Rally Caps thread - Playoffs 2012.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Rally Caps thread - Playoffs 2012.

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Hi everyone ... how are the emotions today? :cry:

I'm good... thanks. :|

Being the always-optimistic-rose-colored-glasses Canuck fan that I am I am going to go out on a limb here and say that we will be alright. We probably aren't going to win this series but to call it an embarrassment would be a pretty big misconception. We haven't played "embarrassingly" and we definitely haven't deserved to lose every game this series.

I would love to have a laundry list of excuses why the Canucks are down 0-3 to an 8th seeded team (referees, conspiracy, coaching, injuries, etc) but that would be just that, an excuse. Sometimes even the best of teams can fall short. Upsets happen every year. Should we be ultra-sensitive that our beloved Canucks are on the receiving end of an upset? Yes ... we can because we love this team. We have expectations that aren't being met. That is a great thing ... in a weird sort of way. ;)

What a nice problem to have ... really 8-) . Our team's success is measured in playoff wins, not just simply making the playoffs. That puts us in the top 5 organizations IMO. Not too many other teams can legitimately make that claim. I would say that 70% of the teams that make the playoffs are just "happy to be there". They can pull out any cliches and quotes that they want but most of those organizations would secretly admit that they are just glad they get to play some extra games. The players on the other hand, all want to make it to the dance. I don't claim complacency from the players, just the organizations, ownership, and fan bases of most of the respective NHL clubs.

Was I expecting a long playoff run this year? Of course I was. I don't expect less from this group. Call me conceited or stupid but that is the pedigree that we have established with this club. Once again, it's a good problem to have. 25 or so other fan bases wish they had the expectations year in and year out that we do. The fact is, not too many teams can realistically make that claim.

Looking at the BIG picture, we are in great shape. There is solid ownership, management, coaching and players. Back to back presidents trophies, a game 7 loss in the finals on top of four consecutive division titles will back that claim up. If we look at the SMALL picture, a snapshot of where we sit right now (down 0-3 in the first round) one could claim that we are a failing organization, but that would be a false statement. We should consider ourselves lucky to have a competitive team year in and year out.

Speaking of competitive teams by the way ... this series isn't over yet. The Vancouver Canucks are a highly-skilled, excellent hockey club. We haven't lost more than 3 in a row all season and I am sure they don't plan on beating that record in April. Should we fear the LA kings ? No, but they deserve our respect. LA is a very well coached team and a finely tuned machine. They have world class goal tending right now and they are doing all the little things just right. They are also healthy. That makes a huge difference in the scope of any team, playoff or not.

The Canucks on the other hand, are not playing the way that they can. They have shown glimpses in the series but for whatever reason they cant seem to get it going. It's literally do or die time now. If they don't win the next four games, quite frankly they don't deserve to advance ... and that is OK with me. If the Kings win, they deserve every bit of it.

Win on Wednesday. One small victory could completely jump start this team. One weak goal on Quick and this team might see some light at the end of the tunnel. These guys aren't emotionally fragile little babies that are living in defeat. They are an excellent hockey club that is facing elimination, big difference.

They need no extra motivation, it is do or die time. Every shift, every shot, and every hit has to count. Let's find out what we are made of.

Believe
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Rally Caps thread - Playoffs 2012.

Post by clem »

Your optimism is almost infectious.

Our best hope is:
1/ we get some bad ice bounces (& maybe a Quick collision) for victory on Wedn (18th);
2/ Daniel plays on Sunday (22nd).
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

You know this series - well, our powerplay in this series and the series itself - sort of reminds me of the Blackhawks series last year and our penalty kill in the Kings series in 2010.

The Canucks went into a brutal skid, threw on the brakes but really didn't have anything to show for it in the W column, and then finally turned things around.

Last night the Canucks played well, their powerplay was not a momentum killer and they were probably the better team.

If they can grind out an ugly win on Wednesday it's entirely possible that their hard work and commitment might start paying off in game 5 (and 6 and 7, if it gets to that point).
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...except Chicago played game 4 at home.

We are an awesome road team however.

:look:
DeLevering since 1999.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Well, with that series 3&4 was the slide. Game 5 marked the start of the turnaround, game 6 IMO the Canucks were unlucky not to win and in game 7 they got it done.

In the Kings series if I recall correctly the Canucks could not kill a penalty to save their lives and the turnaround started with just getting 90-100 seconds into the kill before the Kings scored. If I recall they lost that game before finally making the adjustments needed to stop surrendering PP goals and win a game.

Here's hoping that last night was the game the Canucks deserved to win and did not, because no matter what they deserve they can't lose another.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

....personally I think you're grasping at straws but hey, I'm there with ya.

Go team, rah rah.
DeLevering since 1999.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

donlever wrote:....personally I think you're grasping at straws but hey, I'm there with ya.
Well it's either that or start critiquing Farhan's trade proposals..
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

dbr wrote:
donlever wrote:....personally I think you're grasping at straws but hey, I'm there with ya.
Well it's either that or start critiquing Farhan's trade proposals..

:shock:

..so about the comparisons from the past two years Dave?
DeLevering since 1999.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

No critiquing those. :evil:
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Trade:

To Anaheim: Sedin twins, ???
To Vancouver: Perry and Getzlaf.

To Columbus: Kesler and Luongo.
To Vancouver: Nash, ???

Nash-Getzlaf-Perry
Burrows-Lapierre-Booth
Higgins-Pahlsson-Hansen
some shit

Canucks digress a bit as a team in terms of their regular season prowess, but become war horses in the playoffs with that top line.......a line that would carry this team by its ball sack when it mattered most.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Farhan Lalji wrote:GM swooping in with a drug induced trade proposal.....

Awesome my man.

:lol:
DeLevering since 1999.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

I'm with dbr.

We're definitely due a win in this series, and game 5 at home is key.

I'd be a lot more worried if we were playing a team that was clearly more talented and had dominated us for 3 straight games. This should be a 2-1 series, and it could have gone either way.

Alas, that may all be irrelevant if the Canucks don't score goals on Wednesday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Farhan Lalji wrote:Trade:

To Anaheim: Sedin twins, ???
To Vancouver: Perry and Getzlaf.

To Columbus: Kesler and Luongo.
To Vancouver: Nash, ???

Nash-Getzlaf-Perry
Burrows-Lapierre-Booth
Higgins-Pahlsson-Hansen
some shit

Canucks digress a bit as a team in terms of their regular season prowess, but become war horses in the playoffs with that top line.......a line that would carry this team by its ball sack when it mattered most.
Do you ever tire of tangoing alone?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

coco_canuck wrote:I'm with dbr.

We're definitely due a win in this series, and game 5 at home is key.
Well, you have been saying that for 3 games now. Process of elimination?

coco_canuck wrote: I'd be a lot more worried if we were playing a team that was clearly more talented and had dominated us for 3 straight games. This should be a 2-1 series, and it could have gone either way.

Alas, that may all be irrelevant if the Canucks don't score goals on Wednesday.
I admire your sensibilities and respect your rational outlook (especially in the face of the GDT Armageddon...laugh my fukin ass off at that one).

Personally I think our goose is cooked (I think the timer went off about the time that Brown scored last night).

I'll cheer to the end of course but I think my time is being poorly managed in doing so....
DeLevering since 1999.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Stop hijacking threads with trade proposals Farhan!!! :lol:

Look people, I am as realistic as anyone but if we stop believing now, we might as well be throwing in the towel. When it's all said and done I would much rather be able to say I never gave up than "I told you so" or " I knew it." I think that the direction of the majority of this board is leaning toward the latter, and that's too bad. Maybe I'm a blind man following my heart here, but the last time I checked this series wasn't over yet.

The purpose of the thread was to shed light on the fact that we are probably going to have a short postseason ... but it (improbable comebacks) has happened before. Nothing is impossible. I'm not guaranteeing anything but there is still hope. One goal might be all it takes to spark this team. Somethings gotta give ...
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.