GDT: R1G1 - Canucks host Kings - 7:30

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

GDT: R1G1 - Canucks host Kings - 7:30

Post by Cornuck »

GAME ON!!!

It's about time. Is there anyone that's not ready for this?

Sounds like no Daniel, but the team will be ready for this one.

NHL.com Preview

THN.com Tale of the Tape

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: R1G1 - Canucks host Kings - 7:30

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Cornuck wrote: Is there anyone that's not ready for this?
I've been waiting to get pumped but it's just not coming to me yet... not to the degree I'd expect anyways. This whole year in fact has been different for me. For the first time ever (for me anyways) it's Cup or bust . Until we win the Cup, last season will always feel like the one that got away from us. I'm positive I'm not the only one in this boat as I've seen only a small fraction of Canuck car flags compared to what I saw this time last year.
2011..... the one that got away.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I'm with you EPC - I really haven't cared about the regular season. It didn't matter to me. Even this first round, it seems more like 'playoff exhibition' time. I think that once we're in the 2nd round thing will heat up.
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:it's Cup or bust.
!!

It's worrying, though, that Daniel isn't slated to be in the lineup. Here's hoping his brain is doing ok.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT: R1G1 - Canucks host Kings - 7:30

Post by clem »

Play off intensity reveals who has another gear, and who wants it most.

Bring on the real season.
spooner
CC Veteran

Post by spooner »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote: I've been waiting to get pumped but it's just not coming to me yet... not to the degree I'd expect anyways. This whole year in fact has been different for me. For the first time ever (for me anyways) it's Cup or bust . Until we win the Cup, last season will always feel like the one that got away from us. I'm positive I'm not the only one in this boat as I've seen only a small fraction of Canuck car flags compared to what I saw this time last year.
You nailed it Eddy. I've been thinking the same thing for the past few days. I am excited but it's nothing like the last couple years. I haven't heard my cat say a single word about the Canucks.

I think it's kinda like after you get laid for the first time. Going back to just making out just doesn't cut it anymore.

That being said, the ride to the finish line can still be a lot of fun. Hopefully we can make it through the foreplay and unlike last year, hopefully her dad doesn't come through the door as we're about to slide into home.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Don't be too complacent and forget to watch some games. Who here would be surprised by any of these 16 teams winning in the first round? This year's playoffs look about as tightly contested as we've ever seen. Bad bounces are going to happen and if Vancouver get nothing but perimeter shots into a wall of shot-blocking Kings, they'll find themselves in the upset column.

I hope it doesn't happen, but I don't want to die of shock if it does.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

This is it people. At my age it pretty much has to be this year.

The cup is no.1 on my bucket list..........well its tied with spending a night with Cindy Crawford. Aw hell Cindy can do herself.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Puck wrote:Don't be too complacent and forget to watch some games. Who here would be surprised by any of these 16 teams winning in the first round? This year's playoffs look about as tightly contested as we've ever seen. Bad bounces are going to happen and if Vancouver get nothing but perimeter shots into a wall of shot-blocking Kings, they'll find themselves in the upset column.

I hope it doesn't happen, but I don't want to die of shock if it does.

Agreed. I'll post this again. But I'll also add Vancouver can find someone to go on a streak just as likely as an opponent.

"Hockey is a little bit schizophrenic in this way. It holds two mutually contradictory values, the short-term and the long-term, and this is reflected in the structure of the season itself. The regular season is constructed to prize durable, sustainable talents, to average out streaks and slumps and give the favorable position to the most consistent teams. But then that reward is followed up by a tournament of ridiculously small sample sizes where any little surge of awesomeness, from anyone, no matter what their true talent level, might make the difference between a Cup ring and a golf cart. The game is designed, in the end, to give out its highest prizes based on unsustainable streaks."
spooner
CC Veteran

Post by spooner »

Larry Goodenough wrote: "Hockey is a little bit schizophrenic in this way. It holds two mutually contradictory values, the short-term and the long-term, and this is reflected in the structure of the season itself. The regular season is constructed to prize durable, sustainable talents, to average out streaks and slumps and give the favorable position to the most consistent teams. But then that reward is followed up by a tournament of ridiculously small sample sizes where any little surge of awesomeness, from anyone, no matter what their true talent level, might make the difference between a Cup ring and a golf cart. The game is designed, in the end, to give out its highest prizes based on unsustainable streaks."
Absolutely, Larry. That's why it's so important to build a team that can knock on the door for many years. By being there year after year, you can increase the sample sizes and the chance that it's your team that gets hot at the right time (or at least stays healthy).
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Playoffs baby!

Finally here, I can feel the excitement growing. Watching the beginning of the game should get the goose bumps going!

These guys should finally have their juices flowing and if they don't now they will in a few short hours. That taste of defeat is still there from last year and will drive this team to succeed.

They have the experience and some new blood to keep everything fresh and in perspective. I like the makeup of this team and the fact that they can be in cruise control and win the President's Trophy should have the rest of the league fearful of when the Canucks find their top gear.

It's going to be a bumpy ride in spots, no doubt, but I can't wait for another post-season to begin. I have all the confidence in the world in this team and the changes made will lead to overall success this year.

Just one extra win boys, one more this year!

Oh and as far as Jeff Carter goes, better see a few liberties taken on that ankle of his! Hack the bone, hack the bone!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!

ImageImageImageImage
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Aaronp18 wrote:Playoffs baby!
Hack the bone, hack the bone!!
Show no mercy! You can bet that Sutter's Kings will try to emulate Boston from 2011 and will be looking for any physical or psychological edge. They're gonna need it!

I look at the Canucks and I see a veteran-hardened team that is composed to make a long run at the cup again this year. I look at the KIngs and see a young, up-and-coming team looking to make a name for itself in the league. This makes for an interesting series but of all the series in the West this LA team is the one I would have most liked to play against.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

BELIEVE!
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

I gotta agree. No mercy and no let up.

Wanna block a shot, say goodbye to your ability to have kids and no "ballz of steel" chant for you!

I'm looking for Kesler and Booth to ignite and find 5th gear. Kelser has been in 2nd or 3rd all season but he's a guy they can ride the emotional wave and drag the team with him!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

From Canucks Facebook:
D. Sedin, Gragnani, Weise and Alberts did not skate this morning. Daniel Sedin will not play in Game 1 tonight against the Kings. Mason Raymond will slot in alongside Henrik Sedin.
NamedMyKidTrevor
AHL Prospect

Post by NamedMyKidTrevor »

It was a long season and now the real fun begins! :D

Any idea where to get a playoff towel in Victoria?
Let's hope your processes work in the playoffs