3rd line appreciation

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: 3rd line appreciation

Post by Hockey Widow »

I wonder how Kassian would do with Booth and Kesler if he planted himself in front of the net and allowed kesler and Booth to fire away. If he could develop a net presence he could be our Holmstrom, one can dream.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:I wonder how Kassian would do with Booth and Kesler if he planted himself in front of the net and allowed kesler and Booth to fire away. If he could develop a net presence he could be our Holmstrom, one can dream.
That's the ideal, but you can see he has some things to learn obviously being a 21 year old rookie.

I think going through the playoffs this season and going through a solid work out regimen this offseason he should be miles ahead in the NHL 'intelligence' game for next season.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote: That's the ideal, but you can see he has some things to learn obviously being a 21 year old rookie.
Was it a unknown 'project' that this team needed, considering the aging the Sedins, and the luxury of having two amazing goalies in which we won't have next year and the Sedins will be 32 at the start of next season? I thought the time to win was now?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Farhan Lalji

Re: 3rd line appreciation d

Post by Farhan Lalji »

RoyalDude wrote:
SKYO wrote: That's the ideal, but you can see he has some things to learn obviously being a 21 year old rookie.
Was it a unknown 'project' that this team needed, considering the aging the Sedins, and the luxury of having two amazing goalies in which we won't have next year and the Sedins will be 32 at the start of next season? I thought the time to win was now?
My thoughts exactly.

It is my hope that the Canucks try and put together a package this summer (Schneider, Schroeder, Edler, 1st) that would land us a young elite center that can successfully take over as the team's number one center as the twins begin to gradually decline into 0.9 or 0.85 PPG players. That way - we still maintain our dominance down the middle, while the twins continue their dominance on the 2nd line against weaker lines and defensive pairings (perhaps even continuing to be above PPG players in a 2nd line capacity).

As Kassian develops into the player that we want, he can then play alongside our new young/elite center.

If Schneider is who we're trading away, Tavares is the guy I had in mind (I.e. Putting together a package for a guy like Tavares).
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:

No, no it wasn't RD.
The only HW the Canucks need
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan »

RoyalDude wrote:Was it a unknown 'project' that this team needed, considering the aging the Sedins, and the luxury of having two amazing goalies in which we won't have next year and the Sedins will be 32 at the start of next season? I thought the time to win was now?
I would not characterize the twins as "aging" just yet! :) And, given their good health, their commitment to fitness, and their relatively good injury tally, I think we can expect to see, at least another couple of years of first-line-worthy performance from these guys.

As far as "winning now" is concerned - how do you guarantee that? The reality is that getting deep into the playoffs is about all that a good team can possibly project. Beyond that...there are just too many variables (look at our own 2004 history). So, a good GM is always looking to the future of the team, whether it's near or far. And, it's rarely worthwhile to "crater" your team at the deadline for the sake of some "star". That's something Burke might try, though... :lol:

And we do have the luxury of having a couple of star goalies (thank the gods!). One of whom might be dealt this summer for the right return. But, if the offers are not up to scratch, I think GMMG will opt to keep both!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Farhan, you give up 4 assets for 1 like that, and you'll have this team gutted in no time.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

Orcasfan wrote:I would not characterize the twins as "aging" just yet! :) And, given their good health, their commitment to fitness, and their relatively good injury tally, I think we can expect to see, at least another couple of years of first-line-worthy performance from these guys.
Players like Lidstrom, Selanne, Chelios, &c. aren't exactly a dime a dozen, but those who keep contributing at a high level into their late 30's and beyond tend to be more intellectual players which the Sedins definitely are. Hmm, Larionov didn't retire until he was 46, although his last NHL season was at 45, but he did very consistently put up good 3rd line/decent 2nd line numbers throughout his career barring injury shortened seasons. Even in the 01-02/02-03 seasons with the Wings at the age of 42, 43, his point totals were on the high end of his career range.

What are your opinions on whether the Sedins can keep adapting their game once their bodies start feeling the effects of age - and the slower recovery time that comes with age - and the higher level of physical abuse met out on them game night in and game night out?