The President's Trophy & Remaining Games

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

The President's Trophy & Remaining Games

Post by Cornuck »

Despite our poor start and disinterested end of the season, we're 2 points out of first overall. People have said that we shouldn't chase it, and save 'it' for the playoffs. While I agree that going balls out when we have the #2 spot locked up isn't a wise plan, maybe we'll win 1st overall by virtue of our remaining schedule.

One road game, no dominant teams, then we end it with a 'playoff like' every other day. Nice.

Mar 26 - Los Angeles
Mar 28 - Colorado
Mar 30 - Dallas
Mar 31 - Calgary
Apr 3 - Anaheim
Apr 5 - @ Calgary
Apr 7 - Edmonton

Meanwhile St Louis has:
Mar 25 - @ Phoenix
Mar 27 - Nashville
Mar 29 - @ Chicago
Mar 31 - Columbus
Apr 4 - Detroit
Apr 6 - Phoenix
Apr 7 - @ Dallas

3 road games, Nashville, Detroit.

In the East, the Rangers have a few tough games and 4 on the road.

Mar 27 - @ Minnesota
Mar 28 - @ Winnipeg
Mar 30 - Montreal
Apr 1 - Boston
Apr 3 - @ Philadelphia
Apr 5 - @ Pittsburgh
Apr 7 - Washington

Pittsburgh has 3 road games and face Philly twice, the Rangers and Boston once each.
Philly's in the same boat as the Pens.

Anyone coming out of the Pacific will have already been playing 'playoff hockey' for the past 2 weeks.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: The President's Trophy & Remaining Games

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Cornuck wrote: One road game, no dominant teams, then we end it with a 'playoff like' every other day. Nice.

Mar 26 - Los Angeles
Mar 28 - Colorado
Mar 30 - Dallas
Mar 31 - Calgary
Apr 3 - Anaheim
Apr 5 - @ Calgary
Apr 7 - Edmonton
I like the last four games. LA, Colorado and Dallas are all fighting for their playoff lives. The Canucks have played these kind of games recently (vs Dal and Col) and done just fine, I think it's good for them to get into meaningful hockey games before the playoffs, even if they're only truly meaningful for one team. The last four should be a time to sharpen the tools heading into the playoffs. Enough tinkering, set the lines, set the PP/PK and let's roll. While Anaheim, Calgary and Edmonton surely won't roll over and die, they aren't going to the dance so the Canucks might as well pump the piss out of them to prep for the real season.

Anyone coming out of the Pacific will have already been playing 'playoff hockey' for the past 2 weeks.
Which can be both a blessing and a curse. Will they use that momentum to roll into the first round, or will they gas out after blowing their load just trying to get into the dance?
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Cornuck wrote:Despite our poor start and disinterested end of the season, we're 2 points out of first overall.
Make that tied for first, the Blues got beat by the mighty Blue Jackets, :P NY lost today....
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Zamboni Driver wrote:
Cornuck wrote:
Make that tied for first, the Blues got beat by the mighty Blue Jackets, :P NY lost today....
What a difference a week makes...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Cornuck wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote:
Cornuck wrote:
Ya a week ago we were only 2nd in the West and bouncing between 2nd and 3rd overall. We were so shitty just last week and now...

I mean we still may end up 2nd in the West and 3rd in the league and that would be a losing season :D
The only HW the Canucks need
CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Post by CorranHorn »

Hockey Widow wrote: Ya a week ago we were only 2nd in the West and bouncing between 2nd and 3rd overall. We were so shitty just last week and now...

I mean we still may end up 2nd in the West and 3rd in the league and that would be a losing season :D
This city is sooo silly
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Hockey Widow wrote: We were so shitty just last week and now...
Yep, better fire the coach, send all the players back to the AHL. :roll:
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Cornuck wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote:
Cornuck wrote:
Exactly.

The loss to the Hawks was EXACTLY what the good doctor ordered. I also feel that the injury to Daniel kind of woke up the team........and made them realize (well....maybe not realize.....since these guys aren't stupid....but at least fully appreciate) that

1) nothing is guaranteed. Injuries can occur at anytime.

2) Even if one is trying to "rest up" and "take it easy" for when it matters most, injuries can still occur.

Going balls out isn't necessary when gearing up for a long playoff run, but playing like a bunch of pansies isn't acceptable either. Think this is what the Canucks realized after their loss to Chicago.
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

Farhan Lalji wrote: Exactly.

The loss to the Hawks was EXACTLY what the good doctor ordered.
I would be inclined to say the game against the Hawks is exactly what the good doctor ordered.

They were clearly far more ready to play that night than they had been previously.

The loss may have been the maraschino cherry however.

Farhan Lalji wrote: I also feel that the injury to Daniel kind of woke up the team........
I don't know if it did the precise things you are suggesting but I do think it pissed them off and provided both a galvanizing effect and motivation for games thereafter.
DeLevering since 1999.
newcanuckfan
CC Veteran

Post by newcanuckfan »

The President's Trophy is possible, but in an almost backhanded way for the team - certainly not what I'd expect them to be gunning for vs. last year. I think as a group they're beyond wanting/needing to prove anything.

But....1st in the West seems to be in their cross-hairs. From today's scrum (via Canucks Twitter feed):

"3 games left. It's our goal to win the Conference. That's within striking distance." - Higgins
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

2 games to go. Tied with the Rangers for top spot overall.

Rangers have the Penguins and Capitals on the menu, and I'll be surprised if they take 4 points away from those games. Pittsburgh is red hot lately, and Washington is in a fight for a playoff spot.

We have Calgary and Edmonton on our card. Both are divisional rivals, and both would love to spoil a back-to-back President's Trophy for us. Both are completely out of the playoff picture and Vancouver should be able to take both games.

Of course, anything can happen.

An aside on the Ranger's.....

Henrik Lundqvist, one of, if not the, best goaltenders in the NHL this year played the 3rd period of tonight's game against Philly with an injury. He said after the game that he could hardly hold onto his stick at times. As much as that says "warrior" and he got the win, I was much more impressed with Luongo's bowing out with a nagging sore neck. If that's a playoff game and you have a goalie who can't hold onto his stick, I'm not sure he's the best option. It is Lundqvist though.....
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Probably still a better option than Marty Biron.

The Rangers have five more ROWs than the Canucks so we will have to beat them on points to take the Trophy; at this point it's certainly possible but with the Rags winning 7 of their last 10 I could certainly see them bagging two more.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

dbr wrote:Probably still a better option than Marty Biron.

The Rangers have five more ROWs than the Canucks so we will have to beat them on points to take the Trophy; at this point it's certainly possible but with the Rags winning 7 of their last 10 I could certainly see them bagging two more.
It's possible, but they are up against a very tough opponent in Pittsburgh. Every game in the NHL is up for grabs though.

Ovechkin will likely put on a show if it means playoffs or no playoffs in Washington.

Winning on points alone, the chips are in Vancouver's favor based on opponents.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

The Pres would be nice, but 1st in the West is actually more important. Rangers won't be in the SCF, so we'll have home ice.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Mëds wrote:

It's possible, but they are up against a very tough opponent in Pittsburgh. Every game in the NHL is up for grabs though.

Ovechkin will likely put on a show if it means playoffs or no playoffs in Washington.

Winning on points alone, the chips are in Vancouver's favor based on opponents.
#1. Kudos on the use of apostrophes. (or apostrophe's)

#2. The SE could come down to 3rd with home ice or 9th.