The Playoff Picture

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: The Playoff Picture

Post by coco_canuck »

Zamboni Driver wrote: Yet the Kings seem to give us trouble and if Quick gets hot it could give us more trouble.
The game changes in the playoffs, so I wouldn't put too much stock in their regular season match-ups. If LA has some trouble dealing the Van's speed in the regular season, it'll be magnified in the post-season when the pace picks up even more.

As for Quick, he's a very talented goalie having a great year, and it should be a matter of time for him to have some playoff success. But he's yet to have even average playoff success, and a lot of that has to do with opponents preying on his weaknesses in the playoffs.

Quick has a tendency to get beat up high and he can have trouble with his rebounds. The rebound control comes from confidence and comfort, so we'll see if he can control his nerves better in the playoffs. As for getting beat up top, I heard Kevin Woodley talking about it recently, and he expressed concern over Quick's ability to overcome extensive playoff scouting.
CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Post by CorranHorn »

IMO, the biggest question mark(s) about the kings this post-season is going to be the performance of Carter and Richards.

While Carter has a decent 21 points in 47 post-season games, Richards has 50 points in 63 games. I know they haven't been playing at that pace that last little bit here, but the playoffs are an entirely different beast. So it it isn't out of the realm of possibility for them to play at that pace.While I don't know if they either of them can play like that on this team, there is evidence to suggest that they could carry the team.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

So even though the 16 playoff teams are all solidified, there is a lot of movement that could happen after tomorrow's games.

In the East..
  1. Rangers have this locked up.
  2. Bruins have this locked up.
  3. If the Panthers lose in regulation to the Hurricanes and the Capitals win (any win) they'll finish here, otherwise this is the Panthers spot.
  4. Philadelphia has this spot locked up.
  5. The Devils have this one locked up.
  6. If Washington win and the Panthers pick up at least a point and Senators fail to pick up any points against the Devils then the Capitals will finish here, otherwise this is the Sens spot.
  7. Any of the Panthers, Senators or Capitals can finish here - if the Capitals fail to beat the Rangers they'll be assured this spot.
In the West it's much more interesting:
  1. Will be Vancouver if they pick up any points against Edmonton or if St. Louis loses to Dallas (regulation or not), otherwise the Blues can grab it.
  2. Whoever does not win the race above.
  3. Will be Phoenix if they win, or if they get to overtime and San Jose gets to overtime vs. Los Angeles. If Los Angeles wins in regulation and Phoenix loses in overtime or the shootout they will have an equal number of points and regulation wins and the Kings will have 8 points collected to Phoenix's 7 in their season series.
  4. Will be Nashville if they collect any points against Colorado, if they lose in regulation and Detroit wins then the Red Wings can pass them.
  5. Will be Detroit if they do not pass Nashville (in which case, obviously, it would be Nashville) or if the Blackhawks beat the Red Wings in regulation they can pass them by tying in points and ROWs and winning the season series.
  6. With a Coyotes win they will clinch third. With a Coyotes regulation tie and a Kings regulation win over the Sharks the Kings will clinch third and the Coyotes will finish here. With a Coyotes regulation tie and a Kings overtime or shootout win this will be the Kings. With any victory by San Jose vs. the Kings this will be the Sharks.
  7. This will be the loser of the Kings/Sharks game.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

By the time our game starts we should know if the PT is in play or not. NRY get 2 points and we play for top in the West. Failing that then the TP is in play when we start our game.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

It's starting to look as though your Vancouver Canucks might not hafta leave the time zone through the first 2 rounds.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

When I watch LA play it always seems like they are satisfied just keeping the puck deep in the offensive zone and any scoring chances are a bonus. Their d never really pinch and their centre plays so high that LA almost has 3 point men and very few odd man rushes against. LA is so focused on minimizing the other teams goals that they don't really open it up even when they are losing.
CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Post by CorranHorn »

dbr wrote:So even though the 16 playoff teams are all solidified, there is a lot of movement that could happen after tomorrow's games.

In the East..
  3. If the Panthers lose in regulation to the Hurricanes and the Capitals win (any win) they'll finish here, otherwise this is the Panthers spot.
  6. If Washington win and the Panthers pick up at least a point and Senators fail to pick up any points against the Devils then the Capitals will finish here, otherwise this is the Sens spot.
  7. Any of the Panthers, Senators or Capitals can finish here - if the Capitals fail to beat the Rangers they'll be assured this spot.
In the West it's much more interesting:
  1. Will be Vancouver if they pick up any points against Edmonton or if St. Louis loses to Dallas (regulation or not), otherwise the Blues can grab it.
  2. Whoever does not win the race above.
  3. Will be Phoenix if they win, or if they get to overtime and San Jose gets to overtime vs. Los Angeles. If Los Angeles wins in regulation and Phoenix loses in overtime or the shootout they will have an equal number of points and regulation wins and the Kings will have 8 points collected to Phoenix's 7 in their season series.
  4. Will be Nashville if they collect any points against Colorado, if they lose in regulation and Detroit wins then the Red Wings can pass them.
  5. Will be Detroit if they do not pass Nashville (in which case, obviously, it would be Nashville) or if the Blackhawks beat the Red Wings in regulation they can pass them by tying in points and ROWs and winning the season series.
  6. With a Coyotes win they will clinch third. With a Coyotes regulation tie and a Kings regulation win over the Sharks the Kings will clinch third and the Coyotes will finish here. With a Coyotes regulation tie and a Kings overtime or shootout win this will be the Kings. With any victory by San Jose vs. the Kings this will be the Sharks.
  7. This will be the loser of the Kings/Sharks game.

Pittsburgh
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Benjo wrote:When I watch LA play it always seems like they are satisfied just keeping the puck deep in the offensive zone and any scoring chances are a bonus. Their d never really pinch and their centre plays so high that LA almost has 3 point men and very few odd man rushes against. LA is so focused on minimizing the other teams goals that they don't really open it up even when they are losing.
Sounds like a team that went to the finals in 2004.....oh riiiiiight. :roll:

A Sutter is simply not equipped to draw up an offensive gameplan. It's almost a given that a 2 goal lead will yield a win against the Kings.....regardless of how early on their opponent gets that lead.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Hockey Widow wrote:By the time our game starts we should know if the PT is in play or not. NRY get 2 points and we play for top in the West. Failing that then the TP is in play when we start our game.
I think they would be excited at a chance to play for a 2nd league title, but they will show their excitement on the ice (and not be shitting themselves at the thought)

:eh: ;)
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

CorranHorn wrote:
dbr wrote:So even though the 16 playoff teams are all solidified, there is a lot of movement that could happen after tomorrow's games.

In the East..
Pittsburgh
Right, of course. They've got 4th for sure which obviously means Flyers are 5th, Devils 6th and the two remaining spots are 7th & 8th.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

vic wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:By the time our game starts we should know if the PT is in play or not. NRY get 2 points and we play for top in the West. Failing that then the TP is in play when we start our game.
I think they would be excited at a chance to play for a 2nd league title, but they will show their excitement on the ice (and not be shitting themselves at the thought)

:eh: ;)

To me the playoffs start tonight. One game for top spot in the West, maybe top spot overall. This game means something dam it. It means something to the owner who allows MG to spend to the cap and who pays salaries in the minors so we have depth. It means something to all the fans who buy the tickets to make sure we keep setting records on consecutive sell outs. It means something to the fans who watch every game no matter where they are. It means something to the guy sitting next to each player who sacrifices a nut, leg, hip, eye and whatever else to win at all costs. It means something to those Flame fans who right now are enjoying the thought that they had something to do with us NOT finishing 1st.

If you told the players at the beginning of the year that you get to play one game, game 82, and it means top spot would they have taken that at the start of the year? This game shows me that they can flip a switch and get serious, or not. This game means something to me. So tonight I want, I expect, I demand they play if like a playoff game.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Speaking of the playoffs, it looks like the Pens will be this year's most hated, despised, arrogant, whinny, diving hockey team. Torts has a head start at making sure thats how everyone sees them. Listening to him brought back memories of last year's playoffs and how all the Canuck hate started by a few lead to the whole media joining in on the hate on.

The press here in Canada has been a little contrite when discussing the Canucks this year and I think that they will get equal billing as Canada's darling.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Hockey Widow wrote:Speaking of the playoffs, it looks like the Pens will be this year's most hated, despised, arrogant, whinny, diving hockey team. Torts has a head start at making sure thats how everyone sees them. Listening to him brought back memories of last year's playoffs and how all the Canuck hate started by a few lead to the whole media joining in on the hate on.

The press here in Canada has been a little contrite when discussing the Canucks this year and I think that they will get equal billing as Canada's darling.
Honestly - I still think it will be Vancouver. The "Crosby factor" will make it almost impossible for the Pens to be hated since, "Crosby coming back from injury and leading the team deep" has too much of a "feel good" story to it.

If anything, I actually think the Pens will be the most "popular" team within the media and fans.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Fucking kings.....
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:To me the playoffs start tonight. One game for top spot in the West, maybe top spot overall. This game means something dam it. It means something to the owner who allows MG to spend to the cap and who pays salaries in the minors so we have depth. It means something to all the fans who buy the tickets to make sure we keep setting records on consecutive sell outs. It means something to the fans who watch every game no matter where they are. It means something to the guy sitting next to each player who sacrifices a nut, leg, hip, eye and whatever else to win at all costs. It means something to those Flame fans who right now are enjoying the thought that they had something to do with us NOT finishing 1st.

If you told the players at the beginning of the year that you get to play one game, game 82, and it means top spot would they have taken that at the start of the year? This game shows me that they can flip a switch and get serious, or not. This game means something to me. So tonight I want, I expect, I demand they play if like a playoff game.
Can they flip the switch?

Well a 3-0 win should have answered that.

For me it didn't. Had it been against any team other than the Oilers than it would have.