GDT - R1G2 - Canucks vs Kings 7PM PST CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Legend

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Kings 7PM PST CBC

Post by donlever »

Larry Goodenough wrote: Diving in hockey is unethical, but a referee consciously changing the application of the rules because he develops negative personal feelings towards the diving player is just part of the game.
No, I think this is also highly unethical, perhaps arguably moreso as they are hired to be the adjudicators of right and wrong.
Larry Goodenough wrote:The ethics of hockey are indeed skewed and odd and largely based in tradition, rather that logic.
Sadly as noted by another user earlier today the NHL is unfortunately a Mickey Mouse league.
DeLevering since 1999.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT - R1G2 - Canucks vs Kings 7PM PST CBC

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Arachnid wrote:
Larry Goodenough wrote:A Sun blog touching on my concerns about Pahlsson vs Kopitar and assertion that Richards is not the number one concern....

Going into this series, it looked like Vigneault would be able to use that third line to neutralize Kopitar, which, in theory would allow Kesler and Henrik Sedin to see easier minutes. Vigneault has his critics, and even I think he can be a frustrating tactician at times (his lurch back into stylistic conservatism this season has probably been counterproductive, for example). But one of the things the Canucks have built their success on over the past few seasons is Vigneault’s ability to take advantage of the Canucks’ superior depth.

If the Kopitar line’s decimation of Pahlsson’s group continues on Friday, however, Vigneault may be forced to use Kesler as a checking centre, and that will ripple throughout lineup. If Kesler is playing tougher minutes dueling with Kopitar, then his offensive potential takes a massive hit. Meanwhile the five and a half minutes Henrik spent skating through Jarret Stoll and Trevor Lewis evaporates, and he’ll begin to see a steady diet of shifts matched up against Mike Richards instead. All of a sudden Vancouver’s superior depth doesn’t seem so superior…

Remember that this is playoff Vigneault, who deceives, inveigles, and obfuscates. You can’t trust him. When he talks openly about matchups that he’s worried about in the postseason, we’re probably best served by paying closer attention to what he omits or glosses over, rather than what he’s explicit about. Richards and Penner had storybook returns to the postseason on Wednesday night, but the real issues lie elsewhere.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2012/04/13 ... s-job-one/
LGBT 8-) AV went on record that the Kesler line was the one actually targeting the Kopitar line and it didn't work...he implied that Pahlsson’s line might get the change up.

LGBT? Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered?

Is that the new nickname for the Kopitar line with Doughty?
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

lol

I would say the LG is for Larry Goodenough.

The BT he has me confused on however.

Beat this?

Larry Goodenough, beat this? Blah blah blah..

By the way and forget the W?

I'm outta here...
DeLevering since 1999.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

donlever wrote:...it would also be nice if the building were vibrating tonight.

The fans in game one were much like the team.

Pretty much disinterested.

Assuming we are just going to breeze on through perhaps?
I wasn't there, but I thought the fans were going pretty good for the first few minutes. We opened the scoring on some great work by Burrows (go figure) and some cheeky play by Kesler (surprise surprise). Then the penalties and lazy hockey started, the Kings ended up with a weak call PP which resulted in back-to-back 5-on-3's. Crowd was done.

My level of interest was probably much the same as all the fans there, it ebbed and flowed with the team. Even in the 3rd period when we were pressing and it was tied up at deuces. I just didn't sense that they had this one, all our shots were coming from outside and either missing or being blocked. On the rush we were stacking one side of the ice and ever puck that went wide off the boards, deflected off a defender, or was a rebound from Quick to the far side was either scooped up unopposed by an LA player or flew up the boards and back out of the zone. There were multiple open nets that were just begging for puck off a rebound.....but know Canuck in sight.

One more thing that vexes me.....on the PP, when we lose the draw, why is the slot-side point man not hustling his ass over to the far boards to stop the clearing attempt. Or even just setup a few feet further over because if you pick that end-around clearing attempt off at the far point, that point man has a decent look at the net or time to settle it and let the PP setup.

Sutter-style hockey will always give this team fits. I sure as hell didn't see any of the "new" PP systems either last game. We better see something worth watching tonight.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Aaronp18 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: The most concerning stat from game was our shots, or lack there of
So if we stay out of the box you should be far less concerned?

:thumbs:
Even by the lack of shots the Canucks had statistically more quality scoring chances than LA (according to a post i think made on this board), anyways i'm still trusting in this bunch of fuckin' whiners, divers and yappers. :mrgreen:

I don't have to say much more after all is already said, just:

Go Canucks GO, beat'em bust'em !!!

ps: i'm not on board for the game because i need the dsl line for the ps3/tv connection.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

The shot total vs. chances discrepancy may be due to shot blocking. I remember one sequence where Scuderi seemed afraid that Quick might have to stop the puck even when he could clearly see it. Perhaps a little more cross-ice puck movement is in order.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Tell ya something interesting, when watching the Bruins game last night, I was blown away by all of the non-calls...unbelievable... but from a fan standpoint, it was enjoyable in some ways since the refs weren't deciding things. It would have been more enjoyabale though had I not seen the Canucks game the night before; the contrast in officiating was like night and day!!

It must be extremely frustraing for players when they're going along and not knowing what is or isn't going to be called. If I was a Canuck player and i perceived the refs as calling everything, why not take a dive here an there, especially if ya feel like you're already being fucked over?? Uh, except were they calling everything? How about the spear that Luongo took to the throat? As a player I might be inclined to get a little 'goonish' towards the other teams players if my team-mate gets speared in the throat... dunno, just saying. It's easy for us and the media to judge, but from a player's persepective there may be a whole other level or basis fro what they are doing.

(Incidentally, did ya hear Simpson in his commentary? "Well it looks like Luongo might be embellishing that". WTF? It would be so frikin cathartic to take a spear to that shit head's throat.. did i just say that??)

Having said all of this, I'm feeling a King slap-down (or as RD says, 'shut-down') coming in the cards tonight. They got their one game away from home, and I'm hopeful now that that is all they get! Time to get a 'groove on' no more fucking around.
cc oldtimer
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

coco_canuck wrote:Agree about Kassian getting moved up and Malhotra being moved out.

I'm not a big Weise fan, but I'd rather have him on the wing than Manny, and I'd certainly rather have Ebbett, A.K.A. Tamby 2.0.

Burrows-Henrik-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Raymond
Higgins-Pahlsson-Hansen
Ebbett-Lapierre-Weise

The 4th line would't be intimidating, but they'd lay the body, and all three have speed and some skill to actually play some hockey.
Manny was our best center in game 1. Hank may have controlled the puck like never before, but Malhotra was critical to the PK effort, he won draws, he played good defense, he forechecked hard, and he didn't make any mistakes. Kesler took a penalty, was a diving loser, and if he hadn't gotten away with selling that butt-end it would have been a 3-1 (4-1) game. Pahlsson was in no-man's land most of the night. If we are putting Lapierre in as the 4th line center, then move Malhotra up to the 3rd unit, not out of the lineup.

Yes, this coming from Mëds, the guy who wanted Malhotra gone back in January.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Puck wrote:The shot total vs. chances discrepancy may be due to shot blocking. I remember one sequence where Scuderi seemed afraid that Quick might have to stop the puck even when he could clearly see it. Perhaps a little more cross-ice puck movement is in order.
That or have Salo start aiming for ankles with that 105+ mph slapshot. Just sayin.... :)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

So tonight's lines, maybe:

Lappy/Hank/Burrows
Higgins/Kesler/Booth
Raymond/Sami/Hansen
Malhotra/Ebbett/Kassian.

Hamhuis/Bieksa
Salo/Edler
Tanev/Ballard
The only HW the Canucks need
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:So tonight's lines, maybe:

Lappy/Hank/Burrows
Higgins/Kesler/Booth
Raymond/Sami/Hansen
Malhotra/Ebbett/Kassian.

Hamhuis/Bieksa
Salo/Edler
Tanev/Ballard
i like it, it will be interesting to see how Ballard responds to this golden op to get out of the perpetual doghouse...
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

On Ballard...

As late as last week Ballard was having trouble making plays under pressure during practice, but he stuck with it and continued to rest to where he felt ready to play. He was cleared and taken off the injured reserve earlier this week.

When asked about any discomfort he may have been feeling in the last few days, Ballard responded with the wit reporters have missed.

“I haven’t had any issues with headaches, neck pain, nothing like that, I might have been dizzy from guys skating by me, I don’t know"....
DeLevering since 1999.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

donlever wrote:On Ballard...
“I haven’t had any issues with headaches, neck pain, nothing like that, I might have been dizzy from guys skating by me, I don’t know"....
LOL!

Is that an 'upper body' injury? :eh:
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

nuckster wrote:
(Incidentally, did ya hear Simpson in his commentary? "Well it looks like Luongo might be embellishing that". WTF? It would be so frikin cathartic to take a spear to that shit head's throat.. did i just say that??)
It is to bad that to avoid Mark Lee you are stuck with Craig Simpson don't ya think Jim?

It would have been nice, don't ya think Jim, if someone else could do color with Hughie.

Don't ya think Jim, that Simpson is a bit of a douche?

...as an aside a stellar Mark Lee call on a Detroit goal the other night (made well after the puck was clearly in the net and Homstrom was celebrating.)

"At the side of the net, Holmstrom thinks he scores, he does, he scores...."

The new NHL call, he thinks, he scores.....
Last edited by donlever on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DeLevering since 1999.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

donlever wrote:On Ballard...

As late as last week Ballard was having trouble making plays under pressure during practice, but he stuck with it and continued to rest to where he felt ready to play. He was cleared and taken off the injured reserve earlier this week.

When asked about any discomfort he may have been feeling in the last few days, Ballard responded with the wit reporters have missed.

I know there has been some legit criticisms of Ballard since RD's favourite trade, but I find it hard not to cheer for the guy to do well. It can't be easy to be on the cusp always waiting for the other shoe to drop. a lot of guys would have got bitter and quit by now.