GDT - R1G2 - Canucks vs Kings 7PM PST CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Legend

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Kings 7PM PST CBC

Post by donlever »

...it would also be nice if the building were vibrating tonight.

The fans in game one were much like the team.

Pretty much disinterested.

Assuming we are just going to breeze on through perhaps?
DeLevering since 1999.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

donlever wrote: It's the consistency of style Dude.

I'm sure you're having fun playing the troll but most of us know it is beneath you.

The braying donkey thing is being overcooked my friend.
Seriously Leves, do you not agree with me regarding the cheap play of Kes, Lappy and Burrows? I like what those guys bring to the table when they just focus on playing the game hard, ie Kes against the Preds last year in the playoffs. I hate the shit with the refs, the whining, the yapping, penalty drawing crap, the cheap, little dirty, "who me?" "but I'm innocent" shit they pull. Get one with it, it's no wonder why we are so hated.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Hockey Widow wrote:Well, I for one want to see Higgins back on the second line. We have enough players that can play bottom 6 but right now we need to get Kesler and Booth scoring, especially with Dank still out. I would also put Lappy back with Burrows and Hank.

Third line I would put Raymond to start and see how that goes. 4th line is again a line we can't seem to trust but that is directly proportional to moving Lappy up the line up.

If we have a lead late in the game we can always revert back to shut down hockey. Actually not a bad idea, wait until we get the lead to play shut down, right RD?
I agree. We need the Amex line back together again dominating on the forecheck.

Instead of Lappy, maybe we could put Hansen on the top line. Hansen was very good last game and caused a lot of problems for the Kings.

So..

Burr Hank Hansen
Booth Kesler Higgins
Raymond Pahlsson Malholtra
Weise Lappy Kassian
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

RoyalDude wrote:
Seriously Leves, do you not agree with me regarding the cheap play of Kes, Lappy and Burrows? I like what those guys bring to the table when they just focus on playing the game hard, ie Kes against the Preds last year in the playoffs. I hate the shit with the refs, the whining, the yapping, penalty drawing crap, the cheap, little dirty, "who me?" "but I'm innocent" shit they pull. Get one with it, it's no wonder why we are so hated.
Right, but that's not the point Dude.

It's the boy who cried wolf syndrome.

Once it goes on to long people stop listening. It's both self aggrandizing and boring.

The post above is a far more reasoned way to make your point and is appreciated thusly.

So yes, to this point you are correct and I agree, that whiny, snivelly shit needs to stop.

From everyone yes....
DeLevering since 1999.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:If we have a lead late in the game we can always revert back to shut down hockey. Actually not a bad idea, wait until we get the lead to play shut down, right RD?
And there lies the problem, in AV's mind, playing shut down hockey at the get go of the game, tied 0-0 is like something genius according to him. Still got it in his mind to only score on the Power Play but if he had noticed, over the last 3 months, the Canucks had the worst power play in the entire league, scoring only 16 times. So, with a shitty PP, how does it make sense to play Shut Down 5 on 5 from the on set of the game? Explain in Laymens terms HW, my head is sore this morning.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

donlever wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

Once it goes on to long people stop listening. It's both self aggrandizing and boring.

The post above is a far more reasoned way to make your point and is appreciated thusly.

So yes, to this point you are correct and I agree, that whiny, snivelly shit needs to stop.

From everyone yes....
Well, sorry then, I will do my best to change. But back to my point, you can always tell when it's gonna be a long night for the Canucks when the 3 amigos I mentioned start pulling that shit. When they actually are more focused on playing the game between the whistles instead after, we are a different team, a better team.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Hockey Widow wrote:Well, I for one want to see Higgins back on the second line. We have enough players that can play bottom 6 but right now we need to get Kesler and Booth scoring, especially with Dank still out. I would also put Lappy back with Burrows and Hank.

Third line I would put Raymond to start and see how that goes. 4th line is again a line we can't seem to trust but that is directly proportional to moving Lappy up the line up.

If we have a lead late in the game we can always revert back to shut down hockey. Actually not a bad idea, wait until we get the lead to play shut down, right RD?
I gotta agree with ya. I know he hasn't earned it but I really want to see Kassian on the PP. People here and on CDC bitch and moan that he doesn't have the conditioning etc..etc. Welll then lets place his ass right in front of Quick and screen the MTFU. 6'3 235 is a pretty damn effective wall and he'll be hard to move by the defense. A wall without superstar cardio is still a WALL!
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

mathonwy wrote:Burr Hank Hansen
Booth Kesler Higgins
Weise Lappy Kassian
We probably have to hide these third and fourth lines from the Kings top six (who feasted on the Canucks weak systems play last game).

Like it or not with Danny out Henrik's line is pretty much the weak link - they have the ability to create offense but if you give him two two-way wingers then you've hamstrung the bottom six.

How about something like this:

Booth-Kesler-Higgins
Raymond-Henrik-Kassian
Burrows-Pahlsson-Hansen
Malhotra-Lapierre-Weise

AV can roll those lines and the Canucks can get back to playing a territorial game - "the process," as it were.

The first change I'd make to that lineup, if necessary, is moving Raymond down to the fourth and Lapierre up (to the second, or to the third with either Burrows or Hansen moving up).
Last edited by dbr on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

RoyalDude wrote:
donlever wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

From everyone yes....
Well, sorry then, I will do my best to change. But back to my point, you can always tell when it's gonna be a long night for the Canucks when the 3 amigos I mentioned start pulling that shit. When they actually are more focused on playing the game between the whistles instead after, we are a different team, a better team.
Oddly, Richards played outside the whistles all night and people are gushing about him. Greene was whining to the refs all night about getting hit. But, if you happen to get a lucky bounce to win the game with 3 minutes to go, it's not embarrasing, it's the key to playoff hockey?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

wafflecombine wrote:

I gotta agree with ya. I know he hasn't earned it but I really want to see Kassian on the PP. People here and on CDC bitch and moan that he doesn't have the conditioning etc..etc. Welll then lets place his ass right in front of Quick and screen the MTFU. 6'3 235 is a pretty damn effective wall and he'll be hard to move by the defense. A wall without superstar cardio is still a WALL!
I actually think it's a good idea as well. How can it hurt, our PP sucks massive. If I was AV I'd pull out the old tapes of what Byfuglien did to Lou when he was in Chicago. "Here you go Zack, this is your job on the PP" Make life miserable for Quick, but all within the lines of good sportsmanship :P
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

dbr wrote:
mathonwy wrote:Burr Hank Hansen
Booth Kesler Higgins
Weise Lappy Kassian
We probably have to hide these third and fourth lines from the Kings top six (who feasted on the Canucks weak systems play last game).

Like it or not with Danny out Henrik's line is pretty much the weak link - they have the ability to create offense but if you give him two two-way wingers then you've hamstrung the bottom six.

How about something like this:

Booth-Kesler-Higgins
Raymond-Henrik-Kassian
Burrows-Pahlsson-Hansen
Malhotra-Lapierre-Weise

AV can roll those lines and the Canucks can get back to playing a territorial game - "the process," as it were.

The first change I'd make to that lineup, if necessary, is moving Raymond down to the fourth and Lapierre up (to the second, or to the third with either Burrows or Hansen moving up).

5 on 5, Kesler was slightly better than Richards. Kopitar owned Pahlsson and Sedin owned Stoll.

Perhaps Vigneault matches Kesler against Kopitar and Pahlsson against Richards.

The swap I would consider is Lapierre onto Pahlsson's line and Higgins back with Kesler. However, this is too new for the playoffs, perhaps it should have been experimented with in the regular season.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dbr wrote: Malhotra-Lapierre-Weise
I think it's because the fact that the ever so useless Malhotra gets a guaranteed walk-on on into AV's line-up card that makes me a miserable poster. The guy is completely useless.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

dbr wrote: How about something like this:

Booth-Kesler-Higgins
Raymond-Henrik-Kassian
Burrows-Pahlsson-Hansen
Malhotra-Lapierre-Weise
Not bad.

The problem is the

Raymond-Hank-Kassian line.

Hank was the best offensive forward on the ice last game. He was controlling the puck like a champ and it seemed like he was getting better as the game progressed. Unfortunately, he had absolutely nobody to pass to which is probably why AV had Booth playing with Hank in the 3rd.

I try not to be negative about Kassian but it inevitably gets out especially when you talk about the line up. He has no chemistry with anyone and he's slow. I could see maybe AV trying this out but ultimately, I see this as a waste of Hank's skill. Hank does not have the ability to create space like Crosby does. He needs smart people that know where to be in the offensive end and he needs a big body on his line to prevent being hemmed in in the defensive corners.

Maybe swap Raymond and Burr.

Burr-Hank-Kassian
MayRay-Pahlsson-Hansen
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Larry Goodenough wrote:Oddly, Richards played outside the whistles all night and people are gushing about him. Greene was whining to the refs all night about getting hit. But, if you happen to get a lucky bounce to win the game with 3 minutes to go, it's not embarrasing, it's the key to playoff hockey?
Great point, LG.
Meanwhile, we all know that Burrows and Kesler became MUCH better players when they reigned in their yapping and antics and focused on hard-work and discipline. In fact, Lapierre too, known for yapping and taking penalites actually toned it down and played very well for us after his acquisition last year. They all need to focus on hockey first and agitating and hitting as opportunities arise.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

dbr wrote: How about something like this:
Raymond-Henrik-Kassian
Good God. This scares the hell out of me. I could be wrong, but I think this would fail completely. Lappy-Hank-Burr... I think they have to use this.