OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Post by mathonwy »

Here's something that'll make you smile. :D
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Shanny may fine the glass after that one.
The only HW the Canucks need
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

The real question now is how the Red Wings will react.

Zetterberg is one of their key players. Will they sit back and accept this parody of justice or will they turn all vigilante?
If Shanahan won't stop Weber from playing, maybe some Red Wing will?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Per wrote:The real question now is how the Red Wings will react.

Zetterberg is one of their key players. Will they sit back and accept this parody of justice or will they turn all vigilante?
There are 3 problems then:
1. He has to be a superstar.
or
2. The superstar must be sure not to injure Weber, complicated affair.
or
3. He's not a superstar but will face a lifetime ban if he's injuring Weber seriously. :lol:

I guess it's going to be a mess anyways because i don't think the Red Wings will leave him without any punishment.
This whole thing will shoot back to the NHL office soon...
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Oliver Ekman-Larsson, age 20, played 31 minutes last night for the Coyotes in his first Stanley Cup playoff game ever. Most minutes of any player in that game not wearing a goalie mask.

Looks like Sweden has a really nice crop of D-men coming up. This season there were six Swedish D-men scoring at least 30 points in the NHL regular season:

Erik Karlsson, age 21, 78 points (19G 59A)
Alexander Edler, age 25, 49 points (11G 38A)
Niklas Kronwall, age 31, 36 points (15G 21A)
Nicklas Lidström, age 41, 34 points (11G 23A)
Tobias Enström, age 27, 33 points (6G 27A)
Oliver Ekman-Larsson, age 20, 32 points (13G 19A)

And then we haven't even addressed players like Victor Hedman, Adam Larsson, David Rundblad, Johnny Oduya, Tim Erixon and Douglas Murray. A total of 22 Swedish D-men played in the NHL this season, 12 of them averaging more than 20 minutes per game.

I think Sweden will have a very strong blue line in the next three Olympic tournaments.
Sure, Lidström will retire, possibly even before 2014, but Kronwall, who is the second oldest on this list, will be 33 in 2014 and 37 in 2018. As long as his knees stay in order, that's not that old for a D-man.
The others are mere kids, and we have more on the way... 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Cookie La Rue wrote:
Per wrote:The real question now is how the Red Wings will react.

There are 3 problems then:
1. He has to be a superstar.
or
2. The superstar must be sure not to injure Weber, complicated affair.
or
3. He's not a superstar but will face a lifetime ban if he's injuring Weber seriously. :lol:

I guess it's going to be a mess anyways because i don't think the Red Wings will leave him without any punishment.
This whole thing will shoot back to the NHL office soon...
Well....there is secret weapon 44....just say's... 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

So ... did anyone watch the Caps/Bruins game lastnight?

Long story short : The Bruins are a bunch of a**holes.

How they get away with their BS I will never understand. 7 penalties for both teams combined in a game that had a scrum literally after EVERY whistle. Much like the SCF, the Bruins are targeting the stars for the Caps. Namely Green, Ovechkin and Semin.

It was nice to see Ovie take some big runs at Chara. He rocked him really hard twice but of course big bad Z had to hack at him with his stick afterwards.

Man I hope the Caps can beat em'. Screw Thomas and his whopping 17 shot shutout too.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Mr.Miyagi wrote:So ... did anyone watch the Caps/Bruins game lastnight?

How they get away with their BS I will never understand. 7 penalties for both teams combined in a game that had a scrum literally after EVERY whistle. Much like the SCF, the Bruins are targeting the stars for the Caps. Namely Green, Ovechkin and Semin.

It was nice to see Ovie take some big runs at Chara. He rocked him really hard twice but of course big bad Z had to hack at him with his stick afterwards.

Man I hope the Caps can beat em'. Screw Thomas and his whopping 17 shot shutout too.

Ya what is it with the Bruins ? They get away with all that with no repercussions. That pane of glass of glass almost hit Thomas. The fans that pushed on the glass were obviously Democrats.

I'm with you "Go Caps Go" beat those bastards.

On a happier note at least the Shithawks lost
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

okcanuck wrote:
Mr.Miyagi wrote:So ... did anyone watch the Caps/Bruins game lastnight?

Ya what is it with the Bruins ? They get away with all that with no repercussions. That pane of glass of glass almost hit Thomas. The fans that pushed on the glass were obviously Democrats.

I'm with you "Go Caps Go" beat those bastards.

On a happier note at least the Shithawks lost
Agree with both of you.

Here's hoping Ovechkin, Semin and Bäckström can start scoring the way we know they can!
Blow a bunch of holes right through Thomas...

:drink:
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Per wrote:Oliver Ekman-Larsson, age 20, played 31 minutes last night for the Coyotes in his first Stanley Cup playoff game ever. Most minutes of any player in that game not wearing a goalie mask.
He didn't just play those minutes. He played spectacularly well in those minutes. He's a *great* skater and obviously has the green light to jump into the play. Remember watching Karlsson's coming out in the 2009-2010 playoffs? I'm not saying Ekman-Larsson is the next Erik Karlsson, but I really like what OE-L has shown this season and he is a big reason why the Coyotes can be dangerous. Like Yandle, he can take difficult defensive assignments yet provide a lot of offense. If the Coyotes succeed in this series, he's going to be a key player, and either way, I love his future.

And I think that game showed why Phoenix can beat the Hawks. The Coyotes lack the top end talent up front, but they play hard and can roll lines (unlike Chicago, who has the top end talent but lacks depth). A defense of Yandle, OE-L, Klesla, Morris, Aucoin, and Roszival is deep and balanced from the attribute perspective, and Mike Smith is doing his best Pekka Rinne. (Yzerman must be wondering where that was last year). Tippett is a very good coach. This might be just the year that they get through the first round after once again exceeding regular season expectations.
Hono_rary Canadian
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

I was impressed with the kid in goal for Washington. He played very well. Definately cheering for the Caps.
Too bad about the Sens. They got owned last night.

And yes, watching Chicago and the Blues loose made me happy.

It should be noted that in each game I watched, I saw several snow showers and no penalties.

Hmmm..... the conspiracy grows.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Per wrote:Oliver Ekman-Larsson, age 20, played 31 minutes last night for the Coyotes in his first Stanley Cup playoff game ever. Most minutes of any player in that game not wearing a goalie mask.
Ekman-Larsson played a VERY strong game last night. The guy's a keeper.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

After watching all the games so far the only game that was called in such a brutal game was the LA/Van series. I mean when you see how the refs called those other games you have to give you head a shake on the calls both against LA and Vancouver. Not one sided. For some reason it seems our series is being showcased as the one the NHL will clamp down on. Gotta wonder if this is Vancouver's reputation coming back to bite them.

Speaking of delay of game penalties, in game one when Stoll deliberately shot the puck over the boards but at the bench he avoided an automatic delay of game penalty. But is there still not discretion on those type of plays. If a player deliberately shoots the puck over the boards/glass outside the "automatic" area can he still not be called for intentional delay of game?
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Hockey Widow wrote:Speaking of delay of game penalties, in game one when Stoll deliberately shot the puck over the boards but at the bench he avoided an automatic delay of game penalty. But is there still not discretion on those type of plays. If a player deliberately shoots the puck over the boards/glass outside the "automatic" area can he still not be called for intentional delay of game?
If you shoot it over the glass anywhere it's a penalty (I still remember when Bryan Allen was here, on one play he shot the puck from his own zone over the glass in the opponents zone and got a penalty for it), but the benches are okay:
When any player, while in his defending zone, shoots or bats (using his hand or his stick) the puck directly (non-deflected) out of the playing surface, except where there is no glass, a penalty shall be assessed for delaying the game. When the puck is shot into the players’ bench, the penalty will not apply. When the puck is shot over the glass ‘behind’ the players’ bench, the penalty will be assessed.
Here's hoping that Canuck defenders start aiming for Kings bench.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya I get the automatic part but are you saying the discretionary part of intentional delay when shot over is now gone? I know it is not a penalty when it goes over the bench, at least not an automatic one. But my questions is has that replaced the intentional delay of game in its entirety?