Hossa Hit

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Hossa Hit

Post by Topper »

I like the call the by Shanahan, some of the reasoning I don't get because I don't know the weighting he applies to various aspects.

It appears a lot of emphasis was on Raffi's history.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

By Shanahan's definitions and criteria for discipline, Shea Weber should have gotten a 10 game suspension for his work on Zetterberg. Roughing for the punch to the head, and I don't even know what you would call the grab and slam that followed. But that is two rule violations that had intent to injure, factor in that Weber has received prior discipline but is not a guy who generally plays outside the rules or even on the edge, and then consider Torres and his 25 games.....how Weber didn't get at least the remainder of the first round is beyond me.

NHL = Total Fucking Joke.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

I see some consistency for non-star players, although that includes an emphasis on injury.
Preferential treatment of star players has been around a long time, & isn't good for the game's integrity.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Seems to me we thought the new "benchmark" was the Rome suspension in the SCF. Then it was the Wishniewski suspension in the preseason. Now its Raffi's 25 games. Is anyone "clear" on what the "Posse's" plan is? If they are please explain it to me because I don't have a clue!!

I don't have an issue with Raffi's suspension per se. His history is undeniable. If this was a late hit what about Brown's hit on Hank? Raffi left his feet ala Nik Kronwall.

How does the "Posse" ignore intent on one hand and punish the offender because there was an injury? It was only by luck that Zetterberg and Henrik were not injured. Brown's hit was not penalized not was it reviewed. Duncan Keith had no other thought in mind but to run his elbow through Daniel's head when the puck was no where close by.

The Posse clearly has no baseline and is flying by the ass of their pants. They are succeeding only in confusing players and fans
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Yeah pretty inconsistent. In terms of lateness of the hit, it wasn't that bad. Kronwall has made that hit countless of times.

Clearly, the league has identified Raffi as a predator and is giving him the maximum in hopes of rehabilitating him ala Matt Cooke.

Somehow the very nasty blindside, shoulder to head hit on an unsuspecting player without the puck by Malkin will receive no attention. This was exactly the the type of hit that spurred the league to try to do something in the first place.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

if everything was being reviewed as it should be, Henrik should have gotten a game for retribution on Brown.

meh.. the league is messed up.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Madcombinepilot wrote:if everything was being reviewed as it should be, Henrik should have gotten a game for retribution on Brown.

meh.. the league is messed up.

but then Brown wouldn't have been on the ice due to the suspension he deserved?
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Mëds wrote:By Shanahan's definitions and criteria for discipline, Shea Weber should have gotten a 10 game suspension for his work on Zetterberg. Roughing for the punch to the head, and I don't even know what you would call the grab and slam that followed. But that is two rule violations that had intent to injure, factor in that Weber has received prior discipline but is not a guy who generally plays outside the rules or even on the edge, and then consider Torres and his 25 games.....how Weber didn't get at least the remainder of the first round is beyond me.

NHL = Total Fucking Joke.
Don't forget the Boychuk snapping Raymond's spine last year.
Three violations:
1.) Interferance - Raymond didn't have the puck
2.) Tripping (for the slew foot)
3.) I guess you'd call it boarding - slamming a helpless player's spine into the boards so hard that he's wheeled out on a stretcher.

Gotta be 8 or 10 games at least, even for a first-time offender
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Zamboni Driver wrote: Gotta be 8 or 10 games at least, even for a first-time offender

...or a free pass and a Cup ring.

Flip a coin I guess.
DeLevering since 1999.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Hockey Widow wrote:I have no problem with the 25 game suspension which will in all likelihood carry over to next year, as well he cannot play in any preseason games. He is most definitely a repeat offender and he most definitely targets the head when he hits.

Shanny does a good job of breaking it down.

My problem is the other decisions and especially Weber and Keith.

Lets hope this sets a new bar.
I was surprised by 25 games. I was thinking more in the 5-10 range based on all the other precedents - even for people who have "a history". This said, the Hawks had an effective PR campaign behind the scenes to make this happen. Loved the crocodile tears from Toews and Kane with Keith sitting just off Camera. But still not as entertaining as Torterella claiming the the Torres hit was the new plan for success in the playoffs after Boyle got caught with his head down.

meh - if nothing else the 25 games will get everyone else attention and say smarten the hell up or I'll "Torres you"
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

wafflecombine wrote:I was surprised by 25 games. I was thinking more in the 5-10 range based on all the other precedents - even for people who have "a history". This said, the Hawks had an effective PR campaign behind the scenes to make this happen. Loved the crocodile tears from Toews and Kane with Keith sitting just off Camera. But still not as entertaining as Torterella claiming the the Torres hit was the new plan for success in the playoffs after Boyle got caught with his head down.

meh - if nothing else the 25 games will get everyone else attention and say smarten the hell up or I'll "Torres you"
I've got a lot of complaints about the league and about supplementary discipline but I have a hard time seeing 25 games for Raffi Torres as a cause for concern (unless you're Raffi Torres).

The bottom line is that the league is saying to players like Torres and Matt Cooke that they need to smarten up or they will be unemployed/unemployable before long. If that had happened to guys like Bryan Marchment in the past we might have a few more talented hockey players finishing their careers on their own terms.

It'd be great if that standard applied to serial offenders with multimillion dollar salaries - and it's pretty outrageous that it doesn't - but that doesn't make the Torres suspension worse, it just throws the league's lack of appetite for a fair standard into sharper relief.

edit: sorry dhabums
Last edited by dbr on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

dbr wrote: ...it just throw's the league's lack of appetite for a fair standard into sharper relief.
Well look at you all verbose and all.

;)

I guess the cause for concern, although I see and get your point, is that it continues to be a completely uneven playing field in terms of discipline.

If you are a golden boy on a golden team you are, in an effort to not be unneedingly wordy, gold.

If not, heads up...wot. (we'll show them how serious we are, we'll nail Raffe for 25...L O F L)

They can carry on doing whatever the fuck they want in that office regardless, I'm far past caring anymore (although some may argue commenting on a goddamn hockey talk message board insinuates regard), for what that is worth (nothing of course).....
DeLevering since 1999.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

donlever wrote:in an effort to not be unneedingly wordy

insinuates regard
:lol:

Ahh donnie.

(I totally agree with your point though. The way I see it is that there's no point dumping all over the NHL for finally getting it right in throwing the book at Raffi, when what really irks us is the fact that they got it wrong on Keith, Weber, Rome, etc; they are all separate incidents and the league is getting some right and most very wrong. Of course, such an uneven application of the rules probably justifies the unfair reactions I'm pointing out...)
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

8-)

..you of course realize I do that shit on purpose to amuse y'all.

Or myself maybe.

:look:
DeLevering since 1999.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

We count ourselves lucky that your self-gratification on the boards is limited to vocabulary calisthenics and not pissing and moaning like certain other posters..