Bald Ankles

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Bald Ankles

Post by Island Nucklehead »

The Canucks lack good-ol Canadian heart. Plain and simple.
old calamari wrote:Vignault has to go if they get swept as well as Kesler he is a fucking embarassment on display for the fans of this team. By playing Schneider instead of Luongo tells me that he is pretty well finished in Vancouver. Get rid of both and you free up 10mill right there. Trade them both to Toronto for Gardiner and a 1st or Shenn and a first just get rid of them.
AV is gone when we lose this series. This team said all year the Playoffs were what mattered, and they have choked in epic fashion. At least the Penguins can score and stick up for eachother, and are playing the Flyers...

I agree about Kesler. He's miles away from the guy that showed up against Nashville last season. He's been owned by the reborn Mike Richards. He's flopping all over the ice. He's pouting. It's a disgrace. I like the Getzlaf trade idea. Big body. Not a diving coward. Great playmaker that will make Booth more effective etc. etc. Both have had "bad" seasons so Anaheim might actually go for it.

Edler has been a tragic fucking disaster. Truly awful hockey. Makes Casual Kev look like Bobby Orr. He's been that bad. I don't know if it's time to give up on him just yet, but the idea of giving him a big money raise really turns me off...

Also agree about Luongo. There is almost no way you can go back to him next season. Do him, and everyone, a favour and move him to Tampa for their First (10th overall) and Second round picks.

This team needs to eat its humble pie, get their ego's in check, and come back next year ready to play hockey and acutally pay the price to Win a Cup. It looks like they simply expected to get back to the Finals.

On a personal level, almost no chance I buy the Centre Ice package next season. The NHL can fuck right off...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote:HW, MG replaced a streaky scoring Samuelson with a streaky scoring booth.

Adding Paulson was a no brainer.

Ask yourself, where would Cody be playing in today's line up, he showed he cannot play wing and he is such a defensive liability could he handle any of the King's top three lines. Not a chance.

Like I said I liked the Booth trade and I think he can turn it around and next season. But I wonder whether trading Raymond instead of Samuelsson would have been a better idea. I wouldn't undo the trade if the piece that went to Florida still had to be Samuelsson.

I have no problem with the Pahlson trade.

But I am second guessing the Hodgson move. Not so much that he was traded but what he was traded for.

What I lament the most is that our top six are not top six. Last year they played like it this year they could not. I don't think Hodgson was the answer either. Thats why I advocate a change. Keep the Sedins and Burrows together, drop Kesler to 3rd line and create an offensive line with that other rookie down the middle.

I would rather be the Canucks that most other teams. I think we are still very competitive in the West and will make the playoffs next year as well. I think we can still contend for the cup but I see the holes. Same holes most of us talked about in the off season.

1) a true number one D'man
2) another true top six forward
3) A big strong forward who can play 10-15 minutes a night and be a real deterrent.

MG may have filled one of those in Kassian but he isn't there yet buy any stretch. I'm more than prepared to give him time but how he shows up to camp will speak volumes.

What MG could not address was top D'man. He though he was addressing a top 6 in Booth and for a while it looked like maybe he had then the injury hit. If Booth can rediscover his scoring touch then fine. Kesler and Booth should not be on the same line. Booth in particular needs a set up guy. Maybe he would be better suited with the twins next year and maybe he needs a longer look see there.

The biggest need I see for next year is a 2nd line centre with offensive potential. Maybe we have that in the system and hopefully time will tell.

As for trades. Ya, If Luongo will waive to go to Tampa I think we could get a nice return. His cap is only 5.3 but coming off the books would help in trying to land a FA.

Like everyone, well almost everyone, I am disappointed and a little surprised. But I don't feel the disappointment I felt last year. I still think we have a solid core to build around.
The only HW the Canucks need
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

donlever wrote:...yeah, it's really a shame that Booth has so much trouble with the puck on the half boards and in traffic.

Wheels, will, size, physical. good shot, but his hands, while not of pure stone, are far from soft and deft.

A real shame.

Could be a hell of a player.
Maybe I'm being overly critical but the more I watch Booth the more I begin to think that he has little if any hockey sense. Like you said he's a tremendous skater, he's physical, hands not so much and I would add most of the time it seems he's lost out there and rarely seems to anticipate where he should be to allow a play to develop.

Having said that playing with Kesler doesn't make it any easier. Neither like to pass. It seems that both Booth and Kesler have similar tendencies and think that when you are in the opposition zone with the puck the main idea is to work yourself into position for a shot, regardless of how many people you have to beat or where you happen to end up, and L.A. has certainly picked up on it.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Farhan Lalji wrote: What the hell was Gillis thinking on trade deadline day? :?
I have a feeling he was thinking the boys don't have enough gas in the tank for a long run, especially after half the lineup had off-season surgery in less than 2 months before training camp.

I saw a photo of Burrows in street clothes and couldn't believe how scrawny he looked. I think it was the shot of the guys saying goodbye to Hodgson on deadline day.
Where was Kassian when Brown nailed Henrik? Or when Keith nailed Daniel? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
I think they were both thinking they'd better turtle like hell.

Can someone explain to me what you're supposed to do when the transgressor shamelessly turtles from every challenger? If Burrows can't even get them to fight, is a 4th line goon going to? Keith in particular had his choice of 4 or 5 guys who wanted to fight him, but he took the low road.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Doesn't it get a bit tiresome to watch your best players get bitchslapped and kicked around the ice like a fucking soccer ball.?

Gillis must be a fucking masochist to watch this shit.

Duncan Keith elbows your best winger in the melon and the Canucks facewash him and hump his leg.

Dustin Brown blows up your best player and Alex Burrows has a wrestling match with Anze Kopitar.

Teams don't even lube the Canucks up when they assram them these days.

What a joke

Brown should have gotten his melon caved in. I guess Luggage Eyes will lob Shanny a call and cry to him .
So, ya think we should try and get Colton Orr, Goddard or someone like that? Will that be what helps us score?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Doesn't it get a bit tiresome to watch your best players get bitchslapped and kicked around the ice like a fucking soccer ball.?

Duncan Keith elbows your best winger in the melon and the Canucks facewash him and hump his leg.

Dustin Brown blows up your best player and Alex Burrows has a wrestling match with Anze Kopitar.

What a joke

Brown should have gotten his melon caved in. I guess Luggage Eyes will lob Shanny a call and cry to him .
So, ya think we should try and get Colton Orr, Goddard or someone like that? Will that be what helps us score?
They need testicles and scoring. You need to stop acting like a 13 year old.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote: The biggest need I see for next year is a 2nd line centre with offensive potential. Maybe we have that in the system and hopefully time will tell.
I just find that effin' hilarious, we just had one, but gave him away for 4th line Meat and Potatoes. But I'm a troll for saying so. ;)
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

What a joke

They need testicles and scoring. You need to stop acting like a 13 year old.
So, what do you propose Blobby?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: The biggest need I see for next year is a 2nd line centre with offensive potential. Maybe we have that in the system and hopefully time will tell.
I just find that effin' hilarious, we just had one, but gave him away for 4th line Meat and Potatoes. But I'm a troll for saying so. ;)

It's not what you say all the time its how you enjoy being a jerk about it. I think a lot of what you say has merit but you lose me with the trolling behaviour. Its like you take great pleasure in the Canucks losing and can't wait for failure to say I told you so.

I'm not sold that CoHo was the answer but I can concede at this point that he may have been a much better option than Kassian and MAG. I don't know about the future.

Would you trade Cory to Edmonton for the 1st overall pick and then draft the Bure wanna be?
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Coho wasn't the answer . RD was all over the kid like ugly on an ape until the day he was traded and then he became a fan. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Coho will be a decent 2nd line centre. Think Brendan Morrison with a better shot but way worse wheels. 5 ft 10 in heels but the books say they are 5ft 11 - 6 ft. Small, weak players who can score a few points and make some nice plays but disappear when the going gets tough.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

RoyalDude wrote:
Do you understand how to interact with human beings without pissing them off?

I'm just asking man. Nothing personal to you.

Obviously, based on the current goal scoring problems your Vancouver Canucks are having and being down 3-0 in the series, you were correct in your observation that the Vancouver Canucks management made a bad decision to move to a more traditional 3rd line checking role as opposed the the system that made the Canucks successful which is having three interchangeable scoring lines.

Ok. Now that's is out of the way. You DO realize that most of us on this board are pretty emotionally unstable at this point of time due to our expectations of this team. Some of us are angry and some of us are sad. And really, the last thing that we need is RD being an asshole with his "I told you so" attitude.

For the record, I was very much against bringing Kassian on board as well (if you recall) but it really doesn't matter anymore does it? We don't have Coho and we have Kassian and that's reality.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

ESQ wrote:Can someone explain to me what you're supposed to do when the transgressor shamelessly turtles from every challenger? If Burrows can't even get them to fight, is a 4th line goon going to? Keith in particular had his choice of 4 or 5 guys who wanted to fight him, but he took the low road.
Deterrents don't work.

The dirtiest team in the league (Boston) with several guys who will drop them (Chara, Lucic, Thornton, McQuade, Horton, etc, etc) and a couple who are unmatched either in their class (Lucic) or by anyone (Chara) have lost players to huge hits over the last few years.. while those guys were on the ice.

If Gillis went out and got Kassian to give the Canucks forward group more size and nastiness, great. If he got him so the Sedins wouldn't have to keep their heads up (I'm not saying you're making that argument), then he is a fool.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

just noticed this thread the other day when some spamster bumped it up.

some interesting comments on our ineffective 2nd line,down 3-0 in the L.A. series the emotions were a little raw,but the common consensus was that the 2nd line was shite.
Kesler had some of his best success while playing with Higgins,while that has been revisited w/o the previous results it's apparent playing with Booth aint gonna work.
Hockey Widow wrote: What I lament the most is that our top six are not top six. Last year they played like it this year they could not. I don't think Hodgson was the answer either. Thats why I advocate a change. Keep the Sedins and Burrows together, drop Kesler to 3rd line and create an offensive line with that other rookie down the middle.

I would rather be the Canucks that most other teams. I think we are still very competitive in the West and will make the playoffs next year as well. I think we can still contend for the cup but I see the holes. Same holes most of us talked about in the off season.

1) a true number one D'man
2) another true top six forward
3) A big strong forward who can play 10-15 minutes a night and be a real deterrent.

MG may have filled one of those in Kassian but he isn't there yet buy any stretch. I'm more than prepared to give him time but how he shows up to camp will speak volumes.

What MG could not address was top D'man. He though he was addressing a top 6 in Booth and for a while it looked like maybe he had then the injury hit. If Booth can rediscover his scoring touch then fine. Kesler and Booth should not be on the same line. Booth in particular needs a set up guy. Maybe he would be better suited with the twins next year and maybe he needs a longer look see there.

The biggest need I see for next year is a 2nd line centre with offensive potential. Maybe we have that in the system and hopefully time will tell.

As for trades. Ya, If Luongo will waive to go to Tampa I think we could get a nice return. His cap is only 5.3 but coming off the books would help in trying to land a FA.

Like everyone, well almost everyone, I am disappointed and a little surprised. But I don't feel the disappointment I felt last year. I still think we have a solid core to build around.
+1
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

+2

I've called for a second line centre seems for ever. Currently we are not getting the bang for opur buck with either Kesler or Booth. Kesler played some of his best hockey on the wing with Sundin.

Just thinking,
how about Kristian Huselius- Best passer left out there. Will likely come for 3 million or less
. Assuming he is not injured again.
cheers
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Speaking of tough guys Weise filed for arbitration.
benkuzma
With grinder salaries rising, Canucks assistant GM Gilman not shocked Weise has filed for arbitration. Part of process, deal still possible.
Never heard of Rechlicz, but maybe he could be a cheap option.
SunGarrioch
Joel Rechlicz is the toughest player outside NHL. Averaged 6.8 PIMs and 2nd in AHL in 23 games last year. Teams would love to have him.
Is Georges Laraque not a option?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.