Canucks get Zack Kassian

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Legend

Re: Canucks get Zack Kassian

Post by donlever »

Island Nucklehead wrote: I look forward to a new approach from behind the bench next season.
If this all comes to fruition (and I agree that AV has to go if we lose this series...the message needs to change) it will be interesting to see where GMMG goes.

Craig McTavish?

That'll be the end of my wife following the team.....(she's a hater for the most obvious reason)
DeLevering since 1999.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

donlever wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: I look forward to a new approach from behind the bench next season.
If this all comes to fruition (and I agree that AV has to go if we lose this series...the message needs to change) it will be interesting to see where GMMG goes.

Craig McTavish?

That'll be the end of my wife following the team.....(she's a hater for the most obvious reason)

Same with my wife as well Mr. Lever
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The thing with Mac T is that he knows the kids in Chicago and will be better suited to seeing they get playing time. With his years with the Oilers he had to handle the young kids. So I guess it depends upon whether we plan to have some of those kids in Chicago on the team next year. I fear they won't get a fair shake from AV but they just might get a chance under Mac T.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

okcanuck wrote:
donlever wrote:

Craig McTavish?

Same with my wife as well Mr. Lever
Drives them MADD?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Yes
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

What did MacT do? Sorry don't follow players/coaches as much as I used to but based upon the MADD reference can I assume drinking and driving???

ODB - thanks for that.
Last edited by 2Fingers on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Reefer2 wrote:What did MacT do? Sorry don't follow players/coaches as much as I used to but based upon the MADD reference can I assume drinking and driving???
He killed someone while behind the wheel drunk.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Credit to MacTavish for making his amends as much as he can with that situation. He has fully acknowledged he was a complete idiot and it was a horrible decision and beyond horrible outcome. He owned up to it, got sober, served his year in jail AND has since become a friend of the family of the guy he killed.

With all that said I assume Sauve has his head on a swivel....
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...hmmmn.

Good for him for doing all that indeed.

I am aware, first hand knowledge, of some goings on (alleged of course for site purposes) post being set free from the slam. This is where the wife comes in to the proceedings being as she lived in Edmonton at the time.

Took him a while longer to figure it all out apparently.....
DeLevering since 1999.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

donlever wrote:...hmmmn.

Good for him for doing all that indeed.

I am aware, first hand knowledge, of some goings on (alleged of course for site purposes) post being set free from the slam. This is where the wife comes in to the proceedings being as she lived in Edmonton at the time.

Took him a while longer to figure it all out apparently.....
yes it did take him awhile. I didn't mean to make it sound like he went to court all clean and sober, served his time and came out a changed man. Wasn't my intention anyways. He had a big problem and that takes time to solve/fix. The Oilers of the 80's hey days did A LOT of partying. Most teams did. Heck there was a reason a certain very successful Flames goaltender couldn't win an afternoon game in Calgary...of course he couldn't as he was being rolled out of a downtown bar at 2 am.

edit: it was also a woman he struck and killed. No idea why I said man.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

For a good read on MacT:

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/n ... 8d53d83a01
MacTavish's character helped him get through the most distressing time of his life, which came after he was drinking at a bar on Jan. 29, 1984, then drove home, colliding with another car on his way, killing that car's driver, 26-year-old Kim Radley.

At the time MacTavish had moved up from the college ranks and was a promising 26-year-old forward on the Boston Bruins. He pleaded guilty to vehicular homicide and spent a full year in jail, the first few months in a small cell with a pail for a toilet.

The Oilers were the first of four teams to approach him in jail about resuming his NHL career, and Boston let him go without compensation so he could start his life again in a new setting.

MacTavish paid for his crime, not only by doing time, but by speaking at numerous schools about the dangers of drunk driving and by serving as the honorary chairman of Edmonton's CheckStop anti-drunk-driving program.

He also forged a bond with Kim Radley's parents, Ron and Hazel Foote. They visited MacTavish in jail and forgave him for his crime. Out of this visit came a relationship that has lasted to this day, with Hazel still sending a card to MacTavish on his birthday. "I have a great deal of respect for Craig MacTavish," she says. "He was a young man who made a tragic mistake and was extremely sorry for it. I regard him very highly."
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

ODB wrote: So jump ahead to R1 G3!

Kassian plays 3:55! Are you shitting me? Three minutes and fifty-five seconds!!!
Wiese played less than 2 minutes, Lapierre played about 8 minutes and Malhotra played less than 9. It's a combination of the Canucks spending a lot of time on the PK, the Canucks having more forward depth this year than last year, and AV shortening up his bench. Even strength, Kassian played only 9 seconds less than Malhotra. Instead of rolling out a 4th line, Kassian ust had Lapierre filling in on the top 3 lines.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I thought we had a good 4th line that would be able to play???
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Reefer2 wrote:I thought we had a good 4th line that would be able to play???
The 4th line is the least of their problems
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

It's quite simple:

IF the Canucks, under their current make up, are to be a successful team, then they need to have one of the following:

A) Two extremely dominant scoring lines.
B) Three good lines that can score.

This of course, is under the assumption that the health of out 'D' is there for the most part, while our goaltending is above average (as it tends to be whether we have Lou or Schneider in there).

My problem with the Canucks is that the Sedin line tends to always get shut down whenever we face a team that has an elite shut down pairing. When this happens, we NEED to have either the 2nd line be almost as potent as the first line, or have atleast the 2nd line and 3rd line be able to produce consistently.

Last year during the regular season, the Canucks had two very dominant lines. The Sedin line lit the league on fire, while Kesler raped in 41 goals or so. In the playoffs however - the Sedins' got shut down against Chicago, Nashville, and Boston (elite shut down D pairings), while Kesler got injured from the San Jose series onwards (and against Chicago, he played a defensive shut down role against Toews).

This year - the Canucks had 3 lines that could score........until they traded Hodgson. Now - they need their top two lines to produce. Unfortunately, Dan is hurt while Kesler is not the player that he was last year.

The point I'm trying to make is this:

At this stage in his career, it really doesn't matter as to how much time Zack Kassian gets. He could very well be a terrific player down the road, but at this stage, he's nothing more than Byron Bitz at worst or Raffi Torres on his best day. This could very well be the case for next year as well.

All of a sudden, all of my ideas of us getting Lecavlier or another top line forward doesn't make me sound like I have poo on my face after all.