But guys? Don't you get it? Edmonton has West Edmonton Mall! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps if the Oilers really are serious about building a contender, they'll need to focus hardcore on the young'uns. Bringing in veteran homosexual role players may also help. "role players". :oops:
Farhan Lalji

Re: Edmonton, the city, sucks monkey ass?

Postby herb » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:02 pm

Farhan Lalji wrote:But guys? Don't you get it? Edmonton has West Edmonton Mall! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps if the Oilers really are serious about building a contender, they'll need to focus hardcore on the young'uns. Bringing in veteran homosexual role players may also help. "role players". :oops:

Oh no you di'nt
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Edmonton, the city, sucks monkey ass?

Postby Farhan Lalji » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:06 pm

herb wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:But guys? Don't you get it? Edmonton has West Edmonton Mall! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh no you di'nt

Veteran role players that are willing to go to the dirty areas during "crunch time." :drink:
Farhan Lalji

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat