So CBC streams their playoff games online...

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: So CBC streams their playoff games online...

Post by tantalum »

Cornuck wrote: After trying Center Ice last year for the playoffs, I didn't renew this year. Any games the Canucks had were SD, plus most of their games were on Versus (NBC Sports), so I had to find a feed for almost every game until the finals.

They should include NBC Sports, NHL Network (which they do) with the Center Ice package. I have Dish, does DirecTV do it different?
I tend to watch the opponent feed if it's available. No idea what DirecTV does as they are a bunch of slimy bastards who screwed over just about everybody in our neighbourhood including us (they said we'd be able to get the 4 major networks if we asked the stations in a letter. They never decline those requests etc etc etc. Besides if they do you can get the other time zones! Sure I says sign me up. Then low and behold it comes out the local stations have never given permission to DirecTV and other time zones aren't an option in our area for the same reason. About 25-30 of us then cancelled the useless contract but had to pay the first year up front).
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

Arachnid wrote:There are all kinds of tweaks that the O.T.A. geeks are coming up with including a do-it-yersef antennae which is supposed to be kick-ass.

You might need 2 video cards if you wanna surf an watch or an iPad ;)
Hehe. Yeah, I was figuring on cobbling together something from scrap lying around.

No problem with surfing or doing anything else while the "TV" is on. Just can't have a fullscreen DX11 game running at the same time.

Having a really hard time waiting for 7.30p PST!
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

tantalum wrote:About 25-30 of us then cancelled the useless contract but had to pay the first year up front).
Ouch, that's rough man. I'm surprised there haven't been class action legal proceedings.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

porp wrote:
Arachnid wrote:There are all kinds of tweaks that the O.T.A. geeks are coming up with including a do-it-yersef antennae which is supposed to be kick-ass.

You might need 2 video cards if you wanna surf an watch or an iPad ;)
Hehe. Yeah, I was figuring on cobbling together something from scrap lying around.

No problem with surfing or doing anything else while the "TV" is on. Just can't have a fullscreen DX11 game running at the same time.

Having a really hard time waiting for 7.30p PST!
Cobble this...http://www.digitalhome.ca/ota/superantenna/index.htm

Some geeks have all the fun (and more money to spend on Beer!). Spidey Jr. and I have it on our project list (we just finished building a black light fluorescent aeroplane wind tunnel for his school science fair project...he got a 98 :drink: )

Yeah....can't wait for the game... I don't do the small screen though (well, during the regular season it's on a 13" MacBook Air screen and I'm in bed (games end at 1 AM here) I hook the uncompressed O.T.A to the 110" projector :mrgreen:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

porp wrote: Ouch, that's rough man. I'm surprised there haven't been class action legal proceedings.
There are actually and for that exact reason. DirecTV deflects blame by placing it on the local installer/distributor and vice versa.
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

Arachnid wrote:Cobble this...http://www.digitalhome.ca/ota/superantenna/index.htm

Some geeks have all the fun (and more money to spend on Beer!). Spidey Jr. and I have it on our project list (we just finished building a black light fluorescent aeroplane wind tunnel for his school science fair project...he got a 98 :drink: )

Yeah....can't wait for the game... I don't do the small screen though (well, during the regular season it's on a 13" MacBook Air screen and I'm in bed (games end at 1 AM here) I hook the uncompressed O.T.A to the 110" projector :mrgreen:
I love working with my hands; haven't had much opportunity lately. Been busy finishing my PhD thesis.

That's an awesome science fair project! What did you use to visualize turbulence - some UV fluorescent particles/powder?

Almost all of my media consumption at home is through my computer with dual 24" monitors. They're actually a touch bigger, in widescreen, than my old 27" Sony Trinitron.
tantalum wrote:There are actually and for that exact reason. DirecTV deflects blame by placing it on the local installer/distributor and vice versa.
Damned greasy cheats. Too bad about cable monopolies and vested interests otherwise we'd see a lot less of this garbage if there was actually some actual competition.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

porp wrote:
Arachnid wrote:Cobble this...http://www.digitalhome.ca/ota/superantenna/index.htm

I love working with my hands; haven't had much opportunity lately. Been busy finishing my PhD thesis.

That's an awesome science fair project! What did you use to visualize turbulence - some UV fluorescent particles/powder?

Almost all of my media consumption at home is through my computer with dual 24" monitors. They're actually a touch bigger, in widescreen, than my old 27" Sony Trinitron.
tantalum wrote:There are actually and for that exact reason. DirecTV deflects blame by placing it on the local installer/distributor and vice versa.
Damned greasy cheats. Too bad about cable monopolies and vested interests otherwise we'd see a lot less of this garbage if there was actually some actual competition.
He was showing how winglets increase a planes wings performance by changing the air dynamics around it. We used thread that was dipped in fluorescent paint, that had good flow without being too flimsy. He was invited to the city science fair as well, the big time!, he wants to be a pilot so very motivated. What is you thesis on?
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

Arachnid wrote:He was showing how winglets increase a planes wings performance by changing the air dynamics around it. We used thread that was dipped in fluorescent paint, that had good flow without being too flimsy. He was invited to the city science fair as well, the big time!, he wants to be a pilot so very motivated. What is you thesis on?
Nice! That's a very elegant solution to avoid using smoke or making a mess with powders. Although I guess nowadays, engineering jobs pay somewhat better than commercial airline pilots. But if you love your child, keep them away from a career in a non-physics science speaking as someone with a MSc in immunology!

Just finished the 2nd draft (one more to go) of a PhD thesis in molecular neuroscience, studying how brains work by manipulating DNA and proteins in brain cells from rats and mice that are grown on glass.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

porp wrote:
Arachnid wrote:He was showing how winglets increase a planes wings performance by changing the air dynamics around it. We used thread that was dipped in fluorescent paint, that had good flow without being too flimsy. He was invited to the city science fair as well, the big time!, he wants to be a pilot so very motivated. What is you thesis on?
Nice! That's a very elegant solution to avoid using smoke or making a mess with powders. Although I guess nowadays, engineering jobs pay somewhat better than commercial airline pilots. But if you love your child, keep them away from a career in a non-physics science speaking as someone with a MSc in immunology!

Just finished the 2nd draft (one more to go) of a PhD thesis in molecular neuroscience, studying how brains work by manipulating DNA and proteins in brain cells from rats and mice that are grown on glass.
He actually wants to study Environmental sciences, there is a university program at Waterloo that you get your commercial pilots licence at the same time. Amazing. Gonna cost me a bundle :eh:

We tried dry ice but to opaque, plus this is grade 9 juniors so we had to be careful with the hazards materials (you shoulda seen the non CSA fan built in Germany daddy picked up....dangerous :D )

Hey Mods, you can move this to the Bar & Grill yah know?! 8-)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Arachnid wrote:He actually wants to study Environmental sciences,
Slit his throat now.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:
Slit his throat now.
Bhahahahahaha! It's pretty broad, I think he'll do something with weather patterns...

http://www.aviation.uwaterloo.ca/geography/index.html

Not my field, I'm too busy saving the planet from people like you :evil:

http://www.transitionnetwork.org/
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

Arachnid wrote:He actually wants to study Environmental sciences, there is a university program at Waterloo that you get your commercial pilots licence at the same time. Amazing. Gonna cost me a bundle :eh:
:) Maybe I'll take back the thing about going into the sciences. That sounds like an amazing program and there are certainly interesting and well paid industry jobs for pilots with science degrees. Waterloo is a great university town, too. Have a friend who's a geologist and he spends about a third of the year up North, at a lot of different sites. Great pay, great job, but it's a bit rough on the family life.[/quote]
Arachnid wrote:Hey Mods, you can move this to the Bar & Grill yah know?! 8-)
:lol: Just working on game day jitters. Man, its only a quarter to 3.
Topper wrote:
Slit his throat now.
Are you in the sciences, too, Topper?
Arachnid wrote:Not my field, I'm too busy saving the planet from people like you :evil:
http://www.transitionnetwork.org/
Huh. That's highly cool stuff there. :thumbs:
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

Oh wow. HD right up close is wonderful. I've only seen it on normally placed TVs and stuff, but this is great. Just shooting out through the air, as good or better than through the cable (haven't noticed an artifact yet, as was already mentioned).
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

porp wrote:Oh wow. HD right up close is wonderful. I've only seen it on normally placed TVs and stuff, but this is great. Just shooting out through the air, as good or better than through the cable (haven't noticed an artifact yet, as was already mentioned).
I know eh?! Free Bestest HD...who'da thunk it?!

Old school antennae like our grandparents useta....

Dude, you gotta pick up a used 720p projector, fuck'n A eh?! They broadcast in 720p, bit torrents look great on it...look on Craigs...I know the bulbs a pricey but if you get a deal...plus video games are da bomb (makes 50" plasmas look glee by comparison 8-) )
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

Yah I know, right. I expect my future progeny to ask me if people used to dream in standard/low def.

I live in a shitty little apartment, not really the optimal configuration for a projector nor are the lighting conditions but yeah I've seen some *really* nice projectors and they're way cool.

Turns out that my cable/super-internet promotion is for a full year and doesn't expire until December and just the super-internet would cost more than the promo. Go figure.