Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

JonT21
CC Veteran

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by JonT21 »

What are your thoughts on keeping Luongo and using both evenly next year Elliot-Halak style?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

coco_canuck wrote:Wait, WHAT?

Luongo HAS trade value?!?!

No fucking shit.

From people suggesting we should waive him, to reporters and bloggers concerned over his trade value, the pundits in the "know" have now vindicated what was already obvious in my mind.

The Canucks could trade Luongo on the first day the trade freeze lifts, and it will include a nice return.

Personally, I've maintained we should find a way to keep both goalies, whether that happens or not is unclear.

No question keeping both makes us stronger and I think it is something MG looks at. We now know Luongo will waive but we don't know if Cory is willing to share the load for another year or two.

And we don't know the return for either. If the return is shit then ya keeping both makes sense but if MG can hit a home run with either then....
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Having both of these goaltenders has been an amazing luxury.

That being said having an elite player on the bench for 60 minutes a game (most games) is a luxury this team may not be able to afford forever - depending on the kind of return one of these goalies could get, the Canucks may be a vastly better team most nights.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Canuck-One wrote:Luo to Tampa for Hedman. We fulfil a need and so do Tampa.
Tampa wont trade Hedman, he is likely next to Stamkos on their untouchable list.

Lots of forward depth and a good prospect pool on that team, they will put together an offer built around those assets.
We would be giving up one of the top goaltenders in the league. It could quite possibly put Tampa over the top and gain that sought after playoff round. I think it will be given very serious consideration. I don't see MG trading away an asset like Luo or Schneider for a bag full of promises that might never materialize. This isn't Nonis or Burke giving up the farm for somebody who used to do, it's Mike Gillis and so far, IMHO, he seems to know what he is doing. If either one goes it will be for a solid top 3 forward or a top 2 D.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Canuck-One wrote:
We would be giving up one of the top goaltenders in the league. It could quite possibly put Tampa over the top and gain that sought after playoff round. I think it will be given very serious consideration. I don't see MG trading away an asset like Luo or Schneider for a bag full of promises that might never materialize. This isn't Nonis or Burke giving up the farm for somebody who used to do, it's Mike Gillis and so far, IMHO, he seems to know what he is doing. If either one goes it will be for a solid top 3 forward or a top 2 D.

Given how MG operates we know whoever we get will also be young and preferably under contract for more than a year. I think we should get a high draft pick as well. Luongo is an elite goaltender and his record speaks for itself. If Tampa had him in net they would be a contender right now, Toronto NOT.
The only HW the Canucks need
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

The canucks will not operate with both goaltenders sharing duties next season....at least not for the entire year. At some point between now and the trade deadline one will be moved. I expect it will likely happen on draft day.

This year was about establishing whether or not Schneider had the chops to start 50-55 games next season be it for the canucks or another team in the league. As Gillis said Schneider passed all tests. There is no way they don't give him an opportunity to be a starter (somewhere).

I think Washington is another potential destination for the goaltenders. They still need help in that department despite the surprising play by Holtby. And they have a good number of young assets.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Post-Chicago fallout, some press talk that Hawks should consider trading Kane. Okay, just to play fantasy trade hockey a bit, Kane for Luongo. Hawks get a real #1 since I doubt the Hawks will go into next year with much confidence in Crawford and the Canucks get top end talent for the second line. Yes, he's a douchebag, but who cares, won a Cup, got mad skillz. Kane also has a 6.3 cap hit for the next three years, so cap wise it's close to even up.

To be clear, I don't think this will actually happen. The very idea that the Hawks/Canucks would each trade one of their core players to one of their most hated rivals seems more than far fetched...but, hey, we're in fantasy trade mode, so why the hell not imagine Kane and Kes (US teammates) patrolling the 2nd line...would be fun to watch!
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

I'd keep Luongo and I'd trade Schneider.

I'd ask Lou to toe the company line and say he'd be willing to move so they can get full value for Schneider. I'd even give Schneider a few starts in the playoffs to build his value.

I would stick with a proven goaltender... Lou would go back to playing 70+ games next season.

:thumbs:
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Fuck it. Trade both. Let the Eddie era begin.

Trade Mary Ann/Raymond for Yakupov/PPaaarrrvvvii

Lou/Edler for Hedman/Connoly

I'm going back to bed...
2011..... the one that got away.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Is there any possibility of a Luo for Nash trade?
It's hard not to think about Nash and get excited. He has a jumbo contract I know but maybe playing for a team like VCR could ignite something inside...
Luo going to Columbus I can't see though. Why would he? I'm just wondering if there's any way that goes down....
If you need air...call it in
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Uncle dans leg wrote:Is there any possibility of a Luo for Nash trade?
It's hard not to think about Nash and get excited. He has a jumbo contract I know but maybe playing for a team like VCR could ignite something inside...
Luo going to Columbus I can't see though. Why would he? I'm just wondering if there's any way that goes down....
Could be folklore but I' heard/read a while back that Lou's agent publicly stated that Lou wanted a NTC so he wouldn't end up in a place like Columbus. So if thats true I'd say the chances are pretty much nil.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Luongo is not going to Columbus.

You can take that to the bank.
DeLevering since 1999.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

donlever wrote:Luongo is not going to Columbus.

Agreed, the only logical destination would be Tampa Bay.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Lou/Edler for Hedman/Connoly

I'm going back to bed...
You know EDM wont trade with us and us with them Eddy!

Funny you bring up Edler, he sure put up a few stinkers in this past series and played much more like his Beer league he was drafted out of then a teams top dman. I'd entertain moving him in a package with Raymond or Luo.

I wonder if we could move Edler to the Isles/Jets/Was and Cory to Cbus?
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Jovocop wrote:
donlever wrote:Luongo is not going to Columbus.

Agreed, the only logical destination would be Tampa Bay.
Maybe the MOST, but not the ONLY.

I see Florida, New Jersey, Washington as possibilities too. Outside chance for Pittsburgh if they decide to put a close to the Fleury era.