lawn care

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

lawn care

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

So i have some dandelions, moss and a few bald spots on the grass. The lot isn't huge. 60 X100 with an inground swimming pool in the back. i am a little anal about the grass and hate those ugly yellow flowers sprouting up. They used to sell a weedn/feed product that you connected to your hose and it was all good. All of the whiners have killed that program and it's no longer available . I used Scotts turf builder two years ago and the lawn looked great. Nice and green with very few weeds.

Last year I was so fucking busy with the cabin I let the grass grow on its own and didn't put any product in it. This year it's fucking riddled with moss and a few weeds. I put a 20 pound bag of weedn/feed through the fertilizer dispenser a couple weeks ago and the lawn looks a lot greener but the moss was still there. I sprayed on the moss killer yesterday and I want to see what that does before adding the scotts turf builder and the grass seed and soil to the bald patches in the back.

Any advice or products that anyone can suggest is welcome. Is there a particular amount of time one needs to wait in between dispensing these products ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: lawn care

Post by ODB »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:So i have some dandelions, moss and a few bald spots on the grass. The lot isn't huge. 60 X100 with an inground swimming pool in the back. i am a little anal about the grass and hate those ugly yellow flowers sprouting up. They used to sell a weedn/feed product that you connected to your hose and it was all good. All of the whiners have killed that program and it's no longer available . I used Scotts turf builder two years ago and the lawn looked great. Nice and green with very few weeds.

Last year I was so fucking busy with the cabin I let the grass grow on its own and didn't put any product in it. This year it's fucking riddled with moss and a few weeds. I put a 20 pound bag of weedn/feed through the fertilizer dispenser a couple weeks ago and the lawn looks a lot greener but the moss was still there. I sprayed on the moss killer yesterday and I want to see what that does before adding the scotts turf builder and the grass seed and soil to the bald patches in the back.

Any advice or products that anyone can suggest is welcome. Is there a particular amount of time one needs to wait in between dispensing these products ?
Well, the internet is riddled with horror stories so I believe each independent dealer varies so exercise extreme caution but, Weed Man has served me well. My lawn has been weed free, green and lush since I started using their service. It might be worth checking into. They come spray my lawn four times a year and it's only 230.00 a season.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

Healthy well drained lawns are a lot easier to weed.

I scored to get my parents' lawn aerated (and removed the plugs) in late fall one year that totally rehabilitated their lawns. Every couple of years and the lawn looked great every spring/early summer. Some sort of beetle larva invaded the neighbourhood and brought in racoons that tore up everyone's lawns.

<shrug> Free amateur aerating, I guess.

It might look a bit funky if you do it right now, but if we get a really wet spring and some heat/sun, the lawn might recover quickly enough.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Ohdee, those pricks at Weedman quoted my wife $350 to do 4 applications. Seems a bit steep considering have my yard is driveway/concrete/pool.

Right now i have spent $40 on fertilizer, $15 on seed and 14 on moss killer. i am not a cheap prick by any means but i have a ton of other bills staring at me in the face right now.

porp ,the areation is an option i guess but the lawn would look like shit if i tried to pull that off now.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Crocksmokers.... over 100 beaners more out there than they charge here. :shock:
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P