Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Legend

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by donlever »

Aaronp18 wrote: Sign and trade maybe, but there's no way we move one of our tenders to Jersey unless Parise is going to be here long term.
I don't think the op said anything about Luongo for Parise.
DeLevering since 1999.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Now that I've had some time to digest, I'm going to be very choked if Luongo blocks a trade to (for example) Columbus. If Lu ties the team's hands and Schneider ends up being the one moved leaving Lu as our default starter.....you thought the TEAM wanks were bad now, imagine what the media would do if that scenario played out.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

ESQ wrote:Now that I've had some time to digest, I'm going to be very choked if Luongo blocks a trade to (for example) Columbus. If Lu ties the team's hands and Schneider ends up being the one moved leaving Lu as our default starter.....you thought the TEAM wanks were bad now, imagine what the media would do if that scenario played out.
Isn't that the whole point of having a NTC in the first place? Seriously, what kind of hockey players would want to play in Columbus or Edmonton, except for money? Obviously, money is not an issue with Luongo because he still has 10 years left on his current contract.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

donlever wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote: Sign and trade maybe, but there's no way we move one of our tenders to Jersey unless Parise is going to be here long term.
No, but I suggested it.

donny, I'm confused...
2011..... the one that got away.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
donlever wrote:
No, but I suggested it.

donny, I'm confused...
aaron has a way of doing that to people
DeLevering since 1999.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Columbus has the 2nd overall pick and Nash. This is exactly why I say I'd move Schneider. A package could potentially land the Canucks both the pick and Nash!

Its fantasy shit here but?

Lou would never go to Columbus. Schneider has no choice and would likely get us a better return anyway.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

ODB wrote:Columbus has the 2nd overall pick and Nash. This is exactly why I say I'd move Schneider. A package could potentially land the Canucks both the pick and Nash!

Lou would never go to Columbus. Schneider has no choice and would likely get us a better return anyway.
If you p/u Nash, Luongo has to be moved. A package of Edler and Schieder is enticing but doesn't work cap wise right now. Notwithstanding Corys upcoming raise.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

^ As I said earlier, the only way we move Lou and land Nash is with a three way deal.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

CFP! wrote:
ODB wrote:Columbus has the 2nd overall pick and Nash. This is exactly why I say I'd move Schneider. A package could potentially land the Canucks both the pick and Nash!

If you p/u Nash, Luongo has to be moved. A package of Edler and Schieder is enticing but doesn't work cap wise right now. Notwithstanding Corys upcoming raise.
Exactly, if the Canucks pick up Nash, one of the $5m+ Canucks has to go. There are only four players making >= $5m, the Sedins, Luongo and Kesler. The Sedins are untouchable. If MG trades Kesler, the Canucks would need a second line centre back which would cost about the same or more than what Kesler makes. Therefore, Luongo has to be moved.

Edler + Schneider would not work for the Canucks because they need a defenseman back as well. As bad as Edler was during the playoffs, the Canucks still need him badly unless someone like Hedman is coming back... :P
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:^ As I said earlier, the only way we move Lou and land Nash is with a three way deal.
I disagree...

Not saying it would be easy... but we have assets that could be moved to make the numbers "work"!

Ballard.... Booth.... Maholtra....

It's doable if Columbus were interested!
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:^ As I said earlier, the only way we move Lou and land Nash is with a three way deal.
The major question is whether you want to invest $7.8m on a talented but lazy player or the same amount less on Parise without costing the Canucks a significant bargaining chip. Parise is only 26. Could MG offer something like 6 years $45m to Parise?
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

CFP! wrote:If you p/u Nash, Luongo has to be moved. A package of Edler and Schieder is enticing but doesn't work cap wise right now. Notwithstanding Corys upcoming raise.
Jovocop wrote:Exactly, if the Canucks pick up Nash, one of the $5m+ Canucks has to go. There are only four players making >= $5m, the Sedins, Luongo and Kesler. The Sedins are untouchable. If MG trades Kesler, the Canucks would need a second line centre back which would cost about the same or more than what Kesler makes. Therefore, Luongo has to be moved.
$70m cap ceiling next year, the Canucks have $15m in space and nobody particularly important to re-sign except Schneider, with no cap ceiling bump the following year (which is literally unprecedented) they'll have $28m to re-sign Edler, Tanev and Burrows.

The Canucks cap problems are overblown, they don't have much space relative to many other teams but there's more space right now than there are players to spend it on.

Considered in isolation I'd much rather have Schneider than Luongo but if the choice is between dealing Lou for a rich man's Mason Raymond (say Ted Purcell) vs. trading Schneider for a veteran - or future - elite scoring forward, you've got to give it some serious thought.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

ODB wrote:
I disagree...

Not saying it would be easy... but we have assets that could be moved to make the numbers "work"!

Seriously, who would take Maholtra off the Canucks?

If the Canucks trade Ballard, they would definitely need a top-four defenseman back who would cost about the same.

Booth is an interesting option. He did not play well this playoffs. Was it his fault? I am not so sure. Would the result be the same if AV put the AMEX line back together? I seriously hope MG would give Booth one full year with the team before making a decision on him.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

ODB wrote:
I disagree...

Suppose it's possible. But Columbus trading their greatest asset and not addressing their goaltending issues would be insane imo.

Then again, it's not a very sharp group they have running their team there. I was utterly shocked to find out how close to the cap they were half way through the season.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Jovocop wrote:Seriously, what would take Maholtra off the Canucks?
The most lucrative offer ever to be the assistant coach of an AHL team.