GDT: R1G1 - Canucks host Kings - 7:30

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: R1G1 - Canucks host Kings - 7:30

Post by Cookie La Rue »

The sky is falling... :shock:

But honestly this team isn't as good as it's made when they're winning but neither as bad when they're losing.
I still have hope for our Canucks. LA was stronger this game but imo the reason was the very undisciplined actions which led to penalties also caused by the Kings.
Generally every playoff team is capable of beating another and LA is by far no underdog. With some luck with bounces, injuries and hard disciplined work everybody has literally the same chance.

Last year we had the luck in the first round game 7 ot, let's see what will happen, even if we'll get a sweep in another 3 close games i wouldn't be shocked too much. Just if they're giving up and will be blown out would destroy my Canucks universe, but i don't think so.

It's just the small things winning a series and no Daniel is my biggest concern in comparison to last year, i doubt that he'll back soon.

For game 2 i just wish them to skate harder and be smarter.....Go Canucks Go.... and the bounces will come.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Cookie La Rue wrote:The sky is falling... :shock:

But honestly this team isn't as good as it's made when they're winning but neither as bad when they're losing.
I still have hope for our Canucks. LA was stronger this game but imo the reason was the very undisciplined actions which led to penalties also caused by the Kings.
Generally every playoff team is capable of beating another and LA is by far no underdog. With some luck with bounces, injuries and hard disciplined work everybody has literally the same chance.

Last year we had the luck in the first round game 7 ot, let's see what will happen, even if we'll get a sweep in another 3 close games i wouldn't be shocked too much. Just if they're giving up and will be blown out would destroy my Canucks universe, but i don't think so.

It's just the small things winning a series and no Daniel is my biggest concern in comparison to last year, i doubt that he'll back soon.

For game 2 i just wish them to skate harder and be smarter.....Go Canucks Go.... and the bounces will come.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Farhan Lalji wrote:Canucks are getting outplayed by a substantial margin.

As much as I want to agree with the fans about the "shitty reffing", I don't think the reffing has been biased at all.

p.s._____________Luongo has been tremendous.
Bang on.

Much of the Canucks play was, in a word, childish.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

SKYO wrote:haha whats the mongoloid farm?^
A place that blames the refs for every call against their team and spends an inordinate amount of time commenting on the announcers in game threads.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Mëds wrote: There is no switch.
Oh there was a switch all right.

It just happened to be in the hands of the other coach last night.
DeLevering since 1999.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

The Canucks looked pretty inept offensively, mostly due to the Kings defence forcing dump-ins or "chip and chase" while the Canucks kept trying to carry it in. The Canucks struggled to win the puck on their dump-ins. Also, I was impressed with the Kings backchecking which disrupted a whole bunch of Canuck rushes.

The Canucks seemed to play very tentatively early on, making a lot of errors - hopefully they can begin Game 2 with more purpose.

I'm concerned about Kesler who seemed to struggle - other than the wraparound attempt (and tripping over Quick on the first goal) and his good performance on faceoffs (15 for 27, and 7 for 11 in the defensive zone), he seemed to lose the puck fairly easily, or be pushed harmlessly to the outside. The Canucks need his line to step up offensively in the absence of Daniel.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
stoneboat
AHL Prospect

Post by stoneboat »

I think my biggest concern was not as much with the forwards (though I mostly agree with what people have said about Kesler, Raymond, etc), but with our defensemen. On too many shifts they crumbled under the heavy forecheck of the Kings, took too long (as usual) to make the outlet pass, and generally looked small. Salo looked gassed from the get go.

As for the forwards, there just doesn't seem to be any chemistry between anyone, at all. Part of that was the disruptive penalties and bad puck luck. The other factor seemed to be a lack of preparation. They just seemed shocked that the Kings came out with that much intensity.

On the bright side, Henrik found another gear, just needs to find someone to pass to. Playoff Hansen is a revelation. Need more players to figure themselves out quick.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

I was pissed watching the game last night. As soon as Kelser drew the 2 min for unsportsmanlike I had a sinking feeling that the game was lost and the rules were gonig to be applied differently from the last half of the regular season.

We played like crap thereafter. Can't build momentum from the penalty box and two 5 on 3's plus a 5 min (Bitz earned that for being an ass) and all the other penalities just didn't work. What pissed me off most was watching Lou get speared in the throat by brown, deliberately and no call. It was obvious the reffing disrupted our game because guys were unsure what would be called and what wouldn't.

but as many others have mentioned, we played in 2nd gear all night and LA was in 4th gear.

Here is hoping things go different in game 2.

P.S.
Pen's got screwed by the reffs. 3 feet offside and no call. Man that was brutal. Changed the game.
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

LOL, it makes me laugh when people whine about 'not getting calls' when the team flops and dives. I am so sick of it, and I thought they had it sorted out this year. Kesler and Lou are two of the biggest offenders and Sedin isn't that far behind.

Oh, and they got their PP chances but failed to score. People should complain about that, and stop complaining about the referees until the team stops flopping and diving.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

The playoffs are full of high’s and low’s boys.

One positive I took out of last nights game is Richards goal aside, caught Lou cheating, Lou looked great. The team played horrible and yet the game was tied with less than five minutes left.

The Carter play on the winning goal was sick! Edler... nice play, but still, Carter's off the skate pass was a beaut.

I agree with others... last year was our year. I honestly thought after game 7 in 94 we’d get them next year. 17 years later we had our next appearance. I’m not jumping ship and I think we have as good a shot as any but anyone assuming we somehow deserve to be given another shot is crazy. Game 7,SCF at home, you fucking win!

High’s and low’s boys! One game at a time! We fuckin stunk last night and we had a legit shot at winning the game. Game two will tell us if this year’s team has what last years team didn’t. The will to win! Game two in a must win IMHO.

Go Canucks Go!

AND REMEMBER, IT'S ONLY GAME 1 ROUND 1! :mrgreen:
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

After last year and two pressies its hard not to be down but seriously, last nights stubbed dinks is not that surprising. Everyone and I mean all 3 million people in the province have been waiting since the riot for redemption and another kick at the can. well its finally here and the players and the fans were standing around waiting for the magic to unfold...
It don't work that way, and I am sure the team is kicking themselves this morning for all the stupid penalties, the blown coverages and basically standing around picking their nose. I would hope and expect a different team and result on Friday...

As for AV...why would you want your third line to be your best line? Whats the point in shutting down the other team when you don't have a lead? load up the second line already
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Corb wrote:LOL, it makes me laugh when people whine about 'not getting calls' when the team flops and dives. I am so sick of it, and I thought they had it sorted out this year. Kesler and Lou are two of the biggest offenders and Sedin isn't that far behind.

Oh, and they got their PP chances but failed to score. People should complain about that, and stop complaining about the referees until the team stops flopping and diving.
Many of the calls against us were penalties by the book. Some were not consistent with how the last 40 games of the regular season were reffed. The exact same can be said of L.A. - penalties by the book EXCEPT, the borderline stuff was called consistent with regular season. I want consistency - no more, no less

Lol... put the glasses on and get HD. Then you'll see Lou get speared and driven back into the net.

Don't worry though, the Hawks play tonight so that should make ya happy ;)

And as for being screwed by the reffs, the Pens have a real case. That missed offside call was brutal and it was the turning point of the game.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Last night Richards was a difference maker! Goal, Assist and at least three crushing hits.

Kesler has got to shut that 2nd line down! It’s going to be war. An interesting game within the game to keep an eye on! If the Canucks want to move on they must match LA physically.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Agreed ODB.

Kes was off his game last night. We really need Dank back so we can normalize the lines and generate some chemistry. Right now the 2nd line feels like two old people who hate being married but dont' know any other way to be.

Its just sad ;(
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

Waffle, I'm not saying the refs didn't miss any calls. But to use the example of the Lou spear, if he wasn't known for dropping like he's been shot when he's barely touched, he might have gotten the call. And yes, he was speared.

Last year I saw some of the antics as gamesmanship, this year I can't tolerate it.