Game 5 playoff elimination - Luo or Ginger?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who do you start in game 5?

Luo
4%
Ginger
96%

Total votes: 45

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: Game 5 playoff elimination - Luo or Ginger?

Post by ukcanuck »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
ts getting so I dont know if Mit Romney or Farhan Lalji should be the Verb for flip flop anymore :)

it seems pretty clear we have a 1A, 1B situation going forward, but looking forward should only be as far as the 1st period of game 5...
Not sure I'm following you buds. :?

I do admittedly flip flop on many issues (maybe I'm one of the few that thinks it's silly to be "set in stone" with thoughts, views, etc., when situations constantly change).........but as far as Schneider and Lou go, I think I've made it pretty clear that Schneider should be our goalie for the rest of this series.......and from here on out assuming that we make round 2. I would only put in Luongo at this point if Schneider is getting lit up or has a bad game (and in which case, you put Lou in the next game).

We may very well have a "1A" and "1B" situation going on, but that is NOT to say that we will be alternating between the goalies at random........especially if Schneider is playing tremendous and the team is winning with Schneider.

Is that " :) " worthy enough for you? :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
The smile was meant to keep it good natured, cause I didnt mean it to be insulting, but it wasn't long ago that you were against taking luongo out because he had played well enough and was not at fault for the two losses at home, but now you not only are happy with Schneider (who wouldn't be) you want to demote Luongo to back up status in the second round should they get there.

I guess I am marveling how a guy can go from all world to barely worth a bag of tape, in a couple of short years (not saying you think hes worthless,) just observing how your posts resemble that train of thought.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

mathonwy wrote:Fact: Luo is also not responsible nor did he contribute to the clusterfuck that was games 1 and 2.
I disagree. The Richards goal in game 1 was a stanky, skanky, horrible goal. A very Luongo-esque goal IMO.

LA won game one by one goal (plus an empty netter). I would say Luongo contributed his fair share to that loss.

Now, I'm not saying Luongo was the sole reason for losing as he surely was not, but in these tightly contested games against LA where goals are at a premium and every game has been close, that goal stunk.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

herb wrote:
mathonwy wrote:Fact: Luo is also not responsible nor did he contribute to the clusterfuck that was games 1 and 2.
I disagree. The Richards goal in game 1 was a stanky, skanky, horrible goal. A very Luongo-esque goal IMO.

LA won game one by one goal (plus an empty netter). I would say Luongo contributed his fair share to that loss.

Now, I'm not saying Luongo was the sole reason for losing as he surely was not, but in these tightly contested games against LA where goals are at a premium and every game has been close, that goal stunk.
I think you don't give enough credit to Mike Richards. That was misdirection at its finest. Everyone on the ice thought Richards was going to pass because that's where he was looking for the longest time. Then suddenly, he whips it at Luo's feet and caught him of guard.

Richards is an all-star, a Selke trophy nominee and a Olympic gold medalist. He knew exactly what he was doing because he's done it before and has caught plenty of goaltenders of guard.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

ukcanuck wrote:

The smile was meant to keep it good natured, cause I didnt mean it to be insulting, but it wasn't long ago that you were against taking luongo out because he had played well enough and was not at fault for the two losses at home, but now you not only are happy with Schneider (who wouldn't be) you want to demote Luongo to back up status in the second round should they get there.

I guess I am marveling how a guy can go from all world to barely worth a bag of tape, in a couple of short years (not saying you think hes worthless,) just observing how your posts resemble that train of thought.
Fair enough.

Honestly - You are right. I personally would NOT have put in Schneider for Game 3 because I genuinely did think that Luongo was one of our better players in both Games 1 and 2 (despite the fact that Lou let in 1, maybe 2, questionable goals), and that putting in Schneider was a disservice to Lou. I also felt that by putting in Schneider, the Kings would smell blood as it would signify a lack of confidence. On top of that, I wasn't sure how Schneider would react in a playoff setting after having been a back up the whole year. If Schneider shits the bed for instance, do you go back to Luongo? (i.e. a guy that has just been replaced?). It just seemed too risky to me.

Thankfully - I was wrong. As 'good' as Luongo was, Schneider has been tremendous. The team played better in front of Schneider, and Schneider does look like the better goalie at this point...........without the baggage/history.

So yeah - I think we should go with Schneider from here on our unless Schneider has a bad game.

Also - just to be clear - I don't think Luongo is worth a "bag of tape." Like I said - I think Luongo is atleast 90% as good as Schneider. However - given some of Lou's spectacular playoff collapses, combined with the length of his contract, I'm just not sure as to how much we'd be able to get for him in a trade (relative to Schneider). So - I think that is what I meant there.

And just for the record ukcanuck - I actually would have made Schneider our #1 goalie after the victory in Boston on January 7th (sorry Cornuck - I realize I've mentioned this 8-9 times now, but I'm trying to make clear my thoughts).
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

mathonwy wrote:I think you don't give enough credit to Mike Richards. That was misdirection at its finest. Everyone on the ice thought Richards was going to pass because that's where he was looking for the longest time. Then suddenly, he whips it at Luo's feet and caught him of guard.

Richards is an all-star, a Selke trophy nominee and a Olympic gold medalist. He knew exactly what he was doing because he's done it before and has caught plenty of goaltenders of guard.
Sure Richards knew what he was doing. Luongo has let in goals almost identical to that before, and I'm sure it will happen again.

Like I said, that goal stunk. Luongo was caught cheating. Shots from the goal line simply should not go in.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

mathonwy wrote:Richards is an all-star, a Selke trophy nominee and a Olympic gold medalist. He knew exactly what he was doing because he's done it before and has caught plenty of goaltenders of guard.
Luongo is an all-star, a Vezina trophy nominee and a Olympic gold medalist. He knew exactly what he was doing because he's done it before and has caught plenty of forewards of guard.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Topper wrote:
mathonwy wrote:Richards is an all-star, a Selke trophy nominee and a Olympic gold medalist. He knew exactly what he was doing because he's done it before and has caught plenty of goaltenders of guard.
Luongo is an all-star, a Vezina trophy nominee and a Olympic gold medalist. He knew exactly what he was doing because he's done it before and has caught plenty of forewards of guard.
err..

Luo catching forewards of guard how?

I don't quite follow.

Anyways. My point was, Luo was the least of the Canucks problems in game 1 and 2.

Whatevs. It's all good. I just want to win the next 3 games and I don't particularly care how we do it or who we have in goal.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

mathonwy wrote:
Topper wrote:
err..

Translation = Luo shoulda had it!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

mathonwy wrote:
Topper wrote:
err..

I don't quite follow.
I was pointing out the fallacy of your argument.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Topper wrote: I was pointing out the fallacy of your argument.
I know. :) I saw it the moment I typed it out.

I just wanted you to post a couple more posts saying so. ;)
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Assuming for the sake of argument at any given time both goalies are of equal talent, and on any given night one may out play the other, it comes down to who has the hot hand. Schneider in two games with 64 shots against has a save percentage of .969% with one win to his credit. Lou with 64 shots against has a save percentage of .891% with no wins. Whether it is luck or talent or both stick with what works: Schneider.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

It's not even a question right now. Schneider starts and if they lose they are done and the only question is if Luongo tells management he's willing to waive his NTC. Schneider starts and they win he starts again. If they win again he starts game 7. If they win game 7 it's his ball to run with until he has major struggles.

It will be interesting summer indeed.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Gotta say, Schneids have been super the past 2 games. We gotta roll with him. He kept the team in the game and the main big thing, he didn't give up a bad goal which can deflate the team.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Arbour wrote:Assuming for the sake of argument at any given time both goalies are of equal talent, and on any given night one may out play the other, it comes down to who has the hot hand. Schneider in two games with 64 shots against has a save percentage of .969% with one win to his credit. Lou with 64 shots against has a save percentage of .891% with no wins. Whether it is luck or talent or both stick with what works: Schneider.
I hate to quibble with you but lets also compare the quality of the team in front of both Lou and Schneid's on the games in question

Game 1 (Lou) - Team takes a giant, steaming, high-fiber induced shit on the ice. Its could have been 10-2. Lou gave them a chance to win it. They failed.
Game 2 (Lou) - Team takes yet another (slightly smaller), steaming dump on the ice yet again. Constantly on the PK, people gassed and some absolutely special ed give aways. I am fully expecting Roger's Arena to erupt with "Ok... Blue Jays"
Game 3 (Schneids) - Team finally realizes how bad they sucked and play better. PP still a mess, we lose again on a defensive mistake in our own end.
Game 4 (Schneids) - The REAL Vancouver Canucks finally show up and play. Minor penalty problems, PP 2/3, PK perfect and a solid win.

Haters can shovel whatever they like. Lou and Schneids have both been very good. Schneids, whether as a function of the team preferring him (which would be really unprofessional) or as a result of the REAL team finally showing up 3 games late has the win.

Say what you want, but Lou had the equivilant of the Maple leaves playing in front of him for his games and Ginger got the real Canucks. I'm just glad they finally decided to show up.

And for the record, I start Schneider in game 5.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

wafflecombine wrote: Say what you want, but Lou had the equivilant of the Maple leaves playing in front of him for his games and Ginger got the real Canucks. I'm just glad they finally decided to show up.
Completely and totally agree.........BUT.......perhaps there is an underlying psychological reasoning for this?

Perhaps there is simply too much negative history there with Lou....to the point where the team simply performs better with Schneider in front?