The President's Trophy & Remaining Games

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: The President's Trophy & Remaining Games

Post by dbr »

Mëds wrote:Winning on points alone, the chips are in Vancouver's favor based on opponents.
Yeah I guess. Certainly I'd take Pittsburgh and Washington at the beginning of any season to finish above (way above) Calgary and Edmonton at the end of the year.

In a one-off game at the end of the year that may not be the case though; Edmonton actually has a marginally better record in their last ten (5-3-2) than Pittsburgh in theirs (5-4-1) and of course spanked us twice at the end of last season.

Meanwhile Washington might have something to play for but in my opinion that team is simply unpredictable beyond the sure bet that they will generally be a disappointment.. in their last ten they've beat some of the better teams in the league (Detroit, Boston) and also pissed away a chance to put Buffalo squarely in their rearview mirror, gave away a game that was tied late in Tampa, etc.

I'm not saying the Canucks won't win it, it's just that the Rangers control the race at this point. Like dhabums said though, both teams would have to advance to the Finals for it to even matter.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

dbr wrote: In a one-off game at the end of the year that may not be the case though; Edmonton actually has a marginally better record in their last ten (5-3-2) than Pittsburgh in theirs (5-4-1) and of course spanked us twice at the end of last season.
Edmonton beat us in 2 games that had ZERO meaning for us. We might has well be talking about exhibition games.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Mondi wrote: We are witnesses to a fantastic era for Canucks hockey.
I agree. Watching the Nucks win game after game after game is an incredible feeling as a die hard Canuck fan.

So when the Nucks fall back to earth (as a normal team typically does), it's tough for Canuck fans to stomach and everyone starts becoming anxious.

We are so unbelievably lucky to have a team that won a pres cup last year and is legitimately contending for one this year. 82 games is a hell of a lot of games especially considering how many games we played last season but our boys prevailed and once again, we're on top of the league.

Fantastic forwards. Responsible back end. And two of the best goalies in the world.

Yup. This is (almost) as good as it gets.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

wrong thread
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Fuck the Presidents trophy and all the followers...the Canucks only have one thing left to prove....how will you feel if they peak to early win this stupid trophy/banner only to fall short of a Cup again?

Screw it, I say, let them focus and us on one thing and one thing only... 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Arachnid wrote:Fuck the Presidents trophy and all the followers...the Canucks only have one thing left to prove....how will you feel if they peak to early win this stupid trophy/banner only to fall short of a Cup again?

Screw it, I say, let them focus and us on one thing and one thing only... 8-)
Yup! A Vezina for Luongo!

:wink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Per wrote: Yup! A Vezina for Luongo!

:wink:
I'd prefer a Conn Smythe.

:thumbs:
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Mondi wrote:I find it interesting that no one seemingly cared about the President's Trophy until it became a reality (me included).
Haha so true! It seemed so abstract a couple of weeks ago.
If (and most certainly when) we are able to take a step back and consider what the Sedin-era Canucks have done it must be noted that it is nothing short of unprecedented for this franchise. And a great era by comparison to almost any of the good franchises over the last 20 years (save the one important accomplishment).
Well said. The "step back" is always difficult to do when we all are so immersed in the day-to-day of the team, but comparing the Sedin Era to the WCE Era, there really is no comparison. The WCE era was considered great because we had a 45 point defenseman, a superstar scorer who could never clinch the Art Ross or even get nominated for the Hart, an enigmatic but premier power forward, only one division banner, and one playoff series win.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

ESQ wrote:Well said. The "step back" is always difficult to do when we all are so immersed in the day-to-day of the team, but comparing the Sedin Era to the WCE Era, there really is no comparison. The WCE era was considered great because we had a 45 point defenseman, a superstar scorer who could never clinch the Art Ross or even get nominated for the Hart, an enigmatic but premier power forward, only one division banner, and one playoff series win.
I agree with you ESQ that there is no comparison between the current era and the WCE one even without taking a step back but give credit where credit is due. Nazzy finished second in Hart Trophy voting in 2002/2003 and walked away with the Lester B. Pearson. If not for his infamous "choke" job in the 2-0 shutout loss to LA in game 82, he would have walked away with the Maurice Richard, Art Ross (and likely) the Hart as well. Not too shabby. But like Luongo, Nazzy has become somewhat of a whipping boy. This team with the goaltending of the WCE era.... well let's just say the difference wouldn't be too great.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Be nice to win the Presidents 2 years running.. but not as important as being tops in the West.. Give the Blues (3 points back of the Nucks) home ice advantage and its an uphill struggle.. they have only lost 6 games on home ice all season.. On the other hand they are below 50% on the road.. This is the team that could go all the way if given home ice advantage but they have 2 home games against Detroit and Phoenix and 1 game against Dallas on the road to play.. Odds still in Vancouvers favor but we can't afford to lose by playing bad games against bad teams..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

I don't know about St. Louis.

They've had great results this year obviously, but I think their lack of ability to put pucks in the net will hurt them at some point. That, combined with their lack of playoff experience in recent years, combined with their suspicious mediocre road record, gives me a few doubts about them. They will still be very tough to beat I suspect, but I can't see them going all the way.

I actually think that an LA Kings team that gets their shit together would pose far more of a threat. The Kings can already play great defensive hockey. If guys like Carter, etc., get going, then they'll be dangerous on both sides of the rink.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

My opinion for the Presidents Trophy is this: Win the damn thing, and do whatever you can to do it.

Have no fear about getting injured or resting. Whatever happens happens. The injury to Daniel Sedin is proof that injuries can occur at anytime.......whether one is "coasting" or going balls out. Let's win BOTH cups.

A Presidents' Trophy pales in comparison to a Stanley Cup, but it's an achievement nonetheless.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

IF (big if see wot) we win the Presidents trophy it will be an acheivement indeed. Teams do not often win two in a row.

If we do not win it I personally could care less if that banner is in the rafters or not.

As a matter of fact, down the road, looking up and seeing two Presidents trophy banners and no Cup banners would only serve to remind me of opportunity lost.

Which would suck.

JUST....WIN....A....CUP.
DeLevering since 1999.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Last year it felt inevitable that we would win the PT, just seemed like we had such a deep team and it just felt right. This year I don't feel as good about the team heading into the playoffs. Not sure if its just my expectations or if the team seems more fragile, more vulnerable this year.
The only HW the Canucks need
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Call me a retarded cuzin fukr...but I think we are stronger
In goal
4 lines with depth...
A tad weaker on defense...
I think we can go all the way with the normal needed things every champ team needs to win...

Health, puck luck etc..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….