Game 5 playoff elimination - Luo or Ginger?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who do you start in game 5?

Luo
4%
Ginger
96%

Total votes: 45

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Game 5 playoff elimination - Luo or Ginger?

Post by mathonwy »

Sooooo......

Luo or Ginger?

I vote to start Luo at home.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Game 5 playoff elimination - Luo or Ginger?

Post by the Dogsalmon »

mathonwy wrote:Sooooo......

Luo or Ginger?

I vote to start Luo at home.

do you cheer for the crest on the front...or the nameplate on the back???
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I don' think there can be any question now. This series is Cory's to win or lose. I cannot see how you can come back with Luongo at this point. Maybe if we have a miracle come back AV might be pig headed enough to start Lou in the 2nd round but barring that or an injury I just cannot see the logic in making a switch.

I though Lou played very well in the first two games but I think Cory has played even better. Once the decision was made to start Cory game 3 and again tonight I think it signalled that the team has chosen a new number one. Whether he will be their number one next season who knows, a lot has to happen like Lou waiving his NTC.
The only HW the Canucks need
NorCalNucks
CC Rookie

Post by NorCalNucks »

I agree with HW as I am sure most do too. While Lu was not at fault for the first two games Ginger just outplayed quick. Also the D seemed more aggressive and comfortable with Ginger in net. Wouldn't mind trying Lu out when we get to the second round (not if but when, gotta have faith) since it might be the last few games for him. Really wish we can keep both goalies as they compliments each other but I doubt Lu would want to share his game time and Ginger willing to take a hometown discount as he has yet to make his millions yet.
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

No one in their right mind would put Luo in for the prospective elimination games. If we lose with Schneider it will be awful but no one will be climbing all over him. If Luo goes in and has a so so game - or God forbid - let's in a bad goal - it will be game over for him in this city. The pressure on that guy is too great and the organization will be painting itself into a corner if the worst happens.

Stick with Schneids. If the team works a miracle he either becomes our no.1 next season or we get a load of talent in a trade. Luo gets to play on - maybe next round or somewhere else.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Without a doubt, Schneider.

How is this even up for question? :?
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

I honestly don't think it's all that cut and dry that we go with ginger for the rest of the playoffs.

I believe both goalies give us relatively the same high percentage chance of winning with ginger having a slight advantage on the road. The slight advantage is due to to Luo's road meltdowns last post season. However, aside from Oct/Nov, Luo has been solid as a rock for us all season.

Measuring Luo by what happened in the first two games is ludicrous. Anointing ginger our savior after tonight's performance is equally ludicrous. Luo didn't have the benefit of Dank being in the line up and ginger didn't have to deal with a penalty parade tonight.

There is no doubt that ginger was solid tonight but if you have two equally good goalies, you use both of them to keep your opponent as off balance as possible.

Maybe I'm off base here but I would keep LA guessing on who starts. We're the only team (aside from maybe St. Louis) that has this type of #1/#1 goalie advantage. We might as well use it.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

mathonwy wrote: Maybe I'm off base here but I would keep LA guessing on who starts. We're the only team (aside from maybe St. Louis) that has this type of #1/#1 goalie advantage. We might as well use it.
I respectfully disagree.

I think you have to keep going with the hot hand........or at the very least, "if the wheel ain't broke, why fix it?"

I'd keep going with Schneids for this round. In the next round, if we make it that far, I'd keep going with Schneids until he has a bad game........or, if the Canucks want to change the momentum (as they attempted to do in game 3).
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

You guys know how the 'PM' system works, right? :hmmm:
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
mathonwy wrote: Maybe I'm off base here but I would keep LA guessing on who starts. We're the only team (aside from maybe St. Louis) that has this type of #1/#1 goalie advantage. We might as well use it.
I respectfully disagree.

I think you have to keep going with the hot hand........or at the very least, "if the wheel ain't broke, why fix it?"

I'd keep going with Schneids for this round. In the next round, if we make it that far, I'd keep going with Schneids until he has a bad game........or, if the Canucks want to change the momentum (as they attempted to do in game 3).
When it comes to goaltenders, the one thing that AV has shown us is that he is not reactionary and he sticks to the preplanned game plan.

I postulate that ginger was going to start the two road games regardless of what the series was at.

I know traditional hockey wisdom dictates that you ride a hot goalie until you can't. But traditional hockey teams typically don't have two #1 goalies in their pocket.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

mathonwy wrote:
I know traditional hockey wisdom dictates that you ride a hot goalie until you can't. But traditional hockey teams typically don't have two #1 goalies in their pocket.
I don't know......

I understand what you're saying, but I think the Canucks would be absolutely crazy to go with Luongo at this point........or at any point in this series (unless we're getting blown out in one of the games).
Blaster86
CC Veteran

Post by Blaster86 »

You can't go back to Luongo.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Luongo gets one chance to redeem himself in the eyes of the fans he has lost. And that is if Cory wins us this series. Then I could see AV get Luongo back in but otherwise why would he? It makes no sense. But then again..
I like Luongo but hell I feel better when Cory is in net. That alone should dictate what AV does right?

And we need a new nickname for Cory. On After Hours he made it clear he doesn't like the nick name and wishes people would move on from it. Just saying.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Saw this thread too late. Already posted something in the thread for game 4:

"Imo it's pretty clear right now, they must have to go with Schneids now until he starts stinkin'.
Luongo wasn't bad but Schneids has the magic touch right now. Would be a fatal mistake to not let him start the next games and there's really no logical explanation why Luongo should start the next game.

It's not about the future, it's here and now: game 5....Go Canucks Go"
Last edited by Cookie La Rue on Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

LOL I love this town! While I agree that both goalies have been great in this series, I have no idea how you could even ask this question after Schneiders 40 plus save performance last night including a game saving penalty shot. I think we all know that if he let that one in, the Canucks would probably have been done last night. The fact of the matter is, their powerplay was pressing so hard and surrendered a quick break due to their aggression. If Brown scores on the penalty shot, the team is majorly deflated and the Kings start pouring it on realizing they have the Canucks on the brink of elimination. Instead he makes a brilliant save and Henrik scores on the next shift. Game, set, and match.

I agree with HW that the Canucks roll with Schneids for the rest of this series. If by some miracle they win the series, then I think there's a very good chance you will see Luo again in the second round. I don't expect Schneids to collapse but I think he might have an average game, or the Canucks might simply need a goaltender change for a shakeup again. In that event, I would fully expect Luongo to be downright spectacular given that the fans have pretty much given up on him and he would have something to prove.

Having said that, there's a mountain to climb before even considering that possibility. Luo may very well have played his last game. You have got to love what Schneids brings to this team.

They're in tough, that's for sure. The Sedins and Schneider were dynamite last night but the likes of Kesler are going to have to step it up as well because while that trio might win us a game or two, it's unrealistic to expect them to win the series without the rest of the core upping their game as well.