Edmonton wins draft lottery

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Edmonton wins draft lottery

Post by Larry Goodenough »

The problem in Edmonton is not just Tambellini, but Kevin Lowe. Lowe's protege is Howson in Columbus. Nuff said.

If you watch the Oil Change series, you'll see Lowe is still in the middle of all decisions. The episode in which Tambelini is seen using capgeek.com to manage his team on July 1st, you'll see Tambellini seeking out Lowe's approval on all choices and decisions.

If you use capgeek.com and can't figure out the 4 callups rule after the deadline. You're incompetent. If you're incompetent, you'll get lots of 1st overall picks. If you're incompetent, you'll never be able to build anything despite lots of 1st overall picks.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

I would definately try to structure a deal to pick up Eberle. But I've said that before.

Edmonton is pretty lucky cause Columbus really should have been first for how ridiculous their season was and with Nash to exit this summer, they need some new blood to build around.

meh, I guess you can give Edmonton a A+ for being failures and getting top picks. If they pick up some additional pieces in key positions they could be very good in about 3-5 years IMO.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

tantalum wrote:
Topper wrote:
Benjo wrote:i have serious doubts Hall is going to play much longer in the NHL, he is basically a kamikaze on the ice.
The same was said about Ryan Kesler.
But Hall is actually already missing significant time with injuries and Kesler's style has contributed to his injury issues at the end of the year the last few years in the playoffs.

i met Hall at the Memorial Cup in 2010(stayed at the same hotel as the Spitfires)...he is not a big boned or well muscled kid...maybe 6 feet and probably 170...but his bone structure and muscle density is not the type that will hold out under the constant pounding of the NHL...he is a real nice kid and i hope he does well...but...i give him 6 or 7 years and he is dun!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

wafflecombine wrote: they could be very good in about 3-5 years IMO.
and right around the time when we start sucking. Don't see much hope in this team when the Sedins start fading, nothing in the system that will replace them, not even close. When the Sedin world ends here, it will be around the time when the young guns of the Oilers start to really dominate, that is unless you think Kassian, Schroeder and Jensen are the answer. The Horror, the horror, the horror....
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Edmonton will do nothing with those two waterheads running the team. Lowe and Tamby the finger puppet should ahve had both their asses kicked to the curb last year let alone this year.

LMAO at anyone who thinks the Coilers will do anything with no defence, no goaltending, no depth and Dumb and Dumber steering the ship.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
CrzyCanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Tamby looks so high on TSN right now from that first pick.

But unfortunately, they will continue to suck.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

If the Oilers do get Yak

Their offense will be crazy.

If they are smart they will sign some veteran UFA dmen and 4th liners to help protect and teach them youngins.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote:If the Oilers do get Yak

Their offense will be crazy.

If they are smart they will sign some veteran UFA dmen and 4th liners to help protect and teach them youngins.
You could put a whole bunch of Brent Sopels around Yak, RNH, Hall and Eberle, and you will still be good. These guys are gonna be fun to watch in a short while. Tambellini has no choice but to select Yak, he is head and shoulders better than the rest of his draft class mates, it's the best player scenario by a long shot. After Yak take your pick, it's a crap shoot and a considerable drop off from him.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Edmonton will still be a joke until they lose the Mcdonalds managers running the team.

Wake the fuck up Pacific Blue.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Edmonton will still be a joke until they lose the Mcdonalds managers running the team.

I don't know Blob, if you have Yak, RNH, Hall and Eberle on your team, and you were a thousand times more useless than ex-Canuck GM Jack Gordon they'd still be a good team. It's gonna be pretty much impossible not to have a good team when those 4 have a couple years under their belt.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Edmonton will still be a joke until they lose the Mcdonalds managers running the team.

LOL mcdeez managers.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:

I don't know Blob, if you have Yak, RNH, Hall and Eberle on your team, and you were a thousand times more useless than ex-Canuck GM Jack Gordon they'd still be a good team. It's gonna be pretty much impossible not to have a good team when those 4 have a couple years under their belt.
There is nobody really hardcore protecting RNH and Hall yet though, and the West can smash them till kingdom come till they get injured again, so if Edmonton does get Yak, they better stock up on tough guys this offseason to protect them, and guaranteed they will play more dominant consistently with big guys helping/protecting them.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Nice, good for them. Stinking it up and getting tops picks is the best way to build a cup contender. Hopefully they add another major piece to the puzzle.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

CFP! wrote:Schultz FTW!
I would say Tambo's best move to date was unloading Dustin Penner and getting a first and a prospect defenseman in return.

Lotta knowledgeable people out there saying he got burned - badly - dealing Gilbert for Schultz, and I don't see any compelling reason to disagree (although I'm not a fan of Gilbert). Other than that the only other move he's made that wasn't straight up awful is trading Lubomir Visnovsky for Ryan Whitney. Shame with Whitney's injuries he's failed to become the better defenseman, at this point Edmonton got a worse player for cheaper and for one more year.
SKYO wrote:If they are smart they will sign some veteran UFA dmen and 4th liners to help protect and teach them youngins.
Isn't that exactly what they did last offseason (which put them in a position to draft Yakupov in the first place)?

The fact is the Oilers aren't going to be signing any Dan Hamhuis, Christian Ehrhoff type defenseman in unrestricted free agency - they are going to have to develop or trade for impact defensemen if they have any hope to be any good.

So far they have shown themselves pretty much unable to acquire impact players except via tanking and drafting at the top of the board.
RoyalDude wrote:You could put a whole bunch of Brent Sopels around Yak, RNH, Hall and Eberle, and you will still be good.
So Nail Yakupov is going to be the difference between 29th and... 22nd? 16th? 10th?

Hell of a player, evidently.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Nice, good for them. Stinking it up and getting tops picks is the best way to build a cup contender. Hopefully they add another major piece to the puzzle.
You do realize that good NHL teams require competent defencemen, forward depth and a decent goaltender to compete for the cup don't you ? Not to mention a GM and a president that would have trouble running a used furniture outlet let alone an NHL team would tend to be a bit of a red flag for any organization.