From Bountiful to Ponoka

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Post by BCExpat »

Southern_Canuck wrote:I find the happenings around the Flames pretty funny - anyone else?

Brent Sutter is "parting ways" with the Flames - that's oh so... feminine. :)

No "firing" or "failing" to make the playoffs there...

And they kept Hartsburg! Ladies and Gemtlemen, (I'm guessing) your next coach of the Calgary Flames!!!!

Oh Flames - please continue to muddle your way to 17th place finishes for the immediate and long term future.

S_C
Feaster said that the new coach will decide if Hartsburg is retained. That doesn't sound like Hartsburg is the Flames next coach. It really doesn't matter anyway - when they are rebuilding, they won't be competitive no matter who is coaching.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Sutter isn't the problem there. It's the lack of a number one centre, a number one d -man and little young talent coming up.

The Flames can live without the young guys coming up as Vancouver doesn't exactly have a booming pipeline of youth themselves. Where these teams differ is that Calgary has two guys in their mid 30's who are their best players and little else. They have a heartless guy in Boumeester eating up damn near 7 mill in cap space. A good player in Cammalleri who is overpaid by a million but still he brings it most nights. Some decent pieces in Giordano and Glencross.....but where are their young guys between 24-29 who can make a difference?

Where is the Ryan Kesler, Cory Schneider, Alex Edler ???? There is a generation gap between the old guys and the young guys there and thye need to start harvesting some young talent that can play. I am not sure Jay Feaster is the guy to lead that team out of the wilderness. They should fire his fat ass and hire Ron Hextall.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

One more interesting tidbit:

According to one of the hosts of 960, the reason why *he* personally dislikes the Canucks (and feels that many Albertans feel the same way), is because Vancouver is supposedly hypersensitive about the team and the city.

The hosts feels that even when the team/city is not being insulted, fans/residents can get ticked off. He cited the following example:

Person: Montreal is a beautiful city.

Vancouver guy: Oh yeah but have you seen Vancouver?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Person A: St. Louis is a dangerous team and could come out of the west.

Vancouver: Oh yeah but have you seen Vancouver? Have you? Have you?

:roll:

According to this particular host, most Vancouverites are hypersensitive and have some kind of inferiority complex.

Another interesting thing to note: The hosts here on 960 talk about the Canucks almost as much as they do about the destruction of the Flames. These guys REALLY want the Canucks to crash and burn. It's unbelievable. :|
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Sutter isn't the problem there. It's the lack of a number one centre, a number one d -man and little young talent coming up.

The Flames can live without the young guys coming up as Vancouver doesn't exactly have a booming pipeline of youth themselves. Where these teams differ is that Calgary has two guys in their mid 30's who are their best players and little else. They have a heartless guy in Boumeester eating up damn near 7 mill in cap space. A good player in Cammalleri who is overpaid by a million but still he brings it most nights. Some decent pieces in Giordano and Glencross.....but where are their young guys between 24-29 who can make a difference?

Where is the Ryan Kesler, Cory Schneider, Alex Edler ???? There is a generation gap between the old guys and the young guys there and thye need to start harvesting some young talent that can play. I am not sure Jay Feaster is the guy to lead that team out of the wilderness. They should fire his fat ass and hire Ron Hextall.
For the record, I don't think Sutter is totally to blame here. I agree, that the team personnel need to be changed. What worries me is that Sutter was all for a re-build. He parted ways with the Flames, because Feaster wasn't in agreement with Sutter. As a Flames fan, that's not good news. I want change, but I have a feeling that the changes won't be drastic enough.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

BCExpat wrote: I want change, but I have a feeling that the changes won't be drastic enough.
As long as Feaster is the GM, big a re-build isn't happening.

He's never been a draft and development guy, and his end of year press conference re-enforced it. He more or less downplayed the importance of high draft picks, and went on to say teams can be built through trades and free-agency.

This is how Feaster manages, and if ownership doesn't want a re-build, then he's their guy.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

coco_canuck wrote:
BCExpat wrote: I want change, but I have a feeling that the changes won't be drastic enough.
As long as Feaster is the GM, big a re-build isn't happening.

He's never been a draft and development guy, and his end of year press conference re-enforced it. He more or less downplayed the importance of high draft picks, and went on to say teams can be built through trades and free-agency.

This is how Feaster manages, and if ownership doesn't want a re-build, then he's their guy.
Agree 100 % here. Feaster didn't draft or develop any of the players who were intrumental in Tampa's run. Other than aquiring Khabibulin most of the changes he made were of the cosmetic variety and his drafting record looks pretty weak over the years as well.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Now Luongo is a god and the Canucks fans are turning on him.

Between Don Cherry and Calpuck......full of awesomeness.

Assholes booted Hairy Kneel off the message board. :? Not allowed to argue with the mongoloids was the message I recieved.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Now Luongo is a god and the Canucks fans are turning on him.

Assholes booted Hairy Kneel off the message board. :? Not allowed to argue with the mongoloids was the message I recieved.
Been kicked off calpuke and boston hf board for the same reason.I had the nerve to question Thomas's honesty
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Now Luongo is a god and the Canucks fans are turning on him.

I can't believe the bullshit and ignorance that is spewed over there and on 960 the Fan (Alberta's version of Team 1040).

They make it sound like the mass majority of Canuck fans and Management are blaming Luongo for the loss this year, and that Luongo is a victim of abuse. Utter rubbish.

Most Albertans are also significantly underestimating Luongo's ability to play in big games. Lou has his warts obviously, but thee guy still got 2 shuts out during the Cup finals. He also played extremely well during almost all of the games against Nashville and San Jose, along with 3 of the games against Chicago.

Luongo, for all his baggage and all his warts, is still about as 90% as good as Schneider in my opinion.
Waffle
CC Veteran

Post by Waffle »

Interesting article referring to the Flames, but with some relevance to the Luongo/Scheider trade value debate:

Rebuilding NHL teams vs. the endowment effect

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu ... 51219.html
Farhan Lalji

Flame fans' problem with Canuck fans (most)

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Apparently, most Flame fans have a problem with Canuck fans for the following: (According to 960 "The Fan").

1) Canuck fans chanting "Lou" for the most routine saves.

2) Vancouverites being oversensitive? For instance - if a random person says, "Seattle is a beautiful West coast city", a Vancouverite will be automatically inclined to say, "well so is Vancouver."

960 "The Fan" is a real piece of work, lol. They bash the Canucks almost as much as they bash/criticise the Flames. Thankfully - since the playoffs ended for us, they haven't been doing it as much..........although they still go out of their way to mention that we lost to the Kings on a number of occasions.

FYI - I'm pretty sure if the Flames had Lou, or someone else with a chantable name, they would do the exact same thing.

I'm also willing to bet that if some praised Edmonton, Lethbridge, or Medicine Hat for being a "lovely Albertan city", a majority of Calgarians would pipe up and say, "well yeah, so is Calgary."

Bottom line? Their criticism of Vancouver is again, completely unwarranted..........and it concerns me as a Canadian that these guys are spewing this much disdain/venom/propanda towards a fellow Canadian city.

What concerns me even moreso is that I think Calgarians have reached a level where they aren't just bashing Vancouver out of a healthy sports rivalry. I think these guys, for the most part, genuinely despise the city of Vancouver, it's people, and it's way of life.......which I think is quite sad. Hate in general is not healthy, but hatred towards a fellow compatriot is even worse.

I hope that I am wrong and that perhaps on some level, there is more respect for Vancouverites and British Columbians than what most Calgarians lead on. Just really disgusting stuff.

p.s._____________On a slightly lighter note, the people here in Southern Alberta can't stand the Calgary Stampeders! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: These guys, for the most part, are hardcore Saskatchewan Roughrider fans and absolutely love it when the Stamps get killed. They even cheer on the BC Lions when they go up against the Stamps.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

I checked Calpuke this morning to see if the idiots over there were applauding Burrows injury this morning. Much to my surprise there was nothing, although maybe it has more to do with the fact that most of those fucking tards can't read.
It really is kind of pathetic how they live vicariously through the Canucks miseries.For me I really dont give a shit what they say. I just consider the source.
Last edited by okcanuck on Fri May 04, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donlever
CC Legend

Re: Flame fans' problem with Canuck fans (most)

Post by donlever »

Farhan Lalji wrote: What concerns me even moreso
..this concerns you?

They're from Calgary, nuff said.

I'd be more concerned that you feel the need to report on it every other week.

:P
DeLevering since 1999.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

donlever wrote:

Point taken, lol, but I just can't get over it.

In the late 80's for instance when our mouths were being used as semen drop-offs from both the Oilers and Flames, I can't recall US hating on them that much. Even in the late 90's when we were rebuilding, and then in the mid 00's when both the Flames and Oilers made their respective cup runs, I can't think of a single time where our media insulted Albertan's on such a personal level. Sure - we took jabs at them (the type of jabs expected in a healthy sporting rivalry), but it's not like CKNW 980 and Team 1040 spent a large part of their day absolutely ripping on them.

I just don't understand it? :?

I guess I just feel the need to report it every day, because when I take my long drives to different areas down here, I'm always tuned into 960. It is both interesting and yet sickening to hear the media and fans here have so many misconceptions about the Canucks, the city of Vancouver, and pretty much everything about us.

Thankfully, the Jim Rome show saves my day, lol.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
donlever wrote:

Point taken, lol, but I just can't get over it.

In the late 80's for instance when our mouths were being used as semen drop-offs from both the Oilers and Flames, I can't recall US hating on them that much. Even in the late 90's when we were rebuilding, and then in the mid 00's when both the Flames and Oilers made their respective cup runs, I can't think of a single time where our media insulted Albertan's on such a personal level. Sure - we took jabs at them (the type of jabs expected in a healthy sporting rivalry), but it's not like CKNW 980 and Team 1040 spent a large part of their day absolutely ripping on them.

I just don't understand it? :?

I guess I just feel the need to report it every day, because when I take my long drives to different areas down here, I'm always tuned into 960. It is both interesting and yet sickening to hear the media and fans here have so many misconceptions about the Canucks, the city of Vancouver, and pretty much everything about us.

Thankfully, the Jim Rome show saves my day, lol.
You can thanks, Facebook, Twitter 24/7 sports stations and other modern media services. With all the ways to gather and report on stuff even people from Calgary can figure it out. The hate gets calls in and that is what sells their advertisment.