Canucks get Zack Kassian

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks get Zack Kassian

Post by 2Fingers »

But Farhan, having scoring from the 3rd line is a luxury, at least that that is what I was told earlier when I said the deal was at a bad time.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...good God you'd think Cody Hodgson was the second coming or something.

Lets not annoint the guy as a difference maker quite yet.

Richards, Kopitar and Stoll would be chewing him up and spitting him out in this series.
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

donlever wrote:...good God you'd think Cody Hodgson was the second coming or something.

Richards, Kopitar and Stoll would be chewing him up and spitting him out in this series.
Will it be Reef or GM who suggests Kesler for Cody?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

I liked Cody as much as the next guy, watched him a ton in junior and through his first couple of years as a Canuck. He's going to be a very good player, not sure what his ceiling is but he'll be an NHLer for a long time.

That said, all the Canuck fans who seem to think he's the missing link should look at Buffalo and what Cody did there. He scored 8 points in 20 games and didn't do a damn thing to help them get into the playoffs. I guess the thinking is if he was still on Vancouver he'd be spectacular - but it's odd thinking to say the least.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

3 lines that could score, well except for that third line that had 2 goals in 20 games before the trade.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

donlever wrote:...good God you'd think Cody Hodgson was the second coming or something.

lol - never said that, he did provide goals at the right time and he did make the 2nd line PP better no denying that.

Good one Mr Top, keep it up.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Probably, but then you could use Kesler in that shut down role against the Richards', Kopitar's, and Stolls' of this world.......just as the Canucks used Kesler to shut down Toews and Thornton last year (while still being a threat offensively).

You look at the GF and GA percentage before and after the Hodgson deal, and you'll notice that the GA percentage isn't a whole different. You look at the GF percentage however and it reveals a whole different story.

This isn't the bible bro. These are just facts.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Farhan Lalji wrote:You look at the GF and GA percentage before and after the Hodgson deal, and you'll notice that the GA percentage isn't a whole different. You look at the GF percentage however and it reveals a whole different story.
It's actually been in decline for most of the year.

October: 2.82 G/G (31G in 11GP)
November to the Bruins game: 3.64 G/G (102 G in 28 GP)
Bruins game to the trade deadline: 2.95 G/G (59 G in 20 GP)
Trade deadline to end of Regular season: 2.5 G/G (45 G in 18 GP)

Interestingly enough, Cody Hodson was relatively hot during that productive period - 21 of his 33 points as a Canuck came in that stretch. Outside of that period Hodgson contributed little or no offense (12 P in 32 GP) and the Canucks offensive production was middling at best.

My guess is that the Canucks saw Hodgson as a player that would be productive at some times (and a key to victory during those times) and a complete liability otherwise.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

MG's door has always been open to the players.

"I've spent more time dealing with Cody's issues than all of the other players put together in the past three years."

Selfish little puke.
2011..... the one that got away.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
You look at the GF and GA percentage before and after the Hodgson deal, and you'll notice that the GA percentage isn't a whole different. You look at the GF percentage however and it reveals a whole different story.
Additionally Cody was a much more dangerous player offensively out there, with creating scoring chances a heck of a lot more than most of the forwards on the Canucks, sans the twins line.

Anyways Kass just needs to workout hard this offseason, absorb a lot at training camp/preseason, and if he's quicker/stronger with and without the puck maybe he makes the squad, if not a few months/half a season in the AHL should help him with timing/systems etc, basically be a better hockey player overall.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

If you also look at the numbers you will see that for the 15 games leading up to the trade the Hodgson line was absolutely terrible at generating chances and putting points on the board. Any winger that played on that line had worse stats than before or after being on the line. When Pahlsson was brought in the third line was far more effective at everything. The loss of scoring can not be attributed to the loss of Hodgson. No way no how.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

tantalum wrote:If you also look at the numbers you will see that for the 15 games leading up to the trade the Hodgson line was absolutely terrible at generating chances and putting points on the board. Any winger that played on that line had worse stats than before or after being on the line. When Pahlsson was brought in the third line was far more effective at everything. The loss of scoring can not be attributed to the loss of Hodgson. No way no how.

Selling Hodgson article

http://canucksarmy.com/2012/4/24/gillis ... nced-stats
cheers
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Canucks army claiming to use advanced stats is like Yugo claiming to build cars.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Words from Elliot Friedman
4. In the March 6 edition of this blog, I mentioned that Vancouver "targeted" a few players in a possible Cody Hodgson deal. Zack Kassian was one, obviously. I also noted Brandon Sutter, who the Carolina Hurricanes love, and made an educated guess at John Carlson (which appears to be true). Canucks GM Mike Gillis said Tuesday there were six players. According to a couple of sources, sounds like the fourth was Erik Gudbranson and the fifth Kyle Clifford. No. 6? Not sure.
cheers
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Fred wrote:Words from Elliot Friedman
4. In the March 6 edition of this blog, I mentioned that Vancouver "targeted" a few players in a possible Cody Hodgson deal. Zack Kassian was one, obviously. I also noted Brandon Sutter, who the Carolina Hurricanes love, and made an educated guess at John Carlson (which appears to be true). Canucks GM Mike Gillis said Tuesday there were six players. According to a couple of sources, sounds like the fourth was Erik Gudbranson and the fifth Kyle Clifford. No. 6? Not sure.
Clifford, seriously?? At most, he is a third liner. Kassian at worst can put up better numbers than Clifford.

Kassian, 44GP 4G 6A -2, 0.23PPG
Clifford, 157GP 12G 14A -15, 0.17PPG