Predictions for 2011-12

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Re: Predictions for 2011-12

Post by Rumsfeld »

LotusBlossom wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:I was referring to the last three playoffs, Dave. There were a couple of game sixes against the Hawks where I recall some less than stellar netminding...

*stabs Patrick Kane voodoo doll in eye with hot bobby pin*
Do it to his chest too! Might swell up the tic tacs he tries to pass off as one. :?
:lol:
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Rumsfeld wrote:I was referring to the last three playoffs, Dave. There were a couple of game sixes against the Hawks where I recall some less than stellar netminding...

*stabs Patrick Kane voodoo doll in eye with hot bobby pin*
Ahh, fair enough. The last game always seems to be particularly ugly.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

I predict the Sens and Blues will more than the mid pack in terms of the playoff race.

WTF?
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Cornuck wrote: * Hodgson will get his chance before Kesler comes back and then demand a trade. He'll be stuck in Wolf-town all year.
Just sayin'.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

This thread was a fun read-through, and I thought worthy of a bump.

The one big surprise that nobody predicted was Ballard having more health issues. Most expected either a recovery or press-box time, but a return to his previous iron-man status.
Cornuck wrote:Hodgson will get his chance before Kesler comes back and then demand a trade. He'll be stuck in Wolf-town all year.
Half-right anyways :P

Biggest surprise for me is Hamhuis. I don't think anybody predicted him putting up the offensive numbers he has. After seeing his SH outlet passes last night, I realize he has gone a long way to replacing Ehrhoff.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

what happened to rummy?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I am hoping a few show up for the playoffs..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

rats19 wrote:I am hoping a few show up for the playoffs..
:hmmm:

:scowl:

Meh, I'm so bored, I started my playoff drinking weeks ago. Rum's already long gone, I'm into weird shit like grappa and akvavit now.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Mëds wrote:Mëds 20 predictions.

In chronological order.....

1. Luongo starts out like a man possessed and silences all critics by the end of November with Vezina talk already brewing by Thanksgiving.
Epic fail.
Mëds wrote: 2. Ballard makes good use of his extra minutes and sends a gift basket of mini-muffins to the greedy kraut in Buffalo.
Started looking like he would, then Vigneault struck again, then he got hurt.....no mini-muffins for Ehrhoff.
Mëds wrote: 3. Samuelsson starts off looking good but is either demoted or traded by mid November.
Yeah, that's right. I called it.
Mëds wrote: 4. Our PP doesn't regain its form with the lack of a true Sniper on the second unit and opponents making a point of doing nothing but taking away the Sedin's passing lanes.
Well.....sorta, but that just happened later in the season.
Mëds wrote: 5. Schneider gets 4 starts by the end of November and continues his solid play. The media credits him with pushing Lou. Lou begins to come back down to earth, vultures begin to circle.....again.
WAY off.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Mëds wrote: 6. Sedins struggle out of the gate as teams play them physical and take liberties because they aren't afraid of our struggling powerplay. Both on pace for a 75 point season and speculators continue to speculate. Burrows sticks with the top line by being on pace for 70 points, albeit with a good number of them coming shorthanded and on shifts following a PP.
So that's a bit off, and Burrows is 20 points behind what I called for. But he's still proving that he's the BEST money deal in the NHL. Really elevating his linemates when playing shifts away from the Sedins.
Mëds wrote: 7. Kesler continues to prove himself as a top 3 forward by carrying the team at both ends of the ice and sitting in the top 3 in scoring as we roll into December.
Really not doing well so far, am I..... :look:
Mëds wrote: 8. Schneider gets 5 stars from Nov 10 - Dec 15, wins 4 of them, but the team is playing .500 hockey. Media and fans are all over Luongo and trade rumors abound. Gillis denies rumors but confirms speculation about inquiries from several teams.
This happened at a different time during the season, and it was HW who threw it out there that there were talks.....
Mëds wrote: 9. Our third line provides the boost the team needed to off-set the lack of production from the Sedins. Malhotra shows signs of having lost something to his injury in the faceoff circle but still is in the top 10 centers in the league in that department.
That was pretty much the money pick there. The 3rd line with CoHo really lifted the team when it was needed. Manny has lost something, but he's still a quality guy on the 4th line.
Mëds wrote: 10. With a floundering PP and the majority of our losses being the result of "sticking to our gameplan" with no adjustments while opposing teams do their homework and give us nothing Gillis gives Vigneault the axe and a new coach takes the reigns.
OK, so AV is still here, but most of our losses have been the result of that "gameplan".....so have most of our 1 goal wins.....
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Mëds wrote: 11. The room feels the shake up and the New Year shows a new team.
No shake up, but the team put it together in late November and climbed from 10th to 1st in the West, then found ways to win despite scoring woes and inconsistent play.
Mëds wrote: 12. Luongo plays like a top 20-goalie for January and then has people talking Vezina again from February on out.
Whaaaaa.....brutal call. :wow:
Mëds wrote: 13. Higgins returns to his Montreal form and the Sedins up the ante with some latter-half season performances that have Flames fans crying.
Higgins, yes. Sedins, no.
Mëds wrote: 14. Canucks win another division title. And finish 2nd in the West, behind LA, with the only other NW team in the top 8 being Minnesota who finish 7th and are knocked out by us in the opening round of the playoffs.
Oh yeah on the NW Division Title call. LA and Minny total disappointments there. Who woulda thunk St. Louis eh wot.....
Mëds wrote: 15. We sweep Columbus in the 2nd round and take the King's in 7. Kesler, Luongo, Burrows, and Bieksa all being talked about for the Conn Smythe.
:lol:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Mëds wrote: 16. Luongo finally gets his ring, Vancouver gets their banner and their parade, 41 years of sadness come to a close.
Still hoping here.
Mëds wrote: 17. Kesler wins his second Selke and the Messier leadership award. Luongo gets his Vezina, Burrows owns the Conn Smythe (5 game winners including 2 game 7's), Gillis gets another GM of the Year award.
Wishful thinking, Burrows and Gillis still have a shot though.
Mëds wrote: 18. Following massive success and wanting to compete again next year, Gillis looks at the salary cap and shakes the hockey world by dealing away Luongo, and the rights to Mason Raymond to New Jersey for the rights to Zach Parise (with whom Jersey has been unable to come to terms long term). The media frenzy is sick. The Devil's are thrilled to be replacing the retiring Brodeur with Luongo while questions about Vancouver's crease are rampant. Gillis points to Schneiders 20-4-4 record, 2 SO's, and his < 2.50 GAA and .910 SV%.
OK, this could still happen. Not even kidding.....except for the fact that Parise is UFA and not RFA. Oh yeah, and Schneids is actually 20-8-1 with 3 SO's, a 1.96 and a .937. ;)
Mëds wrote: 19. Gillis inks Parise (who is coming off a 42 goal season) to 5 years in a seriously front-loaded $6M cap hit contract. Edler is re-upped to the same deal as Bieksa and Tanev and Hodgson are given their first 1-way contracts at $1.2M each for 2 years. Sturm signs on for another $2M and Rome is released to UFAgency.
Well, Parise isn't getting 42. Edler will be re-upped. Tanev will get his 1-way deal (if he's not still under his rookie contract next year). CoHo is gone. Sturm has been for a long time. Rome should be released.
Mëds wrote: 20. Schneider is re-signed for 3 years to a back-loaded contract that counts $2.5M on the cap and Gillis signs Marty Turco for $1M as a back-up to play 30 games and work with Schneider and Eddie Lack who spends half the year with the big club on a 2-way deal and plays 10 games.
This won't surprise me. Schneider will probably end up on a contract that will pay him around $2.5M, chances are slim it is any longer than 2 years, but 3 isn't impossible. I would love to get Turco in here for a year to backup Schneider if Lou is dealt, his puck-handling prowess is the best the league may have ever seen and Schneider could use some mentoring in that area. IF Lou is traded I do expect to see Lack up here for at least a few games.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

bipolar are we now? ;P
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.