Game 5 playoff elimination - Luo or Ginger?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who do you start in game 5?

Luo
4%
Ginger
96%

Total votes: 45

wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Game 5 playoff elimination - Luo or Ginger?

Post by wafflecombine »

I understand what you are saying Nor but I just can't see it happenning. Lou is a competitor and a starting #1. Cory is a competitor and wants to be a starting #1. I just can't see how you keep both. That aside, Lou is 5.3 worth of cap space and to keep Cory we are going to have to pony up at least 3-4. 9ish million of cap just in goalies is a milstone around the teams neck and keeps us from addressing other pressing issues.

Topper, I sincerely doubt Cory energized our previously dead powerplay - the difference in Game 4. If so I say he's late and should have worked the magic in game 3 and avoid the constant elimination game stress.

Either way, I am glad we have 1 more kick at the can. If we lose we can start the trade/fire AV threads in earnest. Until then all I want is to win and I know that should Cory falter even a step, Lou is ready to step in and swing for the fences... just like Cory was ready.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

wafflecombine wrote:Topper, I sincerely doubt Cory energized our previously dead powerplay - the difference in Game 4. If so I say he's late and should have worked the magic in game 3 and avoid the constant elimination game stress.
Where did I suggest he energized the powerplay?

Is English a 2nd or 3rd language here?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Has anyone heard the starting time for Sunday's game? I've heard it's in the afternoon but I can't find anything to confirm this.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Canuck-One wrote:Has anyone heard the starting time for Sunday's game? I've heard it's in the afternoon but I can't find anything to confirm this.
I wish I knew. My sister needs to know as soon as possible so she can swap day shift/night shift with someone at work and my Mom is trying to plan a Sunday dinner around it. Whats the hold up?
2011..... the one that got away.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Soonest I can get to a tv Is about 630-7ish...packup in chetwynd go to friends in dawson...after the rodeo.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Heard a rumour that if Pittsburgh won we play later, 7:00 or so.

If they had lost it would have been an afternoon game.

No confirmation yet but I guess we should be playing in the evening if that is true.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Looks like its a 5:00pm start per Canucks.com
NorCalNucks
CC Rookie

Post by NorCalNucks »

wafflecombine wrote:I understand what you are saying Nor but I just can't see it happenning. Lou is a competitor and a starting #1. Cory is a competitor and wants to be a starting #1. I just can't see how you keep both. That aside, Lou is 5.3 worth of cap space and to keep Cory we are going to have to pony up at least 3-4. 9ish million of cap just in goalies is a milstone around the teams neck and keeps us from addressing other pressing issues.
Call me an idealist but I think it is possible for Canucks to keep both goalies. If teams can pay $7 million for an "elite" goalie (Rinne)then why not pay $8-9 million for TWO superb/elite goalies? It's a luxury Canucks can enjoy since 1) Cory is still a RFA 2) most of the core are signed to long term contracts 3) other plays might willing to take pay cut to play for Vancouver because it will vastly improve their chance to the Stanley Cup with our goalie combo.

just some food for thoughts.. :)
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Thanks Aaronp
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

NorCalNucks wrote:
wafflecombine wrote:I understand what you are saying Nor but I just can't see it happenning. Lou is a competitor and a starting #1. Cory is a competitor and wants to be a starting #1. I just can't see how you keep both. That aside, Lou is 5.3 worth of cap space and to keep Cory we are going to have to pony up at least 3-4. 9ish million of cap just in goalies is a milstone around the teams neck and keeps us from addressing other pressing issues.
Call me an idealist but I think it is possible for Canucks to keep both goalies. If teams can pay $7 million for an "elite" goalie (Rinne)then why not pay $8-9 million for TWO superb/elite goalies? It's a luxury Canucks can enjoy since 1) Cory is still a RFA 2) most of the core are signed to long term contracts 3) other plays might willing to take pay cut to play for Vancouver because it will vastly improve their chance to the Stanley Cup with our goalie combo.

just some food for thoughts.. :)

Well, I think you are absolutely right that we could try and keep both goalies. No doubt it is something the Canucks will consider but it may be something they can't control for a number of reasons.

Luongo may not be too happy with the shift. Although he can't ask for a trade, officially, yet, he still may not be happy. Luongo's personal life may become an issue if it has not already. He may want/need to try to relocate back to the East.

As for Cory, well they can take him to arbitration to avoid anyone making him an offer sheet but then they are stuck with the arbitrators decision. Who knows what that would look like. Would he get awarded a one year deal as an elite number 1, mid range or as a back up? Regardless, whatever the award is the Canucks would be stuck with it.

Yes, Cory can agree to a 1-2 year deal that would make the Canucks want to keep him, and maybe he does with a promise that Luongo will be moved as soon as possible and he will then become the number one which takes us back to problem one, what does Luongo want to do and he holds the cards in this regard.

I think the Canucks will explore very option carefully and if the best option is to keep both and the math works then for sure they will do that. We are stronger in net with both of them for sure.

But then if the Canucks are looking to add pieces either by trade or FA then they need pieces to trade and cap room. They can ship Ballard and save 4.2, get rid of Raymond and save 2.55. But they have to replace Ballard somehow. They still need a top six point producer. Now if the can trade Luongo there is another 5.33 off the cap so those three moves shave 12 million off the cap. Unless Manny retires he has one more year. Who knows if they ask Pahlsson back and at what cap hit.Lets assume he does not come back there is another 2.65 and Rome is UFA at 750,000. Total if those players are gone is 15.48 million off the cap. We also have a ton of 4 line players and Salo as UFA, And Weise and MAG RFA with So those bottom liners and MAG and Salo represent another 3.4 million.

So we would have 18.88 million to try and replace:
1 goalie-a back up
3 defence men Rome Salo MAG
6 forwards.Pahlsson, Raymond, Bitz, Weise, Volpatti and Ebbett.

Some of these players you probably want back so take off whatever they command. You add in whatever you get in a trade for Luongo and unlike some I think he has a good trade value, maybe not great but I think a decent pick and a roster player and/or a prospect. I don't buy he will be hard to move and that we would be forced to take a back contract back. I liken it to Healty. The SJS had to get rid of some contracts but Ottawa never had to take them back and I think we are in the same position. We are not dumping him because he is bad or has a bad cap. We are trading him because we have another guy we like better.

But if we let the big dollar guys go we have 15.5 million to spend in FA plus whatever the cap goes up by. Factor in of course a huge raise to Cory. But if the Canucks think Lack has even better or similar potential as Cory then maybe they are happy with a 3-4 year deal that makes cap sense.

So you see, its not just as simple as saying if we really wanted to keep both we could. Of course we could, and that may happen, but when analyzing player personnel and projecting what we might be seeking via trade or FA it becomes more complicated.
The only HW the Canucks need
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

It has to be Schneider. The pressure on Luongo if he started game 5 would be just too intense, almost a no win situation. I have a feeling the Canucks won't win game 5 anyway, imagine if that loss fell on Roberto, yikes. I feel bad for him, but change is in the air. In terms of this summer, one would think Gillis' preference would be to move Luongo, but given the difficulties in doing that Gillis now has Schneider's trade value at an all time high...it'll be a freaky summer.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Boston Canucker wrote:It has to be Schneider. The pressure on Luongo if he started game 5 would be just too intense, almost a no win situation. I have a feeling the Canucks won't win game 5 anyway, imagine if that loss fell on Roberto, yikes. I feel bad for him, but change is in the air. In terms of this summer, one would think Gillis' preference would be to move Luongo, but given the difficulties in doing that Gillis now has Schneider's trade value at an all time high...it'll be a freaky summer.
Yep, may you live in interesting times.

If we tank tomorrow night (or anytime before at least late in the third round) no ones job is safe. When Gillis traded Hodgson away for a future piece rather than immediate help I got the impression that if this team couldn't get it done this year that there would be some significant changes to the core this summer. We'll see.....
2011..... the one that got away.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Gillis' job is safe. Coaching staff not so much but Gillis won't be going anywhere. Burn it down burn it down! :roll:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

tantalum wrote:Gillis' job is safe. Coaching staff not so much but Gillis won't be going anywhere. Burn it down burn it down! :roll:
Even though it was Gillis who put the players in place for Coach AV. The buck stops with Gillis, the final decision maker. The puppet master. Coach's getting fired is the classic case shit running down hill. Scapegoats half the time. Some blame definitely has to fall onto the shoulders of Gillis, the CoHo trade was awful. Taking on huge contracts in Ballard and Booth with returns that don't add up. The Steve Bernier acquistion. Should have he kept Torres? Mitchell? His drafting record 'so far' has not been glowing, outside of CoHo. He's had 4 drafts now and nothing to show for.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

RoyalDude wrote: Even though it was Gillis who put the players in place for Coach AV. The buck stops with Gillis, the final decision maker. The puppet master. Coach's getting fired is the classic case shit running down hill. Scapegoats half the time. Some blame definitely has to fall onto the shoulders of Gillis, the CoHo trade was awful. Taking on huge contracts in Ballard and Booth with returns that don't add up. The Steve Bernier acquistion. Should have he kept Torres? Mitchell? His drafting record 'so far' has not been glowing, outside of CoHo. He's had 4 drafts now and nothing to show for.
Hey look you don't like GIllis who would have guessed?

Hodgson trade you have no idea how it is right now and to say otherwise is a complete joke. You want to talk about shit watch how Hodgson played as a Sabre the bulk of his games.

Booth....23 goal 50 or so point pace as a canuck in a season that had a knee injury in the middle of it. Really not hard to see how he could score 30 next season. But hey you simply want to see him fail so nothing I say will change that. About the only member of the second line to show up with a consistent effort so far in the playoffs as well from what the bit I've seen.

4 drafts and nothing to show...so now we are expecting 20 year old late draft picks to make an impact? Jensen has what 6 goals in 8 games in the AHL? Schroeder looks ready to make the jump. There is your favorite Connauton who somehow didn't win the NHL rookie of the year but is a promising prospect. Then you have Tanev (signed not drafted but still a prospect) and yes Kassian (hey another guy you want to see fail!). Does some work need to be done with the prospect system? Sure but that is why you have a star goaltender to trade as well as other assets and perhaps a signing or two (Schultz).

Gillis has been the most successful GM the canucks have ever had but sure turf him that makes sense.