Off-Season Trade Thread - Needs/Wants

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: Off-Season Trade Thread - Needs/Wants

Post by ukcanuck »

donlever wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
what would it cost Aquaman to buy out Roberto I wonder? would he make an offer he can't refuse?
Why?

Moot?

A deal can get done, no one (named RL) is getting bought out.
Actually I was thinking more about the Aqua's construction company and cement shoes, but never mind I guess it was only funny in my head
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

ukcanuck wrote:Actually I was thinking more about the Aqua's construction company and cement shoes, but never mind I guess it was only funny in my head
Roberto Luongo has been suspended by the team - from the 60th floor of the Shangri-la, by his ankles. Discussion of his no trade clause is ongoing.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

ukcanuck wrote:.. but never mind I guess it was only funny in my head
Ahhh, Italian gangster smack!!

Problem is it went right over mine.

Next time....
DeLevering since 1999.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Burke is also under far more pressure than he was last off season. Burke could talk smack all off season and up to the all star break as his leaves were doing what he said they'd do. Then they fell apart and the MAJOR issue was goaltending despite having two handpicked Burke goaltenders (Reimer while not drafted by Burke was annointed by Burke as the #1). Burke looked like an ass as the season wound down and the TO media is going to be quick to get out the pitchforks next season. Given his boss took out a big ad apologizing for the teams ineptness (and presumably that applied to not just the players) I'd imagine it won't only be the media sharpening knives.

If he could get Luongo he'd do it, but I don't think he'd give up Gardiner. He'd be more likely to give up his first round pick IMO. I also think Luongo may go to Toronto because of Allaire. I think TO would also be a destination for Raymond with the Nonis connection and the need for good PK guys.
LiquidSnake
AHL Prospect

Post by LiquidSnake »

dbr wrote: Maybe Rick Nash wouldn't be so bad after all..
It wouldn't address the lack of playmakers in the top 6. I'd personally suggest Joe Thornton.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

donlever wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:.. but never mind I guess it was only funny in my head
Ahhh, Italian gangster smack!!

Problem is it went right over mine.

Next time....
as long as you don't forget the cannoli :)
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

LiquidSnake wrote:
It wouldn't address the lack of playmakers in the top 6. I'd personally suggest Joe Thornton.
No, thank you! The Canucks need worriers not another crying baby.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

If we do need to trade Ballard, Minny could be a good fit as according to capgeek they will be lacking some dmen this offseason if Foster and Lundin leave via UFA.

And in return we could use Matt Cullen who could help our anemic offense for the 3rd line center spot, as he has that savvy veteran leadership plus has some cup winning experience that we are severely lacking.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
LiquidSnake
AHL Prospect

Post by LiquidSnake »

Jovocop wrote:
LiquidSnake wrote:
No, thank you! The Canucks need worriers not another crying baby.
The Canucks have enough "worriers". Thornton in a secondary role would be excellent. His elite playmaking skills are what's needed for a 2nd line with Kesler and Booth
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Has anyone suggested firing Mike Gillis and replacing him with Bobby Clarke?
____
Try to focus on someday.
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Strangelove wrote:Has anyone suggested firing Mike Gillis and replacing him with Bobby Clarke?
Or Patrick Roy? :lol:

Should we build a statue of Clarkey for you, Doc? :lol:
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

CrzyCanuck wrote: Should we build a statue of Clarkey for you, Doc? :lol:
Saaay how about one of those fountain-statues: Clarkie pissing on Lindros! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Management has to make a decision on Edler. Either he can mentally bust through this playoff wall he hits and play with more confidence and intensity, or you may as well ship him out while he's hot. Maybe package him and Lou for Hedman and Malone as one other here suggested. If the Canucks are going to give up their #1 D, they had best replace him because unlike this season, there's no replacing him from within.

Otherwise, frankly, the D is good. Maybe Gillis will have to move Ballard for salary reasons, but he's proven lately that he can play his way into significant minutes under Vigneault. As far as Alberts/Rome/etc, keep them around because the way the league is letting the forecheckers in, it's open season on the D in retrieval.

As for forwards, honestly I like the bottom six. Higgins/Pahlsson/Hansen is an effective 3rd line that is worth keeping together. Either winger can move up one line in a pinch. Lapierre, Malhotra, Bitz/whatever is not a bad 4th line at all though I wonder why Gillis never went after somebody like Konopka. People hack on Manny, but he can still win faceoffs and be responsible in all zones.

The top 6 though? Burrows is a Canuck for life. He knows it. Management knows it. The league knows it and more importantly the Sedins know it. He makes them as good as they make him. The Sedins are Canucks for life unless Gillis does a megaton blow-up of the roster.

The biggest thing is the ever-elusive 2nd line. I think they'll give Booth till next trading deadline to see who they really have here, but playmaker, he ain't. To me, it comes down to Kesler. If he gets traded, it's because management has lost faith in his ability to recuperate from his hip injury - which may well be the case. I wouldn't be surprised. Regardless, they have three options with him: keep him at 2nd C, move him down to 3rd C, or move him to the wing. The easiest option would be to keep status quo with him at 2nd C, but then we NEED a playmaking winger. The first guy that comes to mind is Parise, but he will have suitors all over the league. Who else? If they move him to wing (where he can be more of a shooter), it opens up a lot more options. What about trading Lou for Lecavalier and a pick? What if Gillis could swing a deal for Getzlaf (against all odds)? Kesler could still take shadow assignments and draws but there are more 2nd line playmaking options at C than W. They could try for a revamped 2nd line and put Kesler with Higgins and Hansen but that's a lot of salary to bury at 3rd C.

May Ray is toast and I will be happy to drive him to the airport.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

tantalum wrote:Burke is also under far more pressure than he was last off season. Burke could talk smack all off season and up to the all star break as his leaves were doing what he said they'd do. Then they fell apart and the MAJOR issue was goaltending despite having two handpicked Burke goaltenders (Reimer while not drafted by Burke was annointed by Burke as the #1). Burke looked like an ass as the season wound down and the TO media is going to be quick to get out the pitchforks next season. Given his boss took out a big ad apologizing for the teams ineptness (and presumably that applied to not just the players) I'd imagine it won't only be the media sharpening knives.

If he could get Luongo he'd do it, but I don't think he'd give up Gardiner. He'd be more likely to give up his first round pick IMO. I also think Luongo may go to Toronto because of Allaire. I think TO would also be a destination for Raymond with the Nonis connection and the need for good PK guys.

While I agree that Toronto could be a fit for Luongo word has it that Allaire is set to retire. I also agree that if Burke could get Luongo he would bend over backwards. What will help us is if Luongo has a list of 4-5 destinations and they get into a bidding war.

If Luongo fails to waive then no doubt there are a few teams that will bid for Cory.
The only HW the Canucks need
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Strangelove wrote:
CrzyCanuck wrote: Should we build a statue of Clarkey for you, Doc? :lol:
Saaay how about one of those fountain-statues: Clarkie pissing on Lindros! :thumbs:
.....or Clarke pushing his Grandma down the stairs. The water would be coming from her eyes rather than Clarkes shlong. It's more family friendly that way Doc.
2011..... the one that got away.