Game 4 playoff elimination - Luongo or Schneider?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Game 4 playoff elimination - Luongo or Schneider?

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Does AV stick with Schneids or go back to Lu?

The talking heads opined that if AV doesn't go back to Lu, then it's the end of Lu in Vancouver.

IMO Schneider needs to start tonight. If he wins great! But if he plays well but we still lose, it helps bump his trade value (see, he can do playoffs too) and it also shuts down the critics that will be out if Lu loses the final game of the season.

I just don't think a goalie can have a 3.5 GAA and expect to win. (Except Bryzgalov - 5 GAA? - good to go! :lol: )
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Game 4 playoff elimination - Luongo or Schneider?

Post by donlever »

My personal selection would be that they play Schneider and run with him.

You can only do this (imesho) if you have made your choice moving forward.

Luongos ego is to big to deal with not playing tonight methinks.
DeLevering since 1999.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Zamboni Driver wrote:I just don't think a goalie can have a 3.5 GAA and expect to win. (Except Bryzgalov - 5 GAA? - good to go! :lol: )
That's an awfully selective statistical analysis there. ;) Luongo is also at the very top of the leaderboard when looking at even strength save percentage, fourth among goalies with more than a game played and just .005 behind Quick.

All that said I agree with donnie, I'd like to see them go with Schneider and then in the offseason move Lou.. but it's hard to pin either of his L's so far on Roberto if we're simply talking about who deserves the start tonight.

Of course, it's hard to say that Schneider doesn't deserve to stay in the net either.

Bottom line, goaltending is pretty much the least of our worries.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

I'd go with Luongo and I'd trade Schneider in the off season.

GM touched on this yesterday and my reasoning is pretty damn close to his. Schneider has been fantastic playing second fiddle on a very good team. (yes, despite being down 3 to 0, the Canucks are a very good team). We don't know yet if Schneider can carry the load on his own being the clear number one. Though I think he'd likely be fine the pressure would be a whole new beast.

To me the difference is we get way more in return for the Schneider asset. His value due to ability (par with Luongo), age and salary will make him a very attractive piece on the market. We'll get more for Schneider than we'll get for Luongo.

If I thought Schneider gave us a tangible advantage to win the cup going forward I'd stick with him. I just don't see that. I think Schneider and Luongo are pretty damn close. We need the return because our time is now. Move Schneider to fill some glairing holes (scoring)

This is of course based on a hockey decision only. I don't know about any potential locker room or personal issues either player may have. If there are issues that I'm unaware of... that could change things. If there’s a cancer… cut it out. But that goes for anyone.

By the By, I love the Torres hit on ol tinted visor last night!
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

...age is the deciding factor for me.

33 versus 26.
DeLevering since 1999.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Either way, this could very well be the last day in a Canuck uniform for one of them.
2011..... the one that got away.
Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Post by Knucklehead »

I'm glad it's a decision I don't have to make.

If we lose 1-0 in double overtime people will be saying we went with the wrong goalie and AV fucked up.

Doesn't matter if it's Lou or Ginger.

If we win the same way who cares what's said so for AV's peace of mind we just have to win baby win!
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

i have a 3 foot tall Luongo bobblehead and wear his number and name on the back of my jersey...and Bobby Lu has been my favourite player SINCE he was drafted...but...i pull for the crest on the front not the name on the back...Schneider goes tonight...
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

ODB wrote:I'd go with Luongo and I'd trade Schneider in the off season.

GM touched on this yesterday and my reasoning is pretty damn close to his. Schneider has been fantastic playing second fiddle on a very good team. (yes, despite being down 3 to 0, the Canucks are a very good team). We don't know yet if Schneider can carry the load on his own being the clear number one. Though I think he'd likely be fine the pressure would be a whole new beast.
If GMMG is willing to roll the dice and trade Coho for a project then I'm thinking that he is more than fine with rolling the dice with ginger.

Ginger almost got a shut out in game 3. I think he's shown everyone that he can do it in all situations.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

We have to go with Schneids. No question.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Definately Schneider
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

I feel like Lou is proven and Schneider COULD BE the next Steve Mayson!
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Schneider, both tonight and long term.

Schneider is younger and doesn't have a terrible case of the yips.

Plus, Luo's love from Vancouver fans has seemingly begun to wane.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

ODB wrote:I feel like Lou is proven and Schneider COULD BE the next Steve Mayson!
Definitely, but for right now..........Schneids is the better goalie and gives us the better chance of winning.

The team also seems to play a bit better in front of Schneider.
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

ODB wrote:I feel like Lou is proven and Schneider COULD BE the next Steve Mayson!
Totally get it.

Butt...

I feel like Luo can only go down and Schneids can only go up.

Cory progression just leads one (or some apparently lol) to think he can/will only get better.

At some point we have to make a move.

If we can get out from under the tenure of the Luongo deal now is the time.

imesho
DeLevering since 1999.