Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Waerloza
AHL Prospect

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by Waerloza »

Rede wrote:Well, eliminating teams where Lou wouldn't go or have no need for goaltending...

NYR
BOS
FLA
PIT
PHI
NJD
WSH
OTT
BUF
TBL
WPG
CAR
TOR
NYI
MTL

So, pick two more of the above I guess...
You'd have to imagine that Washington is now set with Holtby and Neuvirth. Philly gave a monster deal to Bryzgalov, so we'd be taking back a contract. I still don't see the Penguins pulling the plug on Fleury. Jersey is in a cap bind if I recall, but it's late and I might be mistaken in that.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Rede wrote:Well, eliminating teams where Lou wouldn't go or have no need for goaltending...

NYR
BOS
FLA
PIT
PHI
NJD
WSH
OTT
BUF
TBL
WPG
CAR
TOR
NYI
MTL

So, pick two more of the above I guess...
It'll be Toronto or Tampa that pulls the trigger. I can't see Gillis trading him to any team that won't instantly benefit from his presence in the net, and both of those teams fit the bill. If Brodeur hangs 'em up in New Jersey then there is a possibility he fits there as their cap hits are similar if I'm not mistaken. It would almost ironic if he ended up going back to the Panthers, but I think that his list is going to be limited to teams that can contend for the Cup with him in net. If the rumors are true about Toronto, well that's probably because it's allegedly the center of the hockey universe.

Anderson has been great in Ottawa, I can't see them making a move for Luongo.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Hockey Widow wrote: I think MG will do whatever is the best moving forward. If trading Cory gives him a home run then ya I think he does it. But I also think Luongo has a higher trade value than some people think. Bottom line is that, unless ownership gets involved and shows a distinct preference either way, MG will weigh all options.

With Luongo coming out on the trade issue the way he did, he removed a shot gun from MG's head.
HW, have you heard anything as to who MG prefers? My guess is that MG thinks Schneider is the better goalie.

I'm of the opinion that goaltending is an important position and MG should keep whom he thinks is the best goalie option going forward regardless of whether MG can get more by trading one goalie over the other.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

The Caps aren't set with Holtby and Neuvirth. There is a reason they were #2 and #3 on the depth chart (and neither was spectacular in their roles)a. If the caps makes the mistake of a good series equalling good starter for 65 games they'll be stuck with the goaltending dilemmas the Flyers have had for years. The caps still need goaltending help next season.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Nick Kypreos ‏ @RealKyper
#SNPlayoffs #Canucks Luongo asks for trade. Van didn't even need to ask him to waive NTC. He tells them himself in exit meeting he wants out
So with an apparent four team list and now news that Luongo has requested a trade does what we can expect as far as return goes diminish slightly?
2011..... the one that got away.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

tantalum wrote:If the caps makes the mistake of a good series equalling good starter for 65 games they'll be stuck with the goaltending dilemmas the Flyers have had for years.
Ironic isn't it? The way I see it the Canucks could be on the verge of doing the same thing.

I personally can't wait until next October when the Canucks get off to their usual slow start. I'm intrigued to see what happens when we don't Luongo here to play lights out in November. I know one thing, shits is gonna real interesting if Schneider falters at all. The pressure will mount like nothing he's experienced in his playing career. Trade Luongo and keep Schneider... in this market! LOL, Cory be sweeting bullets.

Another thing everyone should keep in mind.

With 68 NHL starts under his belt teams haven't even scouted Schneider. The book is definitely NOT out on Cory! Our opponents have always prepped for Luongo. With Lou gone teams will focus on exposing Schneider. Most here seem to just assume Schneider is going to slide in without any bumps and bruises. I don't think this is going to be the case at all. Keep Luongo and continue pushing for a championship!!! The window is closing.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Nick Kypreos ‏ @RealKyper
#SNPlayoffs #Canucks Luongo asks for trade. Van didn't even need to ask him to waive NTC. He tells them himself in exit meeting he wants out
So with an apparent four team list and now news that Luongo has requested a trade does what we can expect as far as return goes diminish slightly?
Shocking... Gills had a horrible year didn't he?

Lost Ehrhoff and didn't adress replacing him
Lost Hodgson do to his coach’s treatment of his top prospect
Signs Sterm in the offseason
Trades Samuelsson for Booth (forget the fact Samuelsson has 4pts in the playoffs. booth has three years remaining at 4.2m)
Allows his inept coach to create a goaltending controversy

Can anyone out there tell me anything that Gillis did right this year? (EDIT TO ADD, it goes beyond this year. He fucked the pootch on the Grabner deal also. The last good move I remember Gillis making was Ehrhoff)

Now rumor is Luongo wants out (good job guys) and we're expected to believe we're going to challenge for a cup with a rookie goalie! I'm not drinking that fucking kool-aid!

What a way to fuck things up after going to game 7 in the finals!

I'm having less and less confidence Gillis can get this done! If I'm Aqua-man I'm tempted to reach out to Luongo personally. Send Gillis and AV packing if necessary!
Last edited by ODB on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

No surprise, Luongo's family issues are at the heart of his desire to return to the East. He wants a fresh start in a city where he has a chance to reconcile with his wife and with a team he can be the true number one on and hopefully that team will be a playoff bound team.

As to who the Canucks prefer to keep, I think it is Cory. Have I told you that they absolutely love this kid? :D

If the Canucks had come out and said that Luongo is their number one and will be for the foreseeable future then perhaps Luongo may think twice about leaving. But with his personal issues I dunno. So I think it is a combination of things for him. If the family situation was stable I think he would be fine staying here if the Canucks traded Cory but he knows they covet the guy and with everything that has gone on for him personally, to being booed and being replace in the playoffs I think he sees the writing on the wall and is ready to move on.

I stand by what I was told about deadline day. The Canucks were talking trade to at least two teams and the subject was Luongo. I believe one was Tampa but I don't know who the other team was. The Canucks were, for the right reasons, very reluctant to move either goalie before the season was over and it is doubtful Luongo would have waived his NTC on deadline day but it was discussed.

I have in fact been told that Luongo wanted to return to the East was made known to the Canucks before the deadline day. This is why I said that if a deal was there it may have happened but so many other things would have had to happen first.

I think the Canucks covet Cory and see him as their goalie for the next 10+ years. They want him that badly. I also think they feel Luongo's time here is up and he is better served to move on for all the reasons discussed.

I am also hearing rumblings that ownership will weigh in next week and that their preference is to move Luongo and keep Cory. But the Water Boy has not been known to make direct demands just strong suggestions, i.e., trade the farm for Richards. The last guy that didn't take the hint was let go.

So what do I think happens? The Canucks will explore trading Luongo with the teams on his list. They will sit down with Cory and see if he wants to sign on long term. If Cory says yes, sign me up for 5-6 years, then the Canucks will assess everything and move from there. But if the return for Luongo is shit and if ownership does not get involved then Cory will be the one to move, unless Luongo's request to be traded is dead serious I need/want to move to the East.

Clearly we now know one will be dealt and the idea of keeping both is a fantasy. They both want to be the number one and paid like it.

If you look at what is being demanded for Nash then I think Luongo should get us a roster player, a prospect and a high draft pick. He could go to Tampa and win them a cup. In Toronto he could lead them to their first playoffs in 1 million years.He is the type of player that is a franchise player.
The only HW the Canucks need
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Sorry to make you puke up your breakfast donny, but Luongo goes to TO they'll be my eastern team.

But don't lose any sleep over it; he's going to Tampa.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Good analysis HW. Its a little out of step with what I'm reading on TSN and Sportsnet where they are saying Lou won't get us anything but a salary dump and the rail on and on about the length of the contract and whatnot.

I think Lou has value but I guess the ultimate question is how much.
Last edited by wafflecombine on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:Sorry to make you puke up your breakfast donny, but Luongo goes to TO they'll be my eastern team.
:crazy:

Did I ever mention that I was always the best?
DeLevering since 1999.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

it all comes down to the fact that Lou's wife is a cunt who mentally fucked him...and possibly us in the long run...
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:Sorry to make you puke up your breakfast donny, but Luongo goes to TO they'll be my eastern team.

But don't lose any sleep over it; he's going to Tampa.

even though i think Toronto is a sez pool...i have to agree with you Eddy!
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

donlever wrote:
:crazy:

Did I ever mention that I was always the best?
Simply the best.

Better than all the rest.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

ODB wrote:I know one thing, shits is gonna real interesting if Schneider falters at all.
Yup

Schneids has been GREAT, but still has just 38 regular season wins, and 1 playoff win to his name.

Succeeding as a number 1, in a market that is expecting a cup, with a potential backup that has never played an NHL game (Lack), is no small challenge.

The Canucks have two great goalies and are really going to have to compare the return they could get for each guy. If one goalie fetches you an overwhelming better return than the other I think you have to pull the trigger on that deal regardless of who it is. If the returns are pretty equal, I'd say keeping Schneider is the riskier (not necessarily worse, but riskier) choice.

...but all of that aside, it's going to be impossible to move Luongo anyways...doesn't he make like 10 mil a year?