MG Post Season Comments

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: MG Post Season Comments

Post by ESQ »

Reefer2 wrote:last year this team was 1 win away from a SC, in the off season I believe majority of the fans wanted the team a little bigger and gritier (sp), instead they signed Booth as the only major addition because MG and AV thought the core could do it again but with different results if the players were healthy.
I'm not really clear what you're suggesting the "fans" wanted - are you saying the core should have been blown up in the off-season instead of just added to?

I listened to Dan Russell last night for the first time in ages (not by choice, it was just on in the gym), and man does that guy have an axe to grind. I find the contrast between the tone of this forum and the tone of the media to be particularly hilarious.

Part of Gillis' problem is that he treats the media like they're idiots, and they resent him personally for it. I certainly can't blame Gillis for feeling that way, as the media in this town are actually quite stupid. Russell implied over and over again that he's smarter than Gillis - sorry Dan, but no.
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan »

Mëds wrote:Hate the fact that he endorses Vigneault the way he does. Is he blind? Usually stats are telling and worth going on, but to hell with them this time, the guy can't adapt and get wins out of the deepest team in the league when they face a tough defense.
Do you think that this perception (deepest team in the league) might be just a little exaggerated? :look: I have heard this from the media pundits for months and I have always been skeptical of that claim. In what way is this team so deep? Is it scoring? Well, they were #1 on PP for a big chunk of the season. And they also were the highest scoring team in the West...But, do you think that playing 24 games in the weakest Division might have helped? Also, most of the other top teams in the West were not scoring machines! And how about those depth guys being able to slot into the top 6 or 9? Not really, eh? If they were, indeed, the deepest team, why did secondary scoring disappear in the 2nd half of the season? On that note, we can be grateful (again) for our high scoring D corps!

When I look hard at this team, the most troubling deficiencies are with the 2nd line. Neither Raymond nor Higgins are bone-fide 2nd line wingers. Kesler is not a great play-maker, but he has other qualities that allow him to be 2nd C. I am not sure what kind of player Booth can become, but he is worth keeping for another season, at least. They need a real 2nd line, scoring winger, who is preferably a great passer too. Of course, we have the ideal role model on our 1st line - Daniel! So, we need someone with the skill set of Daniel (no prob, right?).

And then there is the 3rd line...I am not a fan of keeping Pahlsson. He is just does not have enough offensive skill for that 3rd C. We really need a good two-way guy here. One of the problems with this year's roster was the lack of development of Cody in his defensive game. He was often a liability in his own zone (not strong enough on the boards). Because of that deficiency, they had to use Kesler much more in the shut-down role against opponent's top lines. That is exhausting - especially when he was trying to get back from injuries/surgeries in the off-season. Playing an average of 22 (tough) minutes/night would have been grueling in his condition. So, they need a 3rd C who can be relied on to shut down opponents, but also has some offensive flair. Preferably a young guy?
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Per wrote:Sedins will not attend the world championship. :cry:

They showed some interest, but after talking to Canucks management they said no. Guess they were given strict orders to take some time off and rest themselves into shape for next season. <_<

Btw, the puck drops on May 4th. Head on over to the World Championship thread and start posting!
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9090
Looks like management said no to Edler going as well. The title of the article I saw was "Vancouver Stoppar Edler"

Yep, I translated that one all by myself. 8-)
2011..... the one that got away.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Yeah, Gillis did kind of contradict himself. He said he liked his team to play and believes in an offensive system. However, at the trade deadline, he moved an offensive centre (Coho) and replaced him with basically a checking centre (Pahlsson).

U may be right with MayRay and I think Kes to a certain extent as well. With the injuries that those 2 had, it's really hard to come back @ a high lvl. The season was basically a write off for them. A long summer for them to heal and train might be the best thing for those 2. Their perfomance next season will give a better indication of what kind of player that they really are.

RoyalDude wrote:Can't stand Pahlsson, the need to have 3 defensive centres in Malhotra, Lappiere and Pahlsson makes no sense. You only need one, and that is on the 4th line. What happened to playing defense with offense like we used to.

I actually do like the potential of Kassian, I just thought the CoHo trade could have been held off to the off-season, I like Hansen and lo and behold I am willing to give Raymond the chance of having a proper off-season to train instead of jumping right into a season from a devestating back injury without a proper off-season training program, in which it seems like I am the only that understands why he can barely stand on his feet, if any of you have ever suffered back injuries you'd understand how weak your core strenght is.

Anyhow, shoot me if I like skill players, who play an intelligent puck possession game and can actually see where their teamates are on the ice and how to get them the puck. I can't stand Shut Down/Stone Hands/Brain Fart Hockey, where is the fucking excitement in that? Woo Hoo, yay, great checking!
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Just curious - what does it say about the Cody Hodgson camp that Mike Gillis traded him for a player with a deceased dad?
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

dbr wrote:Just curious - what does it say about the Cody Hodgson camp that Mike Gillis traded him for a player with a deceased dad?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
2011..... the one that got away.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

dbr wrote:Just curious - what does it say about the Cody Hodgson camp that Mike Gillis traded him for a player with a deceased dad?
Are you inferring less drama for Gillis?

Still amazed @ Gillis throwing Cody under the bus on that one.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I looked up the wiki on Chris Hodgson. He was a mining exec but came at it through being a realtor not an engineer or geologist. He has a BA (poli sci). Those types are never to be trusted. Just to show his lack of worth he was cabinet minister under the Harris government (mines) and was rumoured to be throwing his hat in for leadership when Harris resigned. That was just before his Ipperwash comments (after my own heart he is) became public.
Last edited by Topper on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

CFP! wrote:Are you inferring less drama for Gillis?
No I am implying it.
Yeah it's unlike what we've seen but if it's simply a statement of fact (and from the outside looking in I don't see much reason to believe it isn't true) then I wouldn't really characterize it as "throwing Cody under the bus" - Cody must know he (or those he allows to speak for him) is high maintenance, airing it in public may not be the traditional way of handling it but here we are.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

CFP! wrote:
Are you inferring less drama for Gillis?

I think GMMG did his best to not throw Cody under the bus. He explained on of the over riding reasons for moving Cody, "It became apparent Cody did not want to be here."

Throwing Cody under the bus would have entailed details of their conversations.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Strangelove wrote:A high second for Raymond! :lol:

You must be dreaming.

Sincerely,

- The Guy Who Just Added Nash and Weber to our Lineup

Er, the second rounder for Raymond was just me poking fun at myself, inside joke (smile).

After his season and playoff I don't think you could get much of anything for his rights.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Gillis didn't throw Hodgson under the bus. Hodgson's agent threw him under the bus way back at the time of the trade with his series of ill advised tweets that were then deleted because of how bad it made the Hodgson camp look. Ritchie boy also had a blog discussing how much time and effort he had spent building that relationship through several meetings etc etc etc. No one should have needed Gillis to say anything to know that it was a high maintenance relationship. All Gillis did was confirm things the Hodgson camp had already (accidentally) said. The Hodgson camp was positioning themselves for a summer move and Gillis pre-empted the trade request by making the deal.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Agree, CoHo created his own fate...when's the last time we had a certain high maintenance player? Sadly he finished his career in relative obscurity and bad knees but apparently has a chain of Sasha's RollerDerby Night Clubs all over Russia 8-)

I hope for a better outcome for poor Cody, but I fear he is Buffalo's problem now.... :mrgreen:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

To tell you the truth, I feel a little badly for Mike Gillis. He made the best decision with the info that he had at that point of time.

Heavy is the crown.

RE: Coho. You could tell from the tone of his voice that he is quite exasperated from talking about it and the truth is finally surfacing. The Coho camp was a serious pain in the ass to deal with and management/ownership wanted the kid out of the organization ASAP.

The unfortunate part was the bad intel on Zack Kassian. Whoever provided that intel shit the bed royally and needs to be fired. I'm absolutely serious about this. Anyone have any ideas who the Nuck scout is on the east coast?

RE: Pahlsson. Being able to get a legitimate 3rd line center (with a SC ring) for next to nothing is a win in my books. Good players thrive on good teams and Sami is a good player and the Canucks are a good team. I would offer Sami what he's getting paid right now (2.65) for another 2 years.

RE: Manny. Winning faceoffs is more important than ever in this age of NHL parity. Yes, Manny is an offensive hole that is paid on the high side. However, the salary cap is going up and he is not a detriment on the ice. Unless we have someone to replace Manny's high faceoff percentage, he sticks around for his last contract year. I think people really don't appreciate the value of being able to win that crucial defensive zone faceoff.

RE: MayRay. I would lowball MayRay on a 2 year contract. 2 years for 3.5. If that don't work, I would take him to arbitration. Get him for cheap and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

RE: UFAs. I didn't mind Bitz and Weise. I like Volpatti but his injury problems are such that you can't waste a roster spot for him. Bubye to Ebbett.

I'm done mourning this past season and am eagerly awaiting the next.
Hammond Aigs
AHL Prospect

Post by Hammond Aigs »

Quoate from yesterday's Friedman column:

"In the March 6 edition of this blog, I mentioned that Vancouver "targeted" a few players in a possible Cody Hodgson deal. Zack Kassian was one, obviously. I also noted Brandon Sutter, who the Carolina Hurricanes love, and made an educated guess at John Carlson (which appears to be true). Canucks GM Mike Gillis said Tuesday there were six players. According to a couple of sources, sounds like the fourth was Erik Gudbranson and the fifth Kyle Clifford. No. 6? Not sure."

B. Sutter C 6'3 183lbs (selected 11th in 2007)
J. Carlson D 6'3 212lbs (selected 27th in 2008)
E. Gudbranson D 6'4 195lbs (selected 3rd in 2010)
K. Clifford LW 6'2 208lbs (selected 35th in 2009)
Z. Kassian RW 6'3 214lbs (selected 13th in 2009)

C. Hodgson C 6'0 185lbs

Obviously, the common element is size (although you could say Brandon Sutter is light for a man of his height). If this is any guide to GMMG's draft thinking, Vancouver will be looking for a player with good wheels and the ability to grow into a large frame (just like everyone else?).