GDT: Game 3 Vancouver @ LA Kings - April 15 7:30pm - CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Re: GDT: Game 3 Vancouver @ LA Kings - April 15 7:30pm - CBC

Post by Farhan Lalji »

ukcanuck wrote:Are we dissecting the season now or waiting one more game?
Cause even though schneider gave up that rebound, it was way more comfortable with him in there than Roberto. Every time the puck goes anywhere near Luongo I'm white knuckling the lazyboy...
I completely agree with you about Schneider.

If I'm Gillis, I'm keeping onto Schneider.

Although given the "intelligence" Gillis displayed at the trade deadline this year, perhaps we can expect Schneider to be traded to Edmonton for Ben Eager and an 8th round pick. :?

Luongo needs to be dealt in the offseason, and the Canucks should progress with Schneider from here on out.

Luongo wasn't perfect here, but he deserves a city that will appreciate him a lot more. Amazing how Lou got criticized so much over the last few years while the twins hardly got any criticism whatsoever (relatively speaking).

4 goals in 3 games. 8 goals in 7 games last year.

Gillis - you paying attention there bro?
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Farhan Lalji wrote:They are the inverse of guys like Dustin Brown and Joe Sakic unfortunately (i.e. carrying the team when we need them).
Are you seriously comparing that pussy to Sakic?? If AV is man enough, he would have put Kassian out to take care of that little bitch. This team really misses Torres. As much as an asshole he is, the Canucks are just not stinky enough up front. When pussies like Doughty and Brown are getting away with dirty hits like these, you need a wreckless guy like Torres to response.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Cornuck wrote:I put the goal on Edler for leaving Brown wide open. A Ginger can only do so much.
Was it Edler? I thought it was Pahlsson (sp?) who by the way seems to not be the same guy who played for the Ducks in their cup year...
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Cornuck wrote:I put the goal on Edler for leaving Brown wide open. A Ginger can only do so much.
Agreed.

Speaking of Brown, what a player eh? He's definitely not the best player in the league but he damn sure knows how to "bring it" when it matters most. Ditto for Mike Richards.

Outside of the San Jose series, can we honestly ever say that the Sedin twins have elevated their game come playoff time? (or atleast matched their regular season efforts).

Nope.

But then again - it all gets ignored for the most part. Naturally, everything is Luongo's fault. :|
rufus
AHL Prospect

Post by rufus »

The case could be made that we could easily up 2-1 but I won't make it.

This is not the same team we were used to seeing up until the last 20 games or so. No offense, no power play, no second round. The only question now is who starts the next game.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Jovocop wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:They are the inverse of guys like Dustin Brown and Joe Sakic unfortunately (i.e. carrying the team when we need them).
Are you seriously comparing that pussy to Sakic??
Yes. I seriously am. Hate on Dustin Brown all you want, but the guy flat out "brings it" big time when the post-season starts. He elevates his game when it matters most. Mike Richards to.

Hank and Dan on the other hand, do the exact opposite whenever faced with an elite shut down pairing/elite shut down center/elite goalie.

Think think think. Last year in the Eastern Conference finals, Tampa Bay scored 20+ goals on Tim Thomas thanks in large part to Stamkos and St. Louis. Against Nashville last year in the first round, Rinne was getting lit up by Perry, Getzlaf, and Selanne.......but when we played them, the twins couldn't do shit.

Either bring in another superstar forward that can give the Canucks a NEW #1 line (which makes the twins our 2nd line in the post-season.......making them free from elite shut down guys), or trade the twins out of here while they still have value.

And for those that think I'm overreacting, let me ask you this: If you could go back in time and trade Naslund and Bertuzzi after the 2004 season ended, would you?
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

my DUB team is out...my NHL team is kaput(almost)...fuck...
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

It's an outright embarrassment as a fan to cheer for an organization that doesn't learn from the past.

This game is all on Vigneault and his system, a couple players were stupid, and Edler stands out as being a train wreck, but when you control the flow of the play for 45 minutes of a game, and the only mistake you make ends up costing the game (and probably the series), then something is wrong.

Did Vancouver control the puck for most of the night? Yes. Did they outshoot the opponent? Yes. Did they get any second shot opportunities? Not really. Did they capitalize on the PP? Not at all. So what is the reason for all these negative answers?

It's the system. Our shots from the outside were either swallowed up by Quick, which is a kudos to the goalie, the rebounds went to the corner or open ice where there was never a Canuck jersey in sight. They stacked one side of the ice with 4 guys and left the far pointman all alone doing nothing but being a support guy. If that support guy doesn't engage in back door attempts or get down to the wing for rebounds off shots from the boards then the defense really only has to worry about 4 guys. That makes the PP nothing more than a high-pressure 4-on-4, and at even strength it's just a joke to watch. Boston shut us down this way. LA shut us down this way all season and have in 3 straight games. On the rush we never have 3 guys filling the lanes, and I just laugh and wonder why when I see all these classic playoff highlights of goals where it's a rush of 3 guys, one in each lane, and the result is really nice goal. But we don't play that way, they aren't coached that way.

This team will do NOTHING with Vigneault as coach. NOTHING. If every team played defense and setup the way LA, Boston, and Nashville do, when they played us, the Canucks would have the worst record in the NHL. Our goalies would have disgustring records but be rivaling for Vezina's on performance based stats.

I could go on and on about other things, like how the league is a fucking joke, how officiating is really in the tank when a guy like Brown throws a predatory, blindsided hit, that contacts the head, on our best player and the Canucks end up shorthanded facing a 4-on-3 PK situation that then becomes a 5-on-3 for a short time.

I could talk about how Alex Edler has single-handedly sunk this team by turning the puck over on the winner in game 1, or by turning the puck over for the opening goal of game 2 and then taking a delay of game penalty to put us down 5-on-3 shortly after, or by completely missing his check for the game winner in game 3, and then taking a delay of game penalty because he was afraid to take a hit with 2 minutes left to go.....

I could point to so many things, but there is little point when the team's strategist is sending the troops out to March on Gallipoli because he thinks his way is the right way even when intelligence reports are clearly showing it's not.....it's why I said after last game, Kings in 4.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Agreed.

Speaking of Brown, what a player eh? He's definitely not the best player in the league but he damn sure knows how to "bring it" when it matters most. Ditto for Mike Richards.

Outside of the San Jose series, can we honestly ever say that the Sedin twins have elevated their game come playoff time? (or atleast matched their regular season efforts).

Nope.

But then again - it all gets ignored for the most part. Naturally, everything is Luongo's fault. :|
Hank is trying out there, make no mistake, he just has nobody to pass to right now and the coach isn't drawing up a gameplan that will let him create because the other guys are so static in their positioning.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

rufus wrote:The case could be made that we could easily up 2-1 but I won't make it.

This is not the same team we were used to seeing up until the last 20 games or so. No offense, no power play, no second round. The only question now is who starts the next game.
Agreed on all accounts.

Canucks should be up 2-1 in this series, but perhaps taking 'coasting' for the past 3 months for the most part has made the difference.

The "on-switch?" My ass. Maybe next year, the Canucks won't take half the fucking season off and "just get by" to beat the Columbus' and Edmonton's of this world.

p.s.___________Schneider should start next game and every single game for the forseeable future. If Gillis and Vigneault had any sense whatsoever, they would have done this after January 7th after we defeated Boston in the biggest regular season game in our franchise history. It's so obvious that the team actually does play slightly better when Schneider is in there..........and this became even more apparent after January 7th.

Luongo needs to be dealt in the off-season and I sincerely wish him the best.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

the Dogsalmon wrote:my DUB team is out...my NHL team is kaput(almost)...fuck...
Lincoln Stars start thier playoffs on Friday. I hope they're not the only team I'm cheering for at that point.. :?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Mëds wrote:
Hank is trying out there, make no mistake, he just has nobody to pass to right now and the coach isn't drawing up a gameplan that will let him create because the other guys are so static in their positioning.
He's definitely trying, but he just can't do shit when going up against elite shut down defensemen and/or centers. I guarantee that Daniel's presence wouldn't have made that much of a difference.........just as was the case against Boston, Nashville, and Chicago last year.

The twins are brilliant players, but they need to put in a setting where they aren't faced with those types of obstacles.

Hence - my suggestion that they do whatever they can to bring in a guy like Rick Nash..........otherwise, we could end up like the Washington Capitals and San Jose Sharks in terms of underdelivering in the playoffs.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

I sincerely apologize for being negative guys.

I love the Canucks and this series ain't over (and given the way we've played the last few games, I don't think it's completely absurd to atleast fantasize about the idea of us coming back and winning), but it's a long shot obviously.

I'm just frustrated.........

We should be up 2-1 in this series.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

I really only have anger for Edler tonight. There are only so many brutal fuck ups a fan can take from the same player. Pretty good game from everyone else. There some pretty brutal calls by the refs on both sides but our power play looked very good and wasn't momentum killing which is key.

Next game, instead of just throwing everything at the net, the Nucks will hold onto the puck just a little bit more and wait until there's traffic in front of Quick before shooting it.

We're going to win the next game on a deflected puck. Dank will then be available for the 5th game and with Dank back, the Nucks are going to go on a tear and force game 7. It's what is going to happen.

Believe in Blue.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Mëds wrote:
See... I think he does. I think the Burr/Hank/Hansen line is actually doing quite well.

But Hansen is no Daniel Sedin.

Hank is Datsyuk without Zetterberg.