Hossa Hit

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Hossa Hit

Post by Island Nucklehead »

LOL - this is too much.

"See? We're hard on hits to the head!" It's so obviously desperate. Malkin's fly-by of Grossman (I think) had more head contact than this.

Smash a star players head into the boards: $2,500 (if you're Shea Weber). Slightly high and slightly late hit, get 25 games.

Well if this is the new standard, great. But we better not see anymore 1 or 2 game suspensions.

How did James Neal get away with 1 game for TWO high and late hits in one game? Asham's cross-check to Schenn's face was FAR more deliberate and outside of hockey norms.
CC Veteran

Post by Sticky »

Hit happened in game 3.... Potentially 4 games left in round one, 7 games in rounds 2-4...

4 + 7 + 7 + 7 = 25

Honestly, that is the only logical basis I could accept as rationale for this suspension.
benivolent
CC Rookie

Post by benivolent »

Island Nucklehead wrote:LOL - this is too much.

How did James Neal get away with 1 game for TWO high and late hits in one game? Asham's cross-check to Schenn's face was FAR more deliberate and outside of hockey norms.
Welcome to the new WWE.

(it really is ridiculous. Keith=5, Torres=25?!...way to go William Regal, er, Shanny.)
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Now we're going to see a new trend of players being taken off in stretchers - makes for great TV, too.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

25 games...are we supposed to be impressed that they threw the book at Torres? It still stinks in the house that it depends who you are and where you play more than what what you did.

pro sports = money and politics ...sigh
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

$2500 for slamming a guys head in the glass

25 games for being Raffi Torres. That really is what it comes down to. I agree it should have been a lengthy suspension but 25 games only makes sense if they actually start caring about the plays where a guy doesn't go off the ice on the stretcher and instead pops right back up. I hold out no hope that the NHL uses this as any sort of benchmark.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

How can any one look at the Torres hit without wondering about Chara, Weber and Keith at the same time. This is like a kid saying so you think that was stupid well look at this I can do better.

Sheriff Shanahan or the approach he takes is not working. We need a different model. A better definition of flagrant fouls and how they are dealt with. The NHL has to stop having it's own credibility raked over the coals. No more ex players associated with past clubs, managers etc. We need a committee ( and I hate committees ) from more than one area of expertise. Some thing to level out these spikes in stupidity
cheers
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Wow. Nothing Brendan does will satisfy you guys. Y'all sound like a bunch of complaining seniors.

Based on that video, Torres absolutely deserves 25 games. He has a history of hurting people badly and his type needs to get the boot out of the NHL.

Duncan Keith, while a grade A douchebag, does NOT have a history of hurting people like Raffi does. Not even close. Yes, I want to shoot his dog because of what he did to Dank but as a first time major offender, 5 games is reasonable. It's not reasonable for a bias Canuck fan but it's the most we could have expected.

Seriously. Did you guys even watch the video before commenting? Raffi saw the puck had already left Hossa's stick. Raffi then launched himself into the air and aimed his shoulder at Hossa's head AT FULL SPEED. In addition, Hossa didn't even know Raffi was coming until he got hit. And then Hossa had to get stretchered off the ice after the hit. Yeah, I don't see too many NHL players getting stretchered off the ice very often. Do you?

At first I also thought it was a hockey play but when Shanahan broke it down in his video, it makes perfect sense why it is NOT. 25 games is good and sends a clear message. Is it late? Perhaps. But better late than never.
Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Post by Knucklehead »

I have absolutely no problem with the length of this suspension.

It is the others I have a problem with (no need to go into which ones), they were far to lenient.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Island Nucklehead wrote:LOL - this is too much.

Smash a star players head into the boards: $2,500 (if you're Shea Weber). Slightly high and slightly late hit, get 25 games.
He got off easy - if he was still playing for the Canucks he would have got 250 games.... :?
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

mathonwy wrote:Wow. Nothing Brendan does will satisfy you guys.
With Shanahans record over the last 12 months I`d say he get the schtick that he deserves. How many times do you actually hear any one say, they in agreement with him. The whole suspension model sucks, he just happenes to be the boss. If nothing else this guy needs help from others
cheers
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Fred wrote:
mathonwy wrote:Wow. Nothing Brendan does will satisfy you guys.
With Shanahans record over the last 12 months I`d say he get the schtick that he deserves. How many times do you actually hear any one say, they in agreement with him. The whole suspension model sucks, he just happenes to be the boss. If nothing else this guy needs help from others
Still a hell of a better than Colin Campbell.

These are all growing pains. Nothing more and nothing less.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

mathonwy wrote:Wow. Nothing Brendan does will satisfy you guys. Y'all sound like a bunch of complaining seniors.
25 games is good and sends a clear message. Is it late? Perhaps. But better late than never.

Clear message?

Yeah its clear alright, if you are a journeyman and minor piece on a small market team you better watch what you do, because Shanahan is a no nonsense sheriff.

But, if you are a star on a team with an important owner? ...not so much
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

mathonwy wrote:Wow. Nothing Brendan does will satisfy you guys. Y'all sound like a bunch of complaining seniors.

Based on that video, Torres absolutely deserves 25 games. He has a history of hurting people badly and his type needs to get the boot out of the NHL.

Duncan Keith, while a grade A douchebag, does NOT have a history of hurting people like Raffi does. Not even close. Yes, I want to shoot his dog because of what he did to Dank but as a first time major offender, 5 games is reasonable. It's not reasonable for a bias Canuck fan but it's the most we could have expected.

Seriously. Did you guys even watch the video before commenting? Raffi saw the puck had already left Hossa's stick. Raffi then launched himself into the air and aimed his shoulder at Hossa's head AT FULL SPEED. In addition, Hossa didn't even know Raffi was coming until he got hit. And then Hossa had to get stretchered off the ice after the hit. Yeah, I don't see too many NHL players getting stretchered off the ice very often. Do you?

At first I also thought it was a hockey play but when Shanahan broke it down in his video, it makes perfect sense why it is NOT. 25 games is good and sends a clear message. Is it late? Perhaps. But better late than never.
I said right from the start that Torres should have the book thrown at him.What I have a problem with is the inconsistency of Shanahan's suspensions.

Torres is a repeat offender,I get that,but you say because Keith is this squeaky clean player he only deserved 5 games.Give your head a shake man. The fact of the matter is Keith's elbow was completely predatory and blatant.Torres hit was nowhere near as vicious as Keiths.

No I think the NHL has completely lost all credibility. All you have to do is look at both videos again. The reason Keith only got 5 games was because of his elite status. It had little to do with his history.

Sedin not being hauled off in a stretcher should have absolutely nothing to do with the length of the suspension. It was the intent of Keith to take Sedin down.End of story.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I have no problem with the 25 game suspension which will in all likelihood carry over to next year, as well he cannot play in any preseason games. He is most definitely a repeat offender and he most definitely targets the head when he hits.

Shanny does a good job of breaking it down.

My problem is the other decisions and especially Weber and Keith.

Lets hope this sets a new bar.
The only HW the Canucks need