GDT - R1G2 - Canucks vs Kings 7PM PST CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: GDT - R1G2 - Canucks vs Kings 7PM PST CBC

Post by rats19 »

Actually RD as negative as your posts are/appear they are a needed input to give yang to the Ying if u will. For me personally,as far as the team goes...I am a follower a sheeple . I get mad I get happy whatever, but your negative nancy wants also keep me grounded to some degree anyway...so I thank you for the other side of my shiny coin...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Nice post RD, reef, all this team needs is to calm down and keep things simple.

They are thinking too hard and they need to absolutely cut out the internet from here on out.

*edit* and for whatever reason this team plays way better with Schneider in net.
Last edited by SKYO on Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

I pretty much agree with everything Royaldude said..............but I'll also say this.......with the risk of sounding ridiculously cliche.

It ain't over till it's over. Period.

Canucks came back against the Flames from a 3-1 deficit in 1994 and look what happened. Boom.

In the early 90's, the Canucks came from behind to smoke the Jets in 7 after being down 3-1. Boom.

Detroit Redwings in 2002 and the Boston Bruins last year began both of their 1st round series down 2-0.....and came back to win......and then went on to win Stanley Cups. In fact - Boston were down 2-0 against us as well.

My point is this: Comebacks can happen, and it's not the end of the world if it doesn't. If the Canucks are destined to bow out it in 4-5 games in the first round this year? Great. Go have a long summer to recouperate, get your mind back on things, get some pussy, and start fresh for next season. Period. Meanwhile - Gillis can use one of Schneider or Luongo to get some much needed scoring help in the off-season. If Gillis ever had a chance to make up for the Hodgson deal, a Schneider or Lou deal would be it. Voila - we get another scoring forward back in return to give us 3 solid scoring lines again.

Either way - it's a win win scenerio. We win? We move towards winning a cup and becoming legends in the city of Vancouver. We lose? We have a nice off-season, make the necessary adjustments, and get pussy. If I'm a player on the Canucks, this would be my exact line of thought.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Lost the special teams battle, and lost the game.

I liked how they played 5-on-5, and I felt better after last night's game than I did after game 1.

It's the playoffs, and adversity is a major part of it. Great teams find a way to overcome it, and if our boys are as good as most of us think they are, then they'll find a way.

If they're not, then well have all summer to think about it and figure out what the best course of action is.

The time for "I told you so," and "blow this puppy up" isn't here yet.

But, the road to get back in the series got tougher with Kristin Reid's tweet today that Daniel will not travel to LA and will NOT play in the first round.

That's the rallying cry, and being down 0-2 is the stark reality staring them in the face. Win game 3, and the pressure is back on LA to not blow a 2-0 lead at home.

The series is far, far from over. I'm as disappointed as the next guy they lost the first two games, but a 2-0 lead in a playoff series can be as tenuous as an early 2-0 lead in a game.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Larry Goodenough wrote:
clem wrote:The Kings have been out working the Canucks & and showing more discipline . With Daniel gone there's no talent gap to compensate for work ethic. It's not unusual for Sutter teams to out work the Canucks.

?

I'll disagree. First, because you can't measure "work ethic". Second, I don't see how you can be "out worked" and still get almost 50 shots on net and double the scoring chances. Third, I don't know what your definition of "discipline" is, but just in the third period I saw Doughty losing his mind and screaming at Bieksa, then tomahawking Lapierre in the head, Brown jumping on Sedin inside the net, Richards elbowing Kesler. That's showing equal or less discipline.
Work ethic = a moral commitment to hard work = doing it on a consistent basis.

Discipline in hockey relates to being in the right position & taking the right man at the right time.
Scrums are part of play off intensity. Work hard & hold your own - just like on the boards - just like you do to take & hold the right position.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

I will also say this:

The city of Vancouver, for the most part, needs to become more levelheaded.

Pitsburgh is in the exact same boat as us and I don't see them PMS'ing for the most part. Fuck - it's a best of 7 series.

Canucks outplayed the Kings last night and if it wasn't for a few unlucky bounces here and there on our special teams, we would have won.

Hell - in recent years, we've seen THREE teams come from 3-0 series deficits to tie it at 3..........one of those teams that actually came all the way from behind.

One last thing - anyone with half a brain knows that the Kings aren't a "real" 8th place team. There is a reason why many hockey pundits predicted that they would come out of the West this year before the season started.

Fans and media need to chill out a bit and realize that this isn't a life or death issue.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Either way - it's a win win scenerio. We win? We move towards winning a cup and becoming legends in the city of Vancouver. We lose? We have a nice off-season, make the necessary adjustments, and get pussy. If I'm a player on the Canucks, this would be my exact line of thought.
:roll:

Fuck .. That .. Noise.

Win win? Maybe if you're retarded.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mondi wrote:The interesting thing is that outside of Erhoff (12 points), every key component from last season's playoff run is still on the team. Save perhaps Torres (7 points).

Samuelsson was injured before he went out. He only played 11 games and had 1 goal.
Hodgson did nothing in the playoffs, well he had one assist.

So you have Kassian instead of Tanner Glass, which is a saw off. And then you have Booth instead of Oreskovic?

So what gives?

Lack of confidence. And lack of Daniel Sedin.

This crap about needing a rebuild is hilarious. A rebuild? They had 111 points. Do you rebuild after that? I mean seriously, do you?

Their confidence is shot. This team has shown that in the face of adversity, over the past 4 season they have more often then not folded their tents. They are mentally soft and their confidence is shaken easily. When they are down they rarely rise up. But, when they are leading things are just peachy.

If the Nucks can get a lead on these guys, they will be fine. But without it they fold like cheap tents, as they usually do when the going gets tough. Whatever causes it, I'm not sure. But methinks it has to do with fan and media hysteria planting seeds out doubt whether consciously or subconsciously long before the season or playoffs even begin, combined with said history of folding. Like self-reinforcing vortex of criticism and doubt.

I'm not sure what will happen next, but this team doesn't require an overhaul. Gillis isn't a bad GM. AV isn't a bad coach. Luongo isn't a bad goalie (though goals 2 and 4 were back breakers). They just need to believe in themselves and try to overcome some adversity (much like they did vs Chicago in game 7). No need to start talking about dismounting the core.
All fine and dandy Mondi, but are you choosing to ignore the fact that we can't score anymore? The last 3 montsh of the regular season we only generated 16 goals on the PP, which was last in the entire league over that stretch leading to the playoffs. I thought it was the PP where we were suppose to beat teams. Blame it on Daniel. Didn't Daniel play the last 3 months of the regular season during that woeful run of only producing 16 goals on the PP? I'm sorry, but Lou and Schneider can only do so much, Shut Down Hockey will win you nothing if you can't score. You can believe all you like, but good luck trying to score on Jonathon Quick when you can't score anymore.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

mathonwy wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:
:roll:

Fuck .. That .. Noise.

Win win? Maybe if you're retarded.
Or - if you have actually have some perspective.

In 2005/06, the Wings got ousted in the first round. Was it the end of the world? Absolutely not - they rebounded nicely and won the cup in dominating fashion a few years later.

The Bruins 3 years ago, finished with a 116 points in one of their regular seasons but then lost in the first round. A year later - they only finished with 91 points.......and then blew their 3-0 series lead against Philly. A year later - they won the cup.

As much shit as the San Jose Sharks get, they have consistently fielded a great team for the last 7-8 years or so.

Have the Penguins panicked or "blown things up" after being upset last year and the year before? (in early rounds).

My point is this: Fans need to relax a bit. Plenty of teams come from behind to win after trailing 2 games to 0. And if we don't? It's not a big deal. Just as teams like Detroit, Pitsburgh, Boston, and even San Jose came back strong the next year, the Canucks can do the same.

If the Hodgson deal was in fact, a mistake in retrospect (i.e. a major setback in 3rd line scoring), then the Canucks have one of Schneider or Lou to deal in the off-season to remedy that mistake......if you want to call it that. Period.

Most of us are aged somewhere between 20-55 on here. There is plenty of time left for us to see Vancouver win a cup.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I will also add that I feel like I have been kicked in the balls and the bully is willing to do it again.

On a good note, I have only been to 2 games this year and since when did the Nucks start selling such low cut women's shirts. We may not win on ice but I don't think there is a team out there that have as many hot women in their early 20's wearing their teams jersey's as good as the Canuck faithful.

Is this what I have to deal with when my daughter gets into her teens and early 20's? :hmmm:
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Reefer2 wrote:I will also add that I feel like I have been kicked in the balls and the bully is willing to do it again.
Why........are you actually playing the game?

It's just a game. Nothing more nothing less.

I don't say this to be pretentious or moronic, but I say this over the fact that I almost developed legit depression last year when the Canucks lost to the Bruins in game 7. Watching the team lose in the finals last year, followed by a ridiculous dangerous 6 week eating binge, allowed me to get a bit of perspective on the Canucks and life......I think? :|

Canucks just have to go out there and give it their best shot. Don't play "afraid to lose." The more one plays "not to lose", the more errors one ends up making. Go out there with the expectation of winning and give it your all. You win? Awesome. You move on.....attempting to become legends. You lose? You get an early summer break, you rest, recouperate, and make the necessary adjustments. Teams like Detroit, San Jose, Pitsburgh, etc., have fielded highly competitive teams for years, and there's no reason why we can't do the same.

As far as us fans go, most of us on here are somewhere between 25 and 55..............meaning, that we most likely have atleast another 30-60 years to watch this team win. Lets enjoy the ride regardless of what happens.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Because this team has been so close for the past 10 years with the WCE and now this team. Watching and having expecations of a team that will go far and win the cup finally after all the 80s/90s debacle (sp) it does leave me with well it is another year we have to wait.

I don't go on drinking binges, nor eating nor does anything else change. Come Monday morning regardless if it is 3 - 0 or 2 -1 I will go into work and produce and come home and probably go to the gym. Nothing changes for me but the feeling that this team has blown another season.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

My take on the first 2 games:
What the hell has happened to our ability to make and accept passes? This seems to be our biggest hurdle at the moment and is directly responsible for our powerplay woes. We can't seem to settle down the puck and move it around without the damn thing bouncing off sticks, bouncing on the ice, bouncing off skates, bouncing bouncing bouncing. Were making a pretty ordinary team look like fucking all stars and this to me is encouraging.
Let's go out on the road, settle the fuck down and play some Canuck hockey. We win game 3 and were right back in there. Faith people...we haven't seen our team play anything like they can over the past 2 years.

I believe!
If you need air...call it in
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Reefer2 wrote: I don't go on drinking binges, nor eating nor does anything else change. Come Monday morning regardless if it is 3 - 0 or 2 -1 I will go into work and produce and come home and probably go to the gym. Nothing changes for me but the feeling that this team has blown another season.
That's a good mentality to have and it's something I've adopted myself. I guess for me - I was going way too extreme in the other direction over the past few years, and so I hope that no one else goes into that kind of territory.

Personally? I think there's more to a season than winning a cup. Obviously - winning the cup IS the most important thing, but there's so many other factors that constitute success. Last year - the Canucks WERE a success. They have a ton of things that they should be proud of as individuals, and should be able to look at those accomplishments with satisfaction once their careers end. Even this year - a Presidents' trophy is nothing to take lightly. We've won it 2 years in a row now. The Sedins', Kesler, Luongo, Schneider, Vigneault, etc., have all won individual awards, and Manny might be joining them as well this year.

For me anyways - I think these things are worth appreciating, and I would hope that more fans would appreciate these things as well.

Sure - not winning a cup is disappointing, but there are tons of other things to be proud of as well.

Let me ask you this Reefer (and to anyone else): The Flames won a Stanley Cup in 1989, but outside of their run in 2004, what else have they really done over the past 23 years? If the Stanley Cup is the only thing that matters, then would it be more desirable to have had THEIR history as opposed to ours?

Take a look at teams like Anaheim, Carolina, and Tampa Bay over the past 8 years. Would it have been better to have THEIR history as opposed to ours?

What about the New York Rangers since 1994? Same thing. From 1994 to 2011 (cup included), who's history would you rather have had? Vancouver's or NYR's? NYR missed SEVEN playoff season's in a row, and didn't win a single round for the longest time.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here, is that winning the cup is great.......and IS the most important thing.......but it's not the only thing that defines a successful franchise in my opinion.

Canuck fans and Vancouverites in general have a lot to be proud of. Hosting the Olympics, and winning the Grey Cup are two things that I also consider to be achievements (I know that they have nothing to do with the Canucks but I felt compelled to mention it).
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
That's a good mentality to have and it's something I've adopted myself. I guess for me - I was going way too extreme in the other direction over the past few years, and so I hope that no one else goes into that kind of territory.

Personally? I think there's more to a season than winning a cup. Obviously - winning the cup IS the most important thing, but there's so many other factors that constitute success. Last year - the Canucks WERE a success. They have a ton of things that they should be proud of as individuals, and should be able to look at those accomplishments with satisfaction once their careers end. Even this year - a Presidents' trophy is nothing to take lightly. We've won it 2 years in a row now. The Sedins', Kesler, Luongo, Schneider, Vigneault, etc., have all won individual awards, and Manny might be joining them as well this year.

For me anyways - I think these things are worth appreciating, and I would hope that more fans would appreciate these things as well.

Sure - not winning a cup is disappointing, but there are tons of other things to be proud of as well.

Let me ask you this Reefer (and to anyone else): The Flames won a Stanley Cup in 1989, but outside of their run in 2004, what else have they really done over the past 23 years? If the Stanley Cup is the only thing that matters, then would it be more desirable to have had THEIR history as opposed to ours?

Take a look at teams like Anaheim, Carolina, and Tampa Bay over the past 8 years. Would it have been better to have THEIR history as opposed to ours?

What about the New York Rangers since 1994? Same thing. From 1994 to 2011 (cup included), who's history would you rather have had? Vancouver's or NYR's? NYR missed SEVEN playoff season's in a row, and didn't win a single round for the longest time.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here, is that winning the cup is great.......and IS the most important thing.......but it's not the only thing that defines a successful franchise in my opinion.

Canuck fans and Vancouverites in general have a lot to be proud of. Hosting the Olympics, and winning the Grey Cup are two things that I also consider to be achievements (I know that they have nothing to do with the Canucks but I felt compelled to mention it).
I also want to add the Toronto Blue Jays to my above analogy. The Jays became the absolute toast of Canada when we won back to back World Series' back in 92' and 93'. Since that time however - the Jays have done absolutely nothing.......and it's been almost 20 years since the fans and the city really cared about the Jays (they might be finally turning things around this year). The franchise has been an absolute after-thought ever since they won.

Again though - the point I'm trying to make, is that winning the championship/cup in one's respective sport isn't the end all and be all. There are so many other things that constitute success.

As much as we glorify the 1994 Canucks team, the truth of the matter is that that particular 'core' did not achieve as much success as our current core in terms of divisional titles, conference titles, individual achievements, and Presidents' trophies. At the very least, our curent core should be seen in a more positive light than the core from 1994.