GDT - R1G2 - Canucks vs Kings 7PM PST CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Kings 7PM PST CBC

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Did you see Skeletor Gallagher agreeing with me
You should have quit while you were ahead.
I know. Agreeing with Gallagher is a low point for me. I now see why Bony Tony is so hated, he points out the obvious
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

RoyalDude wrote: The most concerning stat from game was our shots, or lack there of
So if we stay out of the box you should be far less concerned?

:thumbs:
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

ukcanuck wrote: All this talk about the Canucks players being whiners and divers from those fucking eastern bastards.
We don't need to swallow any kool-aid to see that the Canucks were flopping around like fish out of water on Wednesday.

Kes and Hank (among others) both had putrid and obvious dives.

Plus we were doing a lot of whining about alot of things.

Pretty sad to see really.

This shit is blown out of proportion by media members and opposition fans for sure.

Last game we lived up to their expectations unfortunately.
DeLevering since 1999.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT - R1G2 - Canucks vs Kings 7PM PST CBC

Post by Benjo »

The team just needs to stick with what made them successful and play an uptempo game that the Kings will struggle to keep up with. Looks like they are adding more skill into the lineup, so use it.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

RoyalDude wrote: You feel better now Math? Man, that looked like it took effort. Now back to Manny regarding puck possession. WTF does it matter about puck possession when we don't have enough skill guys who can keep the puck when we get it. IMO its what u do with the puck when u get it. He can win face offs til the cows come home, eventual we will gain puck possession outside of face offs, the big concern is the inability to keep and trust me Manny may win face offs but he can fuck all offensively with it, I had a great belly laugh with your comment regarding Mannys Offense.

The most concerning stat from game was our shots, or lack there of
Truthfully man, I don't feel nothing.

Anyways, regardless of whether your team has skill guys or not, do you agree that having possession of the puck is better than not having possession of the puck?

Assuming that you do agree.

Do you agree that winning a faceoff in the defensive zone is more important than winning a faceoff in the offensive zone?

It gets a little tricky here but I would have to say that defensive faceoff wins are a lot more important than offensive faceoff wins because of the sheer amount of time and effort (potentially) required to get the puck back once you lose the faceoff.

You lose the faceoff in the offensive end, the puck gets chipped out. You regroup and reattack.

You lose the faceoff in the defensive end (especially on the PK or an icing), you have tired guys running around trying to retrieve the puck leading to coverage breakdowns and sometimes a goal.

Is it worth it having a guy in the line up that's only strength is to win defensive faceoffs (and on the 2nd PK unit I think)? Considering how screwed up our line ups are with Dank out, my answer is yes. Manny is a defensively responsible forward and until we get our offense on track, we need defense from our forwards. He can eat up 10 minutes without being a liability.

This shutdown hockey you're so fond of. We need that until Kesler, Booth, Burrows, Hank, Dank, Edler and even Sami Salo start scoring again.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

donlever wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: All this talk about the Canucks players being whiners and divers from those fucking eastern bastards.
We don't need to swallow any kool-aid to see that the Canucks were flopping around like fish out of water on Wednesday.

Kes and Hank (among others) both had putrid and obvious dives.

Plus we were doing a lot of whining about alot of things.

Pretty sad to see really.

This shit is blown out of proportion by media members and opposition fans for sure.

Last game we lived up to their expectations unfortunately.
I'm not denying that they aren't guilty of it, nor do I think its pretty to watch but I don't think its what lost them the game, nor is it particularly the problem since this whole hated team in hockey crap began. I don't believe every ref's last name is Auger either. I think its been obvious the refs call retaliations and sometimes are guilty of even up calls, (I think Kes' snow shower was one) but clearly if you initiate dirty play and are good at fooling the refs and are brazen enough to try something totally out of the norm then more power to you.
I guess what I am saying is when the rest of the league starts playing like gentlemen, I'LL start complaining about the Canucks diving.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

ukcanuck wrote: I guess what I am saying is when the rest of the league starts playing like gentlemen, I'LL start complaining about the Canucks diving.
I see where you are coming from but I disagree.

The stuff they did the other night is counterproductive.

Kes and Hanks flops served no purpose and appeared nothing more than immature responses to being frustrated.

Silly.

Both are team leaders and thus should be above that kind of stuff.

What kind of precedent does it set for the Kassians and Tanevs?

This is not what GMMG wants.

You wanna be an asshole, be an asshole. You wanna smoke someone in the teeth with your stick, be my guest. Don't flop around like it's your first day on skates though.
DeLevering since 1999.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

donlever wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: I guess what I am saying is when the rest of the league starts playing like gentlemen, I'LL start complaining about the Canucks diving.

Kes and Hanks flops served no purpose and appeared nothing more than immature responses to being frustrated.

Silly.

You wanna be an asshole, be an asshole. You wanna smoke someone in the teeth with your stick, be my guest. Don't flop around like it's your first day on skates though.
oh I am in agreement that obvious poorly timed and executed dives are counterproductive and need to be addressed but its the next step in the train of thought I don't like, and to be fair most knowledgeable people don't make the leap, but diving and trying to affect the outcome of calls is part of any game, its not particularly dirty nor makes a player somehow a lesser gentleman or dishonourable...(hello Henrik)
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

A Sun blog touching on my concerns about Pahlsson vs Kopitar and assertion that Richards is not the number one concern....

Going into this series, it looked like Vigneault would be able to use that third line to neutralize Kopitar, which, in theory would allow Kesler and Henrik Sedin to see easier minutes. Vigneault has his critics, and even I think he can be a frustrating tactician at times (his lurch back into stylistic conservatism this season has probably been counterproductive, for example). But one of the things the Canucks have built their success on over the past few seasons is Vigneault’s ability to take advantage of the Canucks’ superior depth.

If the Kopitar line’s decimation of Pahlsson’s group continues on Friday, however, Vigneault may be forced to use Kesler as a checking centre, and that will ripple throughout lineup. If Kesler is playing tougher minutes dueling with Kopitar, then his offensive potential takes a massive hit. Meanwhile the five and a half minutes Henrik spent skating through Jarret Stoll and Trevor Lewis evaporates, and he’ll begin to see a steady diet of shifts matched up against Mike Richards instead. All of a sudden Vancouver’s superior depth doesn’t seem so superior…

Remember that this is playoff Vigneault, who deceives, inveigles, and obfuscates. You can’t trust him. When he talks openly about matchups that he’s worried about in the postseason, we’re probably best served by paying closer attention to what he omits or glosses over, rather than what he’s explicit about. Richards and Penner had storybook returns to the postseason on Wednesday night, but the real issues lie elsewhere.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2012/04/13 ... s-job-one/
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

ukcanuck wrote:
donlever wrote:

Silly.

oh I am in agreement that obvious poorly timed and executed dives are counterproductive and need to be addressed but its the next step in the train of thought I don't like, and to be fair most knowledgeable people don't make the leap, but diving and trying to affect the outcome of calls is part of any game, its not particularly dirty nor makes a player somehow a lesser gentleman or dishonourable...(hello Henrik)
And when Stephane Robidas skates back slowly to decieve the linesman into calling an icing, resulting in a game tying goal for Dallas, it's a veteran hockey play.

Diving in hockey is unethical, but a referee consciously changing the application of the rules because he develops negative personal feelings towards the diving player is just part of the game.

The ethics of hockey are indeed skewed and odd and largely based in tradition, rather that logic.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Yep Kopitar is a beast out there.

He looks absolutely huge and is clearly strong as an ox.

Drafted right after Luc Bourdon...sigh.

He needs to be slowed down, we'll see what happens tonight.
DeLevering since 1999.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Larry Goodenough wrote:A Sun blog touching on my concerns about Pahlsson vs Kopitar and assertion that Richards is not the number one concern....

Going into this series, it looked like Vigneault would be able to use that third line to neutralize Kopitar, which, in theory would allow Kesler and Henrik Sedin to see easier minutes. Vigneault has his critics, and even I think he can be a frustrating tactician at times (his lurch back into stylistic conservatism this season has probably been counterproductive, for example). But one of the things the Canucks have built their success on over the past few seasons is Vigneault’s ability to take advantage of the Canucks’ superior depth.

If the Kopitar line’s decimation of Pahlsson’s group continues on Friday, however, Vigneault may be forced to use Kesler as a checking centre, and that will ripple throughout lineup. If Kesler is playing tougher minutes dueling with Kopitar, then his offensive potential takes a massive hit. Meanwhile the five and a half minutes Henrik spent skating through Jarret Stoll and Trevor Lewis evaporates, and he’ll begin to see a steady diet of shifts matched up against Mike Richards instead. All of a sudden Vancouver’s superior depth doesn’t seem so superior…

Remember that this is playoff Vigneault, who deceives, inveigles, and obfuscates. You can’t trust him. When he talks openly about matchups that he’s worried about in the postseason, we’re probably best served by paying closer attention to what he omits or glosses over, rather than what he’s explicit about. Richards and Penner had storybook returns to the postseason on Wednesday night, but the real issues lie elsewhere.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2012/04/13 ... s-job-one/
LGBT 8-) AV went on record that the Kesler line was the one actually targeting the Kopitar line and it didn't work...he implied that Pahlsson’s line might get the change up.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

donlever wrote:Yep Kopitar is a beast out there.

Or...we could just buy him a motorcycle :cry:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

donlever wrote:Yep Kopitar is a beast out there.

OH NO YOU DIN'T!!
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Arachnid wrote:

Or...we could just buy him a motorcycle :cry:

:wow:

..and math says, "Oh, no I didn't...??"

Boom goes the dyanmite.
DeLevering since 1999.